CPU is not being cooled

Hi,

I've started building my first AiO cooled system, but when I turn on the PC, the CPU temperature grows too fast, I can only look in bios for a minute or two before it gets dangerously hot.

During the POST, I get message that "CPU fan speed error detected". In the bios though, I can see the RPM of the pump (Sometimes jumps to insane values like 20 000 for few seconds, then goes back to around 2300 RPM), the pump is connected to the CPU Fan header on motherboard. 

The temperature of CPU reaches 90°C in about a minute. Even if the temperature is offset by 20°C, it's still too high.

For the cooler installation, I removed the existing standoffs from motherboard, kept the existing backplate from the motherboard as is written in the manual, installed AMD standoffs, swapped the bracket on the pump and seated the pump on the CPU, securing it with the thumbscrews. The fit is pretty solid, there is no wobble or any other issue I could think of.

I have tried re-seating the pump on the CPU, didn't help. (New thermal paste applied.)

The radiator itself stays cold. Could be because of the short time the system can run, I don't know.

First I suspected that the cooler is not touching the CPU, but that was not the case.

Fans on the radiator are spinning, so I don't think the issue is there. 

That leads me to think that there might be some issue with the pump.

This is my first time using AiO cooler, so it might actually be some rookie mistake. All tips and hints appreciated.

Build parts:

AMD Ryzen R7 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

AMD RX Vega 64 LC LE

16GB G.Skill  TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16

NZXT Kraken x62 

Samsung Evo 960 250GB

Not trying to offend, but did you remember to take the plastic off the pump (there's plastic covering the base of many AiO coolers)?

Quote me in replies so I see them.

1 minute ago, VikingGaming said:

Not trying to offend, but did you remember to take the plastic off the pump (there's plastic covering the base of many AiO coolers)?

He mentioned he re applied thermal paste

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Can you tell if the pump is working?

Not 100% sure, I don't know how quiet it should be, there might be some sound comming from it but the GPU fan is too loud to be sure.

1 minute ago, VikingGaming said