Ryzen 7 1700 or i7 - 7800X

lenbu

Hey,

im building my new pc and im wondering which cpu i should go for.

The Ryzen 7 1700 or the i7-7800X?

I will mainly use my system for gaming and music production, but im also thinking about maybe streaming !

Any suggestions or exp ?

Thanks

Wait for Coffee Lake if your spending that amount of money

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, lenbu said:

I will mainly use my system for gaming and music production, but im also thinking about maybe streaming !

If you mainly use your PC for gaming but you also need more cores, wait for Coffeelake ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, lenbu said:

Hey,

im building my new pc and im wondering which cpu i should go for.

The Ryzen 7 1700 or the i7-7800X?

Any suggestions or exp ?

Thanks

depends on your budget

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

depends on your budget

i would not mention both of them i would not be ready to spend the money :)

24 minutes ago, lenbu said:

i would not mention both of them i would not be ready to spend the money :)

I believe for music production & gaming in both scenario faster cores help. intel coffeelake 8700k would be the ideal cpu for you if you can wait a bit.  

i7-7800X means LGA2066, so X299 plattform. Why? Those boards are damn expensive. Those 4 additional PCIe lanes won't make any difference, because if you actually were in dire need of more lanes you had to choose an i9 – for a lot more money. Or at least an i7-7820X with 8c/16t just as Ryzen 7 offers – still more expensive.

I'd stay clear of X299 unless you really really need lots of PCIe lanes and are willing to spend over 2k on your system.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

They're not even close to the same price, if you are willing to spend that much money on a 7800x then I would assume that you will get a 1080ti as well otherwise you don't have your priorities straight.

16 hours ago, WoodyNL said:

They're not even close to the same price, if you are willing to spend that much money on a 7800x then I would assume that you will get a 1080ti as well otherwise you don't have your priorities straight.

its just a difference of 50 €

I'd suggest Ryzen 1700. I'm using it right now in my new PC for mixing sound and music in Ableton (and few other DAWs, occasionally). 

Since x299 is a high-end platform (not a good one), and since you have the budget, I suggest go for x399 instead, better future proofing. I'm sure one day you will be grateful for those extra PCIE lanes, even in music production. 1900x for now, and you can upgrade to 1950x later. All those compressors and plugins can be quite CPU demanding, both in number of cores and core speed. And you also need a lot of RAM for playback, as of with anything in the pros world. I owned 32GB of RAM right now, and my work is still asking for more ...  

You can see my build in my signature ;) I'm a mixing engineer btw (humbly at entry-on-the-way-to-intermediate level)

AMD Ryzen 1700 3.75ghz@1.3v

G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 2800mhz@1.375v

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

ASUS X370 PRIME PRO

Samsung 960 EVO NVME 250GB

Andyson H6 800W 80Plus Gold

5 minutes ago, K1r4Production said:

I'd suggest Ryzen 1700. I'm using it right now in my new PC for mixing sound and music in Ableton (and few other DAWs, occasionally). 

Since x299 is a high-end platform (not a good one), and since you have the budget, I suggest go for x399 instead, better future proofing. I'm sure one day you will be grateful for those extra PCIE lanes, even in music production. 1900x for now, and you can upgrade to 1950x later. All those compressors and plugins can be quite CPU demanding, both in number of cores and core speed. And you also need a lot of RAM for playback, as of with anything in the pros world. I owned 32GB of RAM right now, and my work is still asking for more ...  

You can see my build in my signature ;) I'm a mixing engineer btw (humbly at entry-on-the-way-to-intermediate level)

Thank you so much. So your doing just fine with using R7 and Abelton ?

1 minute ago, lenbu said:

Thank you so much. So your doing just fine with using R7 and Abelton ?

Yes. At the moment everything is fine-ish. I still sometimes have to use some small tricks to lower the CPU load in Ableton due to multiple compressors/FXs on one track (separate them in different tracks and/or use a return track for FXs, etc). I'm sure there are pro-level mixing engineers and music producers out there have this problems even with high-end processors (10-core 6950x or even 12-core Xeon on Mac Pro), that is why they use proprietary products from Pro Tools, Roland, etc, which is extremely expensive. You can check some topics on Ableton forum about those tricks, but R7 right now is the right budget 8-core processor for my level of work. 8 overclocked cores with hyperthread are really efficient. 

P/S: When I bought my PC, Threadripper was not out yet, and even if it had, I was short on budget. I've planned to buy Threadripper in the next 6 months. Those extra PCIE lanes and DIMM slots is much needed. You can have a bunch of captures cards and other stuffs (extra input ports for synthesizers, sound interface devices, etc) without having to think twice! ;) 

AMD Ryzen 1700 3.75ghz@1.3v

G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 2800mhz@1.375v

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

ASUS X370 PRIME PRO

Samsung 960 EVO NVME 250GB

Andyson H6 800W 80Plus Gold