buying games you don't own

emosun

Call me old fashioned (you definitely will) but I've never really wanted to or have bought a digital copy of a game. Anybody else sorta in the same boat? I'm not talking about physical media but rather games that are not a standalone product that can be backed up locally.

My reasoning continued: 

I never liked the idea that you'd pay money for something that you didn't actually own. Steam for example didn't really interest me. That I could in theory buy a game , not receive reusable installation media , and the game would only work provided I use this 3rd party software that required several circumstances to be satisfied in order for the game to even run. Not to mention a very long Terms of service agreement that of course favors steam. Essentially , your steam library/account can be deleted at any point with no option for a refund and no legal path to persue to fix the issue. 

I recall seeing a video a while ago of someone attempting to purchase a game on steam several times , steam servers were essentially running so bad that he had to purchase the game twice. It never showed up in his account , but steam still charged his card anyway. When he attempted to get a refund he wasn't able to. So he had to call his credit card company to get steam to refund him. 

That pretty much made me see just how bad not owning what you purchase can really be. 

Like, I can see where you're coming from about not physically owning the game after paying for it, it's a fair enough argument. 

Although, I do like being able to go around other people houses, log into my steam and have my entire collection available without having to carry anything with me. Same goes with PlayStation games. Also I share my PS4 account with someone I live with (My PS4 is his primary one, vise versa), so if a new game comes out we both want, only one of us has to buy it and we both get access, meaning PS4 games are half price for us, technically. 

It's all down to personal preference really :D 

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

I have 1000+ games in my library, sooooo, yeah.

I like physical media, but I'm not against CDNs like Steam or GOG.

If I find a physical copy of a game I already have and the price is insignificant, I'll go ahead and buy it. I often burn my DRM free games to disk just so I have access to it if I don't feel like waiting for it to download (not really an issue, actually) or in case the internet is down (or I go on vacation. I always plop a few disks into my backpack just in case)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I've never wanted to buy a digital game. I like the feeling of having a physical copy in my stack of discs and having an actual case for it. Plus I don't really use Steam much, and I feel more compelled to buy a physical copy rather than a digital copy. Also, can you fix the theme for Day users?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Also, can you fix the theme for Day users?

?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

?

The majority of your text is a light grey, not black. Not to mention that I can't see grey very well to begin with. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I find it weird that so many people are fine with just owning digital copies of every game they have. Well, obviously you're kind of forced into it with computer games now, which I totally understand; imagine having your Steam library in those giant PC game cases. However, I do remember super well how excited I was when I was at Best Buy with my mom, and saw Morrowind, and begged her to buy it for me. She normally wouldn't buy me games, toys, etc, unless it was my Birthday or Christmas, but I kept telling her about how fun it was and how I played it at my friend's house. I also remember when I got Battlefield 2 and CS Source (One that came with HL 2 and Day of Defeat: Source).
I had no idea that generic, store-bought office computers wouldn't have been able to run Battlefield 2 — before BF2, I had only ever played Morrowind, CS 1.6 and Source. This all led to my mom getting me a GT 6800.

Anyway,
Sorry about all that nostalgia talk, but I guess my point is is that there's a definite attachment to when you own something physical; it could have been me just being 12, but today I buy physical copies of games for another, more logical reason:

The only game series that I must physically own are the Pokemon games for GB, GBA, DS, 3DS, and the Metal Gear games, NES, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4. Although, for the consoles, I obviously couldn't have owned digital copies. The reason for the PS4 and 3DS not having digital copies is because digital copies won't be redownloadable in the future.

Unless it's on PC, the only real walls that you'll hit when wanting to play an old digital game is the compatibility with old OS, but even then it can still usually be dealt with. But for a game like Rockband or Guitar Hero, you can no longer buy any of the DLC songs off of the Playstation Store for PS3.

Oh, and you can also resell games that are physical.

TL;DR 
I prefer physical copies because it provides nostalgia, preserves them when they become inaccessible via digital copy, and I can resell them.

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz || GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan) || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) 3200MHZ || MotherboardAsus STRIX Z270-E GAMING || Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Titanium (Windowless) || Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX300 1.1TB, Seagate- Barracuda 2TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

Sometimes I still don't understand why people have this mindset, and then give excuse for being old(school), I'm old.

I've been through these era with pc gaming.

1200px-Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

And I don't miss any of it.

You never own a game, even in the old days, consumers only have right to play it, or whatever EULA they've given to read on, consumers never own it. Digital or physical  form it doesn't matter.

The principle is the same thing as you buy an OS, or Software.

Moving on to the next ramble, which pretty much non-sense, you reading too much conspiracy theory, I'm not even sure you know what your talking about.

Backup steam library is easy as just copy and paste, it doesn't even require any 3rd party software, reinstall steam, and relocate to backup folder/drive.

steamfeatured-720x330.png

the game would only work provided I use this 3rd party software that required several circumstances to be satisfied in order for the game to even run

News flash you can run steam offline, and yes no internet required as long you already installed the game first.

- Multiple buying?

This is the most ridiculous and painfully hard to believe, You never bought game on steam did you, at this point it's also hard to believe if you ever use steam.

There are 3 step when you buy a game, the last step steam provide an option, is it the game want to be put in library, or a gift pack.

If that person already had the game then the only option is gift pack which automatically goes into the inventory.

Even let just say everything you said is true, the refund system is always available with no question asked as long it's 14 days with 2h playtime. I just did it.

6859f2a73b.png

and pretty much everything basically works the same even for Origins, Uplay, and GoG

If your thread is about Digital vs Physical copies then stick to it. don't bring up anything you knew nothing about.

And btw, you also still can buy some physical copies pc games from amazon (Stock varies)

Just buying a physical copy over buying it online I find kind'a pointless, as once it's on your machine it doesn't matter where it's from.

