Kubuntu not storing WiFi passwords

Go to solution Solved by Tech N Gamer,

Holy shit! So for some reason, I have to manually open the wallet, add the WiFi SSID under password, then type the wifi's password. Why it doesn't do this automatically is beyond me. I've might have fucked something up when I did sudo chown -Rv tech ~.

So Kubuntu is not storing WiFi passwords at all. I have no idea why! Some sites say to enable the wallet. Others say to change the network manager (which doesn't seem to be on my Linux distro) and it's just confusing the shit out of me. Can someone please help, I'm getting irritated by Linux and KDE. The laptop specs are as followed:

• Core i5-2450M
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • 1 TB WD Blue HDD
  • 6GB of RAM (5.9 Available)
  • Intel Celeron WiFi card

Theirs only one partition on the HDD and that's the Kubuntu partition.

PS: I used to have Ubuntu, I accidentally killed it, then I installed KDE Neon, but it was acting weird so now I'm trying Kubuntu.

Brah, do you even Java?

I'm kind of noob-ish with Linux but I've been playing with Ubuntu for some time. Since a lot of Linux distros are similar I'd say connect to the Wi-Fi source. Then go to the Wi-Fi connection settings. It might say in there somewhere "save password" like with a check box or something.

Just trying to help but I'm really not the right person for the question.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I'm kind of noob-ish with Linux but I've been playing with Ubuntu for some time. Since a lot of Linux distros are similar I'd say connect to the Wi-Fi source. Then go to the Wi-Fi connection settings. It might say in there somewhere "save password" like with a check box or something.

Just trying to help but I'm really not the right person for the question.

Yup tried that, it just forget's the password as soon as I save it.

Brah, do you even Java?

with KDE the passwords are stored in the wallet, which when set up correctly unlocks when you log into your account.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

with KDE the passwords are stored in the wallet, which when set up correctly unlocks when you log into your account.

Okay, well the wallet is on its default settings. I've changed nothing about the wallet at all so do I need to change something?

Edited by Tech N Gamer
I can't spell for shit!

Brah, do you even Java?

Just now, Tech N Gamer said:

Okay, well the wallet is on its default settings. I've changed nothing about the wallet at all so do I need to change something?

if i could magically solve your KDE wallet issues, i wouldnt be on xubuntu right now :P

I am not familiar with Kubuntu; I have always used Gnome or no gui-less.

seems like a flaw in your OS and you should really post this into their mailing list or forum.

In most "network managers" there will be a folder in /etc that stores your wifi settings.

In Gnome & Unity/Ubuntu this folder is /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/NAME_OF_YOU_NETWORK

In the debian-like distros, if you fail to connect because of incorrect password or a faulty AP, it will be discarded and not save the password anywhere which is what you are experiencing.

I dont know where your distribution stores wifi passwords.

I dont know if you have your wifi drivers are working.

I dont know if you have other devices that can conned to your wifi.

These are all places I would explore.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I am not familiar with Kubuntu; I have always used Gnome or no gui-less.

seems like a flaw in your OS and you should really post this into their mailing list or forum.

In most "network managers" there will be a folder in /etc that stores your wifi settings.

In Gnome & Unity/Ubuntu this folder is /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/NAME_OF_YOU_NETWORK

In the debian-like distros, if you fail to connect because of incorrect password or a faulty AP, it will be discarded and not save the password anywhere which is what you are experiencing.

I dont know where your distribution stores wifi passwords.

I dont know if you have your wifi drivers are working.

I dont know if you have other devices that can conned to your wifi.

These are all places I would explore.

Other devices can connect to other wifi's just fine.

The WiFi driver, by what I know, is working fine. I don't know, I might have to reinstall Kubuntu and manually move my applications over one at a time.

Brah, do you even Java?

Holy shit! So for some reason, I have to manually open the wallet, add the WiFi SSID under password, then type the wifi's password. Why it doesn't do this automatically is beyond me. I've might have fucked something up when I did sudo chown -Rv tech ~.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Other devices can connect to other wifi's just fine.

The WiFi driver, by what I know, is working fine. I don't know, I might have to reinstall Kubuntu and manually move my applications over one at a time.

this does not make sense. so you cant connect manually through cli on your system?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Tech N Gamer said:

i thought so. You have a distro quirk. In the open source world everyone is independent which means conflicts that make user friendliness difficult.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

i thought so. You have a distro quirk. In the open source world everyone is independent which means conflicts that make user friendliness difficult.

