Looking For A Mechanical Keyboard With Flat Keys.

Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
3 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Where can I find flat keycaps?

2 bucks a pop, $50 will get you 25 - pretty much the entire alphabet.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/flat-keys/

Hi folks.

Background Story:    I do a little bit of theatrical lighting design on the side, and I use a software made by ETC called NOMAD. Nomad is a software package they deploy on their large scale consoles, but they make it available for MAC and PC use - which is dope! So I have Nomad, but I don't have a console with all the fancy knobs and buttons. Conveniently, all those knobs and buttons are mapped to a standard QWERTY keyboard. ie. "Q" is the "CUE" button, and "R" is the "Record" button etc.

So I want to find a mechanical keyboard (because I love the feeling) that preferably has keycaps that are flat and not convex like traditional caps. My reasoning is that I can get vinyl decals made for the keyboard that fit best on flat surfaces. So that way I can have a full-fledged keyboard with all the traditional commands RIGHT on the keys!

Anyone familiar with this kind of keyboard that is less than $50?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

This was me:

Yup

Yup 

Totally doable

Sounds great

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

xD NOPE you can get a basic cheap mech for 50 bucks or if you already have a mech keyboard get a flat key cap set.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

get a flat key cap set.

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

WASD Keyboards has some I think

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

2 bucks a pop, $50 will get you 25 - pretty much the entire alphabet.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/flat-keys/

Damnit i'm a dumbass. I LITERALLY used pimp my keyboard to find a .psd template for my vinyl decals. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

I do a little bit of theatrical lighting design on the side

Just curious,is this profitable in any way without a full time job in said hobby

My life

32 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Just curious,is this profitable in any way without a full time job in said hobby

Sure is! You just have to keep REALLY busy, throw away your weekends, and sleep less than 6 Hrs a Night!/s

No but seriously, It's a lot of work, but a friend of mine that has been working in the industry for 25+ years has his own company, but just recently got a job at a larger company that hires multiple hands for one job. It's most beneficial to work for a larger company because that way you pretty much guarantee that you always have work. Smaller businesses often go weeks without a job. At least, that was his main issue. Not to mention the cost of equipment because hooo wee that stuff's expensive.

1 hour ago, dj_ripcord said:

Hi folks.

Background Story:    I do a little bit of theatrical lighting design on the side, and I use a software made by ETC called NOMAD. Nomad is a software package they deploy on their large scale consoles, but they make it available for MAC and PC use - which is dope! So I have Nomad, but I don't have a console with all the fancy knobs and buttons. Conveniently, all those knobs and buttons are mapped to a standard QWERTY keyboard. ie. "Q" is the "CUE" button, and "R" is the "Record" button etc.

So I want to find a mechanical keyboard (because I love the feeling) that preferably has keycaps that are flat and not convex like traditional caps. My reasoning is that I can get vinyl decals made for the keyboard that fit best on flat surfaces. So that way I can have a full-fledged keyboard with all the traditional commands RIGHT on the keys!

You could just get a mech keyboard then a keycap set for it.

I'm assuming you want them to have the same regular keyboard shape, just a completely flat top, not completely flat like a chiclet key.

Also, nice to see another lighting guy. I spent the last two years in high school on an ETC Element 60/250 in a pretty nice theatre.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

47 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It's difficult to make good money on it unless you're quite skilled and have your name out there. The most I've done with theatrical lighting was a few years in high school, though I did consider it as a career path, so I did a bit of research into it.

And as dj_ripcord said, equipment is incredibly expensive. A decent lighting console will run you upwards of $8,000, and plenty more than that if you want a really good console. Then lighting fixtures are even worse depending on what you want. Typical incandescent fixtures are usually $200-700 each depending on the type, but once you jump over to the world of LED fixtures, they add up pretty quickly. You could easily drop over $6,000 on a single moving head, and thousands on fixed position LED fixtures as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Also, nice to see another lighting guy.

Pleasure to meet another Thespian! - I'm sorry for what I said during tech week.

But I'm sure you can grasp what i'm going for. I want mechanical because all of their consoles are mechanical. But I want flat keycaps so I can make sturdy decals for em. Now, Ernest_L mentioned WASD, who make custom keycaps. But they're $7 a piece! It would cost me $200 to make a keyboard with all the functions!

I'm also currently looking into this bad boy. They even offer the ETC Student discount, so i'm just waiting on them to send me a quote at the moment...

3 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Pleasure to meet another Thespian! - I'm sorry for what I said during tech week.

But I'm sure you can grasp what i'm going for. I want mechanical because all of their consoles are mechanical. But I want flat keycaps so I can make sturdy decals for em. Now, Ernest_L mentioned WASD, who make custom keycaps. But they're $7 a piece! It would cost me $200 to make a keyboard with all the functions!

I'm also currently looking into this bad boy. They even offer the ETC Student discount, so i'm just waiting on them to send me a quote at the moment...

That's pretty neat, I'd expect that it'll still cost at least $150 after the discount.

Another other option is 3d printing, or these https://pimpmykeyboard.com/flat-keys/ certainly not cheap, but cheaper than what WASD would charge you.

Just now, TheKDub said:

That's pretty neat, I'd expect that it'll still cost at least $150 after the discount.

That's what i'm hoping for. It's really a badass piece of kit.

Just now, TheKDub said:

Another other option is 3d printing, or these https://pimpmykeyboard.com/flat-keys/

Damascus Mentioned these earlier. Might just work.

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

That's what i'm hoping for. It's really a badass piece of kit.

Damascus Mentioned these earlier. Might just work.

The other option is wait for who knows how much longer for Tesoro to release this: 

Not sure how much it'll end up costing, but I'm excited for it.

3 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

The other option is wait for who knows how much longer for Tesoro to release this: 

Not sure how much it'll end up costing, but I'm excited for it.

Hnnnngh that looks nice. I really want one. Bet it will go for $99. But I would buy for $69 no questions asked.

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Hnnnngh that looks nice. I really want one. Bet it will go for $99. But I would buy for $69 no questions asked.

I'd buy it even at $99. Chiclet + mechanical + slim is definitely worth it, not to mention I'll need to replace my dying K70 RGB in the next few months if it continues to get worse.

Now it's just a question of if Tesoro is going to even release the keyboard or not... I haven't found any information on it since when they showed it off at CES back in January.