Trying to hear two audio sources at once

SPG
Go to solution Solved by doits,

Plug tv audio into blue 3.5mm line in on motherboard. Then you can control volume and windows mixes it. Then use green 3.5 to headset.

So, I'm trying to hear my TV's audio and my PC audio (mainly just discord) through my headphones since I don't want my mic to pick up my game audio for all my friends. Right now I have this janky solution that technically works...but not the way I want it to and I'm amazed it even does right now.

So currently I have an aux cord going from the tv, into a male to dual female y splitter. one female end goes to my headphones, the other female end goes to my TV. The male end plugs into my computer.

My pc audio sounds fine, but it only comes out of the left side on the headphones, and the TV audio also only comes from the left, and it gives me static.

If i unplug my computer audio the TV sounds fine and comes through both speakers in the headphones.

This is sort of working because the pc is supplying the main feed to the splitter like it normally would and sending it into my headphones "fine" while the TV is trying to force audio through the splitter and into the computer, and my headphones as well. So the splitter acts like a passthrough than a splitter when I unplug the pc connection.

This....technically shouldn't work and should be more like a dual male to female cord, but all of those are just splitting headphone and mic audio and doesn't end up working. (at least form the few options I have tried)

Does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't require me to get something expensive like a sound mixer.

Side note, I found a few solutions by plugging my tv audio into my mic jack on my computer and just have the line play like a mic, for some reason that doesn't work that well.

14 minutes ago, SPG said:

Side note, I found a few solutions by plugging my tv audio into my mic jack on my computer and just have the line play like a mic, for some reason that doesn't work that well.

This would have been my suggestion.  Plug the TV's sound output into a mic jack on your PC and then go into the settings for the mic device and "listen to this device".  Note that the sound will probably be delayed by around 200 ms but unless you're interacting with the TV you won't notice or care.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

40 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This would have been my suggestion.  Plug the TV's sound output into a mic jack on your PC and then go into the settings for the mic device and "listen to this device".  Note that the sound will probably be delayed by around 200 ms but unless you're interacting with the TV you won't notice or care.

I said it didn't work already....so that doesn't work now

6 minutes ago, SPG said:

I said it didn't work already....so that doesn't work now

But it should... I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

But, if it won't, then perhaps there is another way to do it with wires.  I also would have tried the splitter thing you did ... interesting and unfortunate how that turned out.

I know you want to avoid it but a mixer really is the best way do deal with this and it's what they're built for.  Keep in mind you don't have to get a fancy $300 one; your usecase is very simple so it should be doable for very cheap.  Something like this: (although I think this might be mono so not ideal >_<)

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MX400-Ultra-Low-Noise-4-Channel/dp/B000KGYAYQ/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But it should... I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

But, if it won't, then perhaps there is another way to do it with wires.  I also would have tried the splitter thing you did ... interesting and unfortunate how that turned out.

I know you want to avoid it but a mixer really is the best way do deal with this and it's what they're built for.  Keep in mind you don't have to get a fancy $300 one; your usecase is very simple so it should be doable for very cheap.  Something like this: (although I think this might be mono so not ideal >_<)

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MX400-Ultra-Low-Noise-4-Channel/dp/B000KGYAYQ/

no idea why it doesn't. I tried plugging my phone in to test it...and it sort of worked, but it was very muffled and distorted (both ports, motherboard and front IO) when I plugged the TV in, I got nothing at all.

What really annoys me is that I did this with wires and splitters before, but the cable I used got lost somehow and I haven't been able to find a new one since....and I don't evne know where the first one game from either to be perfectly honest, i know I didn't buy it.

Plug tv audio into blue 3.5mm line in on motherboard. Then you can control volume and windows mixes it. Then use green 3.5 to headset.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

1 hour ago, doits said:

all audio ports on my motherboard are black, so you'll have to be more specific

2 minutes ago, SPG said:

all audio ports on my motherboard are black, so you'll have to be more specific

oh, one of those.  rip.  Well, it probably says in the manual which one is what, but I really wish manufacturers wouldn't do this.  There is a universally agreed upon standard colour coding for a reason

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, one of those.  rip.  Well, it probably says in the manual which one is what, but I really wish manufacturers wouldn't do this.  There is a universally agreed upon standard colour coding for a reason

I seem to got it to work. Everyone was saying to make it a mic input, and not line in. What port I plug audio in doesn't actually matter all that much apparently because a pop up asks me what it is. So if I select line in instead of mic it works fine and as it should. Thank you guys for the help.