Though I do agree that I'd rather buy it in a way that isn't inherently tied to some account or external service -Problem is that usually that's not your choice.

I'm fine with Steam because it's extremely convenient, it's not overbearing about authentication (there are even games that don't use it at all), and I trust that Valve's level of corporate evil is among the lowest in the game industry (though they don't always think everything through, of course).

Honestly, I don't have any idea how we can do any better -Software is completely unlike any physical thing you buy, because it's just a design. It's a set of information that can be indefinitely duplicated with no effort -If you could buy, say, a 1080ti, then just press a button to magically copy it as many times as you want, I'm sure you could understand why Nvidia wouldn't want you doing that.

It's ridiculous when companies keep people from playing games they've bought, but when they go that far it has nothing to do with buying it physically or digitally.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

The only nightmare I've faced with digital distributions is dealing with that scumbag company G2A and waiting 6 GD months to get a refund for a bum key--and that was with the extra protection add-on.

Steam is pretty stable most of the time I use it and with offline mode, you're not locked out of your entire library. Even when using physical media, that doesn't guarantee you'll always get to enjoy it as intended.

Case in point, for those into the Pokemon series who have sunk many hours building the best team, you get the finger if your game is 2 generations old and you wanna battle online with someone due to server shut downs.

Games get old, servers get retired. It doesn't matter if your game is digital or an actual copy. Unless you have the privilege of having friends coming over to game on the couche locally or a lan party (both hard to do if you're a working adult and living with your significant other), you're not going to enjoy multiplayer forever.

My general view is to enjoy games for what they are when you can. 

Technically you don't own the game anyway. What you paid for was a license to use it. :3

Anyway, on the PC side of things to me it doesn't really matter for AAA titles today anyway. They all ship with some shoddy DRM and godforbid require online activation or at least need to phone home. So that physical copy of Gears of War for PC I have? Useless, since it uses GFWL as the DRM platform and Microsoft recommends not installing it anymore (and something about the activation servers went dead anyway). Sure I could crack it or whatever, but then I have to trust a shady hacker who may not be altruistic about what they do. Most of the cracks I've managed to perpetuate in backups during my less noble years all come back from a malware scanner claiming there's a trojan in them.

I don't really care about having the box either, it takes up space. Games increasingly stopped shipping with manuals so I don't have anything to read while I take a dump look forward to other than the game disk itself. And once I download it, if I don't feel like downloading it again, I stuff it in an external hard drive. There, I now have my technically physical copy of the game.

The only reason why I would like physical copies is to avoid having to wait a day or two downloading them, thanks to my technically-not-broadband-anymore internet speed.

EDIT: Another thing with some PC games is even if you have a disk, if it uses Steam, Origin, or whatnot, you're not playing the game until it redownloads what could be an ass-load of updates because the original copy was from the RTM release. Whereas if you get a digital download from the store, it's very likely going to be up-to-date when you get it again.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Technically you don't own the game anyway. What you paid for was a license to use it. :3

They all ship with some shoddy DRM and godforbid require online activation or at least need to phone home. So that physical copy of Gears of War for PC I have? Useless,

This tbh

Since we're talking licences, it's no different than having a physical copy of Windows 10 and trying to install it on multiple PCs expecting activations to magically work each install off the same disc.

You're definitely not alone. While I do use steam and stuff, some things (the important stuff) I prefer to have a physical copy. Sometimes that might mean that I buy something twice, if I got the digital copy first, but I'm fine with that.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

I have a problem with exchanging money for no physical service/item. Something about it just feels fundamentally wrong for me. 

But that's the world we're forced into today, so ya just gotta suck it up and stick by the rules of capitalism. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

I Grew up getting games in boxes and Loved it, I'm keep to find some boxed games on ebay even if its just the boxes for my bookshelves, BUT honestly I find steam way way to convent to not use. it keeps my games up to date, installs all the extra bits I need to run them and its got a trade, voice and friend system in one. 

If this was 10 years ago, Yeah not a steam fan but lets be honest they have more than proved themselves trust worthy. 

The idea now of me having to drive out to a store, park, buy a game, drive home, FIT A CD DRIVE, install it  to my pc laughable.

SteamFTW:Boxes for Nostalgia 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Also thought i'd add:

What now pissed me off are all the extra DLCs that you can buy. They cost so much more on top of the original game, which just feels wrong. Like, I've bought your damn game and now you charge me even more?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

i have several hundred games in my steam library.

There isnt space in my house to put that, if it was all physical media.

i also wouldnt have all the games that i do have, if they all had to be on disks.  stuff like humble bundle would not exist.

that and i dont have a disk drive so... physical media is out.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

My entire thing is that data management is a HUGE bitch on consoles.

On a PC, you can easily copy/paste onto an external, or drop in another HDD/SSD if you've got an available SATA port and someplace to stick the damn thing.

Consoles, discs and carts much preferred for the most part. PC, download and a backup.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I myself prefer to have the physical copy.  I'm old school though.  Even when Mass Effect Andromeda came out it was only available as Digital.  I did purchase it though and created my own disks for the game itself.  Even went far enough to take the logo and put it on the disk.  But I do also understand Digital.  It is actually a cheaper medium as they do not need to make physical copies of the game.  Thus saving the creators money.  I don't have a huge steam library or any massive digital libraries.  Most of my games are still on disks or in the event of an old system.....floppy disks and tapes....

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

i like how nobody actually read my first post.

I forgot when you post things here people just read the title and respond from there.

I refuse to spend money on things that have DRM attatched to it. I especially refuse to buy something from a company with as crap of costumer service as Steam.

i'm quite comfortable. i can understand why people will act like that, but i feel that they are generally safer when attached to an account if you will. you'll never lose it.

Hue hue hue.