Halp? 1 FPS in game

mbryant

So I posted my GTX 780 on Craig's list today. I was unable to test it because I had it at work because I let a co-worker borrow it but he never used it. Someone offered to buy it so I rushed home and he was there before me. Unplug my 1070 and put in the 780 to let him test it. I try 2 games, Killing Floor 2 and Borderlands 2. 1FPS in both. I was going to update the drivers but he was in a hurry and drove like an hour to get to me. So I knocked $20 off the price and told him if he got home with it and it still didn't work to let me know. 

Also I should note that when I turned my PC on with the 780 in it that my resolution was 1024x860 or whatever, which is why I assumed it was driver related. Thoughts?  I want to make sure this guy has a working card. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

yeah the card isn't going to work without it's correct driver installed , so install it then try it

2 hours ago, emosun said:

yeah the card isn't going to work without it's correct driver installed , so install it then try it

Didn't have time to, I told him to make sure he does when he gets home. I was asking a lot of him to trust me with $60 bucks for something he wasn't sure would work correctly so he said if I could do $40 he'd take it and if it didn't work he'd forget about it, but even still I didn't want him to be out any money at all for a useless GPU

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

Didn't have time to, I told him to make sur

then what are you asking here , if the card is gone what are we supposed to do.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

then what are you asking here , if the card is gone what are we supposed to do.

Settle my anxiety? Shit dude, I just wanted to make sure this guy wouldn't have any issues with it 

The resolution is definitely going to be a driver issue but I've never had FPS drop in a game like that with incorrect drivers. Maybe I've left it long enough for Windows to find a halfway decent one itself but I've tested a few things before driver updates in the past and it has been fine. Either way it's nothing to worry about, if it is a driver issue you have it sold, if it's not it will come back to you and you can probably diagnose the issue yourself. 

2 hours ago, Zebedeeboing said:

The resolution is definitely going to be a driver issue but I've never had FPS drop in a game like that with incorrect drivers. Maybe I've left it long enough for Windows to find a halfway decent one itself but I've tested a few things before driver updates in the past and it has been fine. Either way it's nothing to worry about, if it is a driver issue you have it sold, if it's not it will come back to you and you can probably diagnose the issue yourself. 

Yeah, I had that issue with 1FPS in game with BL2. it eventually resolved itself. I was sure it was a driver issue but I didn't want the guy to think I screwed him over or anything like that. I have a conscience haha. Anywho I think I posted just because my anxiety went through the roof. 

2 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Settle my anxiety? Shit dude, I just wanted to make sure this guy wouldn't have any issues with it 

WAIT $40 For a 780, SHIT I NEED TO GO TO USA

2 hours ago, Napalm360 said:

Was gonna do $70 but he ended up having to wait on me so I took it to $60. Then since he would have had to drive an hour to get his money back if it didn't work I settled for $40, plus it was his birthday (or supposedly) 

Just now, mbryant said:

Was gonna do $70 but he ended up having to wait on me so I took it to $60. Then since he would have had to drive an hour to get his money back if it didn't work I settled for $40, plus it was his birthday (or supposedly) 

Dang, you got played. IF it were me id take the extra 10min and update drivers (or keep the card)

2 hours ago, Napalm360 said:

Dang, you got played. IF it were me id take the extra 10min and update drivers (or keep the card)

Nah I mean I hadn't touched it in a while and the extra time was my fault because I should have planned better. 

Just now, Napalm360 said:

nah m8 lol

4 minutes ago, mbryant said:

you shouldve just installed the driver in Device Manager real quick while he was there. literally takes 30 seconds and was already on your system with your 1070 drivers. and if for some reason it wasnt, wats another 5 minutes to download them?

he got a dam good deal

Just now, mbryant said:

Nah I mean I hadn't touched it in a while and the extra time was my fault because I should have planned better. 

At least theres less clutter, Must Admit ive made painful learning curves myself, like buying into kaby then realised that ryzen suits me better lol

Just now, Zebedeeboing said:

lol $40 for a 780. I just sold a pair of 750s for £140. USA prices be maaad. 

AHHHHH, Wish you pmed me, Got any cards with >2GB Vram + more power than a 7850?

Lol, not a reseller or anything was just clearing my old system out after upgrading the main pc to 1080 ;) 

1 minute ago, Crusher Golfer said:

New here. Hello all.

I have just helped a friend build his newest gaming computer.  I have a lot of experience in Windows Technology and Custom Builds. I sent him and about 18 others an email I put together to help them all make decision about moving away from the Z97 motherboards or upgrading to the Z10 motherboards.

The Email

Very interesting research and personal experiences since 2013 have led me to a quantifiable choice of what made a really nice Gaming Box between 2013-2015 and 2015-2017. Both scenarios below include 16GB of 1600MHz memory sticks.

2013-2015
Any Z97 Motherboard with an i7-4790K with excellent CPU coolers and a GTX 970 FTW 4GB or Radeon 370 4GB meant (still means) that Gamers were/are going to have great experiences with their 3D/HD games.

2015-2017
Any Z170 Motherboard with the i7-7700K CPU with an excellent CPU cooler with the GTX 1070 8GB FTW or the Radeon RX 580 8GB meant fun times to be had with any PC game.

It goes without saying that there are many mixes and matches of different CPU/s and GPU/s depending on one's budget and preferences. I am pointing out what didn't' break the bank

Lol I think you should make a New Topic Instead Of hijacking one?

You know. You are right. I will move this to a new topic.

@Napalm360

No worries.  You were right and besides, I should have read more about the OP's progress on the post.  I moved the topic to.

28 minutes ago, mbryant said:

I'm sure he'll let you know if he has..."

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)