1960s PC

Arobass

I personally don't see the 60s inspiration, but it's a nice case. Well done.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Cheers, yeah it's very stylized its actually based off of a chair design from the 1960s with the legs. But like you pointed out is it more loosely inspired by so not massively obvious, just trying to bring back some design elements and modernize them a little. maybe furniture based PC would have been a better title!

1 hour ago, Arobass said:

Cheers, yeah it's very stylized its actually based off of a chair design from the 1960s with the legs. But like you pointed out is it more loosely inspired by so not massively obvious, just trying to bring back some design elements and modernize them a little. maybe furniture based PC would have been a better title!

Quote me, almost didn't see your reply ;)

It would be cool if you kinda copied those huge IBM computers and sort of incorporated that into your case, that would have been cool.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Quote me, almost didn't see your reply ;)

There ;) I'm thinking of making another one some time in the future so any pics of something like that for inspiration would be cool thanks.

25 minutes ago, Arobass said:

There ;) I'm thinking of making another one some time in the future so any pics of something like that for inspiration would be cool thanks.

Maybe 60 is too early, but maybe some IBM PC compatible case modding?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

38 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe 60 is too early, but maybe some IBM PC compatible case modding?

Yeah it would be cool to find an old IBM PC and CRT and see if I can keep the monitor working as original with new components.

1 hour ago, Arobass said:

Yeah it would be cool to find an old IBM PC and CRT and see if I can keep the monitor working as original with new components.

There was a guy on this forum who put an ITX PC (albeit not a very powerful one) inside an old Mac, it was really cool and well done.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

@Arobass This is a very nice scratch build. The cuts at the back look extremely clean and usable, the wing-nuts make it seem like it's pretty easy to work with, the spacing between the actual case and the top panel is very nice to look at, and every part looks flush with the others (did you add the piece of dark wood to the top panel yourself ? It looks like it's always been there). Also, you've done a good job at making the feet part of the case's body. That's quite unique. Congrats.

Do we get to see the insides ? Did you use an existing tray, or did you mount the components directly to the wood ?

Did you actually use wood or something like plywood with a wrap on it? Either ways, cool build. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 10:27 PM, InertiaSelling said:

@Arobass This is a very nice scratch build. The cuts at the back look extremely clean and usable, the wing-nuts make it seem like it's pretty easy to work with, the spacing between the actual case and the top panel is very nice to look at, and every part looks flush with the others (did you add the piece of dark wood to the top panel yourself ? It looks like it's always been there). Also, you've done a good job at making the feet part of the case's body. That's quite unique. Congrats.

Do we get to see the insides ? Did you use an existing tray, or did you mount the components directly to the wood ?

The inside is kind of a mess but I'll try and take some pictures of the inside. Thanks :)  and yes I inlay-ed the mahogany by hand. Also there is a custom MDF tray with 3D printed motherboard standoffs because the mother board is a BTX standard so it can be replaced with ATX.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:20 AM, ImadKnight said:

Did you actually use wood or something like plywood with a wrap on it? Either ways, cool build. 

On 9/19/2017 at 12:31 PM, DIY tech said:

To me it looks from some luxurious future <3 loved it

Thanks for all the nice feedback and yes it is solid oak and mahogany :) I was very lucky and i managed to get some for free!