Free 3D modeling software for 3D printing

Skreedles

Blender

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

You can try Blender or 123D Design (the latter has a paid version as well though).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

BLENDER. It's an amazing free piece of software with the entire 3D pipeline. Next to maya, it's the industry standard. Only problem is it has quite a learning curve.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

123D Design

not available for download anymore, sadly enough, it is indeed good software, I use it too

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

7 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

not available for download anymore, sadly enough, it is indeed good software, I use it too

Oh really?  Didn't know that. Too bad.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I personally really like to use Autodesk Fusion 360. 

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Spend a couple of hundred bucks and get Moment of Inspiration. It's by one of the original designers of Rhino 3D and is super simple to learn. Michael Gibson, the designer, even answers your questions on the MOI message boards.

www.moi3D.com

Alternatively. Rhino has a free trial download that will allow you to save, convert, import and export. A lot of programs won't let you do that. They've gotten pricier over the years, but as a free trial download it's pretty good.

Perhaps best of all, in the free category, is Google Sketchup. They have both free and paid versions. The free version is perfect for a beginner just learning the basics, and yes, you can export to .STL format to print your designs.

Personally, I'd spend a few bucks and go MOI but that's just me. The level of support and the user forums and helpfulness are truly outstanding. If you can't afford that, I'd suggest a combination of Sketchup and Rhino Trial Version. Also, try to discern the differences between solid modeling programs and NURBs based programs, like MOI. They do the same things, but have different ways of achieving them. In my view, solid modelers are easier to learn, but NURBs based programs handle lofts and organic curves and shapes far, far better. It all comes down to what you're comfy with, and what you're trying to accomplish. You might also want to go for a parametric modeling program, whichever program you ultimately wind up with. 

Bob