And that, in my opinion, is why Linux distros won't be as popular (excluding Android) as Windows or macOS. Don't get me wrong, open-source is nice because people can see if anything is hidden in there, but when anyone can contribute, it's going to be a mess.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

And that, in my opinion, is why Linux distros won't be as popular (excluding Android) as Windows or macOS. Don't get me wrong, open-source is nice because people can see if anything is hidden in there, but when anyone can contribute, it's going to be a mess.

its really not so bad if you stick to upstream distros. debian, arch, fedora, centos, redhat. these are distros that have standards. some are commercial some are democratic. It is disappointing to see kubuntu not perform out of the box but it is not one that I recommend so if it was not for your post I would not know about this usability problem.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 9/15/2017 at 1:43 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

its really not so bad if you stick to upstream distros. debian, arch, fedora, centos, redhat. these are distros that have standards. some are commercial some are democratic. It is disappointing to see kubuntu not perform out of the box but it is not one that I recommend so if it was not for your post I would not know about this usability problem.

Don't forget openSUSE. They work with upstream a lot and they're known for doing KDE well.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, Tech N Gamer said:

It does work automatically, normally. Last time I tried Kubuntu 17.04, it did. I don't know why it didn't work for you. If you want something else based on Ubuntu, there's KDE Neon.

26 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Don't forget openSUSE. They work with upstream a lot and they're known for doing KDE well.

It does work automatically, normally. Last time I tried Kubuntu 17.04, it did. I don't know why it didn't work for you. If you want something else based on Ubuntu, there's KDE Neon.

I've tried KDE Neon, but it flips it shit on my laptop. Don't know why, it just doesn't like to boot normally.

Brah, do you even Java?

1 hour ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I've tried KDE Neon, but it flips it shit on my laptop. Don't know why, it just doesn't like to boot normally.

It might be because it's based on Ubuntu 16.04, if your laptop has new hardware. If that's the case, you might be better off with the Fedora KDE spin, Arch, Manjaro or openSUSE Tumbleweed. I personally use openSUSE Tumbleweed. It's bleeding edge like Arch, but it has sophisticated, automated quality control and it's not as "manual" as Arch.

1 hour ago, noahdvs said:

It might be because it's based on Ubuntu 16.04, if your laptop has new hardware. If that's the case, you might be better off with the Fedora KDE spin, Arch, Manjaro or openSUSE Tumbleweed. I personally use openSUSE Tumbleweed. It's bleeding edge like Arch, but it has sophisticated, automated quality control and it's not as "manual" as Arch.

Nope, the laptop is from 2012, so it's 5 almost 6 years old.

Brah, do you even Java?

1 minute ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Nope, the laptop is from 2012, so it's 5 almost 6 years old.

Does Ubuntu 16.04 have the same problem?

38 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Does Ubuntu 16.04 have the same problem?

Saving WiFi passwords? No. But it likes to take a long ass time to boot, unlike Kubuntu which takes less time.

Brah, do you even Java?

6 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Saving WiFi passwords? No. But it likes to take a long ass time to boot, unlike Kubuntu which takes less time.

The latter part is what I meant. So it seems Ubuntu 16.04 and your laptop don't get along, which might explain why your laptop doesn't get along with KDE Neon.

8 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

The latter part is what I meant. So it seems Ubuntu 16.04 and your laptop don't get along, which might explain why your laptop doesn't get along with KDE Neon.

I meant it doesn't have a problem saving wifi passwords. Sorry if that was confusing.

Brah, do you even Java?

17 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I meant it doesn't have a problem saving wifi passwords. Sorry if that was confusing.

I know, that's not what I was talking about. I wanted to know if you also had problems booting up Ubuntu 16.04.

While it's possible that doing `sudo chown -Rv tech ~` screwed something up, Kubuntu has had bad releases in the past, though 17.04 should be pretty good.

Anyway, Manjaro KDE and openSUSE have worked well for me. I haven't used it much, but other people have said good things about Fedora KDE. If you use Steam, Manjaro KDE will probably be the easiest since it comes with Steam installed.

21 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I know, that's not what I was talking about. I wanted to know if you also had problems booting up Ubuntu 16.04.

While it's possible that doing `sudo chown -Rv tech ~` screwed something up, Kubuntu has had bad releases in the past, though 17.04 should be pretty good.

Anyway, Manjaro KDE and openSUSE have worked well for me. I haven't used it much, but other people have said good things about Fedora KDE. If you use Steam, Manjaro KDE will probably be the easiest since it comes with Steam installed.

Well, this laptop is on its deathbed, it's not working well. Hell, Windows committed suicide on that laptop.

Brah, do you even Java?

57 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Well, this laptop is on its deathbed, it's not working well. Hell, Windows committed suicide on that laptop.

How did that happen? File corruption? If so, the hard drive could be the problem.

15 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

How did that happen? File corruption? If so, the hard drive could be the problem.

IDK, I told Windows to run CHKDSK on C:, it tried to boot, kept restarting, used Linux to look at the drive, only a few folders left and all the others were deleted.

Brah, do you even Java?