How do people checkout so fast?

I've been lurking on Amazon the past week for deals. Nothing really caught my eye. But I did experiment with a few things, such as adding an item to my cart prior to the deal going live to see if the price would update in cart. It didn't, but I've only tried once thus far. But more curious, I watched a deal go live and as soon as I clicked the link it was 100% Claimed. I'm talking less than 3 seconds here.

Is there some trick to online holiday shopping I am unaware of, or is it some funny business on Amazon's part? The item in question was a Acer Aspire V7-582PG-6673 15.6-inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (Cold Steel) for $200. Regular price is $793.71.

Here's a screen shot:

post-4278-0-40956200-1386018262_thumb.pn

Upon further inspection, I found where I added the item to my wantlist. It now says "This item is no longer available from the seller you selected." Still, how did they disappear so quickly?

Member 4250

Pressing F5 all day.

That an probably there are quite a few hundred thousand people probably looking at that page at any one time.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

That's how you're supposed to check out a hot girl; fast glance to examine then look away. If you stare too long, you'll look like a creep.

Wait this thread is about a different kind of checkout.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Wait, now that I think about it.. In my e-mail in the "promotions" box, I get a e-mail whenever an item I looked at/have been watching goes on sale. Mystery solved.

either one button checkout or scripted

That's how you're supposed to check out a hot girl; fast glance to examine then look away. If you stare too long, you'll look like a creep.

Wait this thread is about a different kind of checkout.

VERY relevant. OP take notes. You only have 3 seconds.

Error: 410

Thousands upon thousands of people are clicking that claim button.

Also people with faster internet will load the button quicker I guess.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

When GOG did the insomnia sale a little while ago, I tried getting my hands on a few of the freebees, the only way I found to be working was clicking the buy/get now button just as it changed from the one game to the other, and even then I got the message that the server was either overloaded or that the offer had expired :P I somehow managed to get one game though... I didn't particularly want it, but there was no time to check out what it was before getting it :P

either one button checkout or scripted

VERY relevant. OP take notes. You only have 3 seconds.

WTF?!?!?!?

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

When the countdown finishes a claim button pops up under it.

I did that. And I just tried it again with a different item. I clicked the button as soon as it appeared and the same thing happened. My connection is fiber-optic and pretty fast.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3140184294

It must be the sheer volume of people clicking the link as soon as it goes live because I tried the same thing on another link to some of that crappy jewelry they are pedaling and the claim worked. I was unaware that claim meant the item was basically on hold for them until they finish debating the ramifications of their purchase, etc. Now I know for next year.

Member 4250