Higher Wattage PSU for Dell Inspiron 3250?

for7hyp3

I'm installed a GT 1030 in my bf's Inspiron 3250 but one issue I ran into is that the included PSU is only 180W which isn't enough and it uses a special SFX form factor, so does anyone know of a higher wattage PSU in a similar form factor that I can replace this one with? From what I've read, people have successfully ran the GT 1030 with a 220W PSU so anything around that should do, if there is a higher wattage than 220W then that's great as 220W is just barely enough with around 10W to play with before going over its rated capacity. The motherboard requires an 8-pin ATX connector and a 4-pin ETX connector. The model # of the current PSU is H180NS-00 and here's what it looks like.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

Just now, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Unfortunately, this won't work, it's not the right form factor for this system. The official specs say it's an SFX PSU but if you look at it the pictures you can see that it's a long rectangular one.

7 minutes ago, for7hyp3 said:

I'm installed a GT 1030 in my bf's Inspiron 3250 but one issue I ran into is that the included PSU is only 180W which isn't enough and it uses a special SFX form factor, so does anyone know of a higher wattage PSU in a similar form factor that I can replace this one with?

that looks more like a TFX or flex ATX than an SFX psu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

that looks more like a TFX or flex ATX than an SFX psu.

Yea that's probably it. 

5 minutes ago, for7hyp3 said:

Unfortunately, this won't work, it's not the right form factor for this system. The official specs say it's an SFX PSU but if you look at it the pictures you can see that it's a long rectangular one.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-geforce-1030&num=6 your 180w unit should still be good enough for the 1030, according to this review. 107w peak(and that's with a 7700k) should be fine for the 180w unit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-geforce-1030&num=6 your 180w unit should still be good enough for the 1030, according to this review. 107w peak power consumption should be fine for the 180w unit.

My bad I forgot to mention his other specs, i5-6400, single stick 8GB DDR3L, 7200 RPM HDD. Those are the main power hungry components, according to Cooler masters PSU calculator it consumes about 150W and with the 30W of the GT 1030, that's riding right on the 180W limit. I know PSU can do a little more than the rating so it can probably handle maybe up to 190-200W but that's way too close for comfort plus I don't want to run the PSU slightly over its rated capacity all the time.

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

My bad I forgot to mention his other specs, i5-6400, single stick 8GB DDR3L, 7200 RPM HDD. Those are the main power hungry components, according to Cooler masters PSU calculator it consumes about 150W and with the 30W of the GT 1030, that's riding right on the 180W limit. I know PSU can do a little more than the rating so it can probably handle maybe up to 190-200W but that's way too close for comfort plus I don't want to run the PSU slightly over its rated capacity all the time.

coolermaster's psu calculator is pretty much just some random number generator. if a 1030 and 7700k eats 107w at peak, the i5 6400 + 1030 combo would take even less than that.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71760-intel-skylake-i5-6500-i5-6400-i3-6100-review-12.html the 6400 ate around 40% less power than the 6700k under load.

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

coolermaster's psu calculator is pretty much just some random number generator. if a 1030 and 7700k eats 107w at peak, the i5 6400 + 1030 combo would take even less than that.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71760-intel-skylake-i5-6500-i5-6400-i3-6100-review-12.html the 6400 ate around 40% less power than the 6700k under load.

Maybe, I plan on trying it with the stock PSU anyways to see if it runs into power issues. I was just proactively looking for a higher PSU in the case the 180W dosent cut it.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is quite old already but. Ummm... Just a question did the GT 1030 work with your system now? I want to know because I have the same system as yours and want to install a GT 1030. Thanks a bunch if anyone replies /( ^ ~^)/

On 6.9.2017 at 5:20 PM, for7hyp3 said:

it uses a special SFX form factor,

No, looks more like TFX to me.

SFX doesn't work with most Low Profofile Cases.

The motherboard requires an 8-pin ATX connector and a 4-pin ETX connector. The model # of the current PSU is H180NS-00 and here's what it looks like.

You are out of luck and have to deal with the Original PSU...

There is no way to replace it.

And you don't need a new PSU, the original 12V Only 180W should be more than enough.

I know this thread is quite old already but. Ummm... Just a question did the GT 1030 work with your system now? I want to know because I have the same system as yours and want to install a GT 1030. Thanks a bunch if anyone replies /( ^ ~^)/

I don't see any reason why it should not work.

180W is plenty for a lower power CPU and a ~75W CPU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I will try to buy the MSI GT 1030 LP OC then as its the best GPUs I can get. Thanks again Stefan Payne.

8F03DB60-1647-421C-969B-31F62D042944.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MirageFox said:

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I will try to buy the MSI GT 1030 LP OC then as its the best GPUs I can get. Thanks again Stefan Payne.

Aren't the 1050ti Low Profile Options available?
There are like three, MSI Gigabyte and one other (Zotac?) that offer those in Low Profile.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I only have one slot available. That is the same for all the Dell inspiron 3250 systems(Small Form Factor PC Case). So I can't really plug a 2 slot gtx 1050 or 1050ti. Thanks for replying though. Underneath is my forum. Please go there if can help thanks a lot.

20 hours ago, MirageFox said:

Yep, it worked perfectly with no issues at all. The only concern I’ve had in the past few months of running this card in this system is that it does get hot, up into the 80s under load. I don’t know if this is the cooler limitation or the poor air flow in the case but even thought it runs hot it still turbos up to its max the whole time.

Thank you very much. I feel confident now. I will try to get the GT 1030 if I happen to land a good deal in the mining craze. But did you use your 180w PSU in order to run that or did you use a higher end one?

On 23/03/2018 at 7:31 PM, for7hyp3 said:

Yep, it worked perfectly with no issues at all. The only concern I’ve had in the past few months of running this card in this system is that it does get hot, up into the 80s under load. I don’t know if this is the cooler limitation or the poor air flow in the case but even thought it runs hot it still turbos up to its max the whole time.

1 hour ago, MirageFox said:

Thank you very much. I feel confident now. I will try to get the GT 1030 if I happen to land a good deal in the mining craze. But did you use your 180w PSU in order to run that or did you use a higher end one?

No, I used the original 180w PSU, it was to much trouble to find a higher end one or mod an ATX PSU. 180W is plenty for this card, when OEMs calculate the wattage for a system they factor in the power a PCIe slot can deliver. So in this model 35W(CPU)+20W(~10W/stick of ram)+75W(max possible PCIe power)+~10W(HDD)+~10W(chipset)+30W(other devices; fans, USB, other motherboard components, etc)=~180W total. Since the 1030 only uses 30W you have plenty of power available, even enough for a 1050ti since they draw only 75W and we’re designed to run off only PCIe slot power.

19 hours ago, for7hyp3 said:

No, I used the original 180w PSU, it was to much trouble to find a higher end one or mod an ATX PSU. 180W is plenty for this card, when OEMs calculate the wattage for a system they factor in the power a PCIe slot can deliver. So in this model 35W(CPU)+20W(~10W/stick of ram)+75W(max possible PCIe power)+~10W(HDD)+~10W(chipset)+30W(other devices; fans, USB, other motherboard components, etc)=~180W total. Since the 1030 only uses 30W you have plenty of power available, even enough for a 1050ti since they draw only 75W and we’re designed to run off only PCIe slot power.

Thank you very much this upgrade will help me a lot through highschool. As i do Graphics Editing and Movie Editing. Thank you again!(ˆ▽ˆ) 

Just now, MirageFox said:

Thank you very much this upgrade will help me a lot through highschool. As i do Graphics Editing and Movie Editing. Thank you again!(ˆ▽ˆ) 

No problem, glad to help. With GPU prices finally starting to drop again nows a great time to get one.

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this is a really old thread but I want to know the details of your specs the i5 you mentioned is it the 6th gen or older?Would like to know more about the details thx.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, x_Xouls said:

Hi I know this is a really old thread but I want to know the details of your specs the i5 you mentioned is it the 6th gen or older?Would like to know more about the details thx.

" i5-6400, single stick 8GB DDR3L, 7200 RPM HDD. Those are the main power hungry components"