Some Good x370 Motherboards

Hey so I've decided to upgrade my i5 6600k to a Ryzen 7 1700 So I just need some good motherboards around the 200$ price (Looks are also important)

Why x370? 

Asus Prime X370 and MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon are both quite good options. The AsRock Taichi should be around that price range too.

I would suggest you check memory compatibility with the set you're planning to buy, as it has gotten better but isn't perfect across the board.

My CL16 3200Mhz set can only run at 2933Mhz with my MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, AlenMustang said:

Hey so I've decided to upgrade my i5 6600k to a Ryzen 7 1700 So I just need some good motherboards around the 200$ price (Looks are also important)

C6H

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

12 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Asus Prime X370 and MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon are both quite good options. The AsRock Taichi should be around that price range too.

I would suggest you check memory compatibility with the set you're planning to buy, as it has gotten better but isn't perfect across the board.

My CL16 3200Mhz set can only run at 2933Mhz with my MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.

MSI Pro Carbon has awful VRM for the price

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

15 minutes ago, AlenMustang said:

For that money, Asus Strix X370-F is a steal.

14 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why x370? 

Please not these people. VRMs on B350 arent good enough for anything but a R7 fully stock non overclocked

X370 STRIX or PRIME. ASRock is also nice

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

MSI Pro Carbon has awful VRM for the price

What kind of 'level' should the price be for these types of VRM? Are we talking 100 USD board type of VRM?

Also, what places do you recommend for more elaborate reviews of (AM4) motherboards and their VRM? Been looking for a place to get some more information on it, but all reviews don't go into more depth than just the basics of overclocking the CPU and memory..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

What kind of 'level' should the price be for these types of VRM? Are we talking 100 USD board type of VRM?

Also, what places do you recommend for more elaborate reviews of (AM4) motherboards and their VRM? Been looking for a place to get some more information on it, but all reviews don't go into more depth than just the basics of overclocking the CPU and memory..

Basically, this is just a bit glorified Tomahawk type VRM which is sorta trash, uses cheapo parts (under $0.5 piece). These parts were on the failing AM3+ MSI mobos.

Noone talks about that because noone knows, normal reviewers will recommend Tomahawk for R7 OC because they have no idea that the VRM runs hot or even the parts. This info is inside the deep digging and overclocking community, mainly overclock.net 

It is "fine" but there is no reason for buying that until you have mental disorder including carbon fiber fetish (lel). Asus's and ASRock's solutions are way more efficient and powerful.

For comparison, MSI X370 Xpower has so bad VRMs (Tomahawk same parts), that it has maximum of 252A at 64W of heat (we are talking full Ryzen CPU here), while Asus Prime X370 Pro tops with same amount of phases for the CPU (and actually 2 more for SoC) out at 240A with much higher efficiency (the mosfets are rated 90% under 25A current drain) and costs 1/2 of the Xpower.

The same parts as on X370 Pro are on C6Hero (8 phase) and Taichi/Professional Gaming(12phase). For comparison, Crosshair 6 Hero has 46°C hot VRM heatsink with R7 at 1.4V and X370 Carbon has 75°C on the heatsink with R7 - same parameters