Always on USB ports

MrSuper
Go to solution Solved by KenjiUmino,
23 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

There is often a setting in the BIOS that will allow you to change this feature.

However, it's usually system-wide. Therefore, you won't be able to keep it on for only one port.

jup, it usually is all or nothing. some boards might have a dedicated "charge port" or make one of the front usb act as a charge port but i have rarely seen that out in the wild if ever.

a different way to do this would be to grab 5V from one of the power supply molex connectors. those turn on and off along with the system.

there are adapters for this you can buy - search for "molex to usb power adapter" 

30cm-PC-Internal-font-b-5V-b-font-2-Pin-

another benefit of doing it this way is that you can keep the led strips usb cable inside the case and hide it just like all the other internal cables 

I just got this USB led strip to put inside my computer. The USB is plugged into the back of the pc and the cable goes inside the case through an open pcie cover. The problem is I want the leds to turn on and off with my pc, but when I turn off my pc the power to the USB ports doesn't stop. 

Is there a port that doesn't have this feature? 

I use this to charge my wireless headset while my pc is off, so I would like to keep it on for 1 port. 

My motherboard is the MSI 970 GAMING. 

There is often a setting in the BIOS that will allow you to change this feature.

However, it's usually system-wide. Therefore, you won't be able to keep it on for only one port.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

23 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

jup, it usually is all or nothing. some boards might have a dedicated "charge port" or make one of the front usb act as a charge port but i have rarely seen that out in the wild if ever.

a different way to do this would be to grab 5V from one of the power supply molex connectors. those turn on and off along with the system.

there are adapters for this you can buy - search for "molex to usb power adapter" 

30cm-PC-Internal-font-b-5V-b-font-2-Pin-

another benefit of doing it this way is that you can keep the led strips usb cable inside the case and hide it just like all the other internal cables