New Ryzen build and Bios issues

Go to solution Solved by wcarr0305,

Well finally solved it with the help of a fellow ryzen user that had the same issue on another forum.

Seems as though the GTX 1080 and my monitor config on display port doesn't like each other lol.

this is why everything seems to boot fine but no display. And when attempting to get into bios it would just go on blank screen. Seems to be a common issue with the gtx 1080 and select monitors.

The Solution was to use an hdmi cable instead. And voila!! got into bios. managed to update it and install all my pending updates for windows as well.

for a while there I thought I had a bad board or something.

Thanks for those who tried to help though.

Hi Guys,

I'm new and registered cause I thought this was the best place to get answers to my problem.

I am not new to building my own PC's and this has by far been the most complicated build I've encountered.

In essence everything runs fine. I am able to get to windows run games though some tend to stutter which it shouldn't due to specs. Seems my old 4790k with gtx 980 is smoother. then this.

But here is the issue.

I've checked my ram spd and saw that it is not running at it's rated speed so I tried to go into bios. But whenever I mash that del key it does not do anything but gets stuck cycling through display port and then goes to infinite black screen.

I've tried resetting cmos by jumper and removing battery unplugged everything still can't get into bios.

Also tried windows 10 method of going into settings then advanced restart to get the menu to go to uefi bios. Nothing works.

But when I don't touch any keys it goes to windows just fine.

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x

MSI B350 Mortar Arctic

MSI GTX 1080 Armor

Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz

Seasonic 750watt Platinum power supply

Coolermaster Hyper 212 LED cooler

Tecware Cube Case

I've been working on this for a few hours now and still don't know why I can't get into bios!

Although whenever I reset cmos it shows the msi boot logo but when pressing delete it doesn't go into bios. Just goes straight to windows.

When I restart again and try hitting del same issues.

Any tips would be much appreciated. I just want to update bios and run my ram at it's proper speed to get better performance.

Stupid question, but are you sure it's the delete key? sometimes it's a different button.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Yeah I tried all variations which I think I forgot to post. Del , f1 , f2

Also tried a different keyboard just to rule out that part. haha

when I built my ryzen pc

i used ryzen 3 and 2666mhz ram but when i checked the bios it was running at 2133mhz so i just assumed i had to input the number myself

(not sure if this is the same but it may help)

Hi Marvin you're lucky to get into bios. I can't even get in that's the problem.

this may sound stupid but have you tried spamming delete before anything shows on screen?

as in before the msi logo

yeah when I do that I don't even get to windows. Seems to just get stuck in limbo confused as heck.

my only guess is that it's something wrong with your motherboard but you could try a troubleshooting video on youtube

Mortar + R7 -X

Top firehazard combination 2017

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

@dave_k yeah I well I guess this is why i'm having these issues.

Anyone know of a way to force me to bios? Even my windows update is not installing properly. Due to the fact that upon restart it would get stuck and i'd have to hard reset the pc just to get it to boot properly. 

And lo and behold update shows it failed. lol 

Not only once but 10 times today. During my 10 installation and restart attempts. 

24 minutes ago, wcarr0305 said:

@dave_k yeah I well I guess this is why i'm having these issues.

Anyone know of a way to force me to bios? Even my windows update is not installing properly. Due to the fact that upon restart it would get stuck and i'd have to hard reset the pc just to get it to boot properly. 

And lo and behold update shows it failed. lol 

Not only once but 10 times today. During my 10 installation and restart attempts. 

There is no worse mobo than the MSI 4+2 and Gigabyte 4+3 for R7-X.

I suggest you get an ASRock or Asus mobo with heatsinks and go with no OC and tie a fan to the VCore heatsink

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Some boards have a boot to bios or restart to bios utility in windows. The other way is to clear cmos so it get stuck on post saying bios error, blah blah blah, press (key) to enter bios setup.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well finally solved it with the help of a fellow ryzen user that had the same issue on another forum.

Seems as though the GTX 1080 and my monitor config on display port doesn't like each other lol.

this is why everything seems to boot fine but no display. And when attempting to get into bios it would just go on blank screen. Seems to be a common issue with the gtx 1080 and select monitors.

The Solution was to use an hdmi cable instead. And voila!! got into bios. managed to update it and install all my pending updates for windows as well.

for a while there I thought I had a bad board or something.

Thanks for those who tried to help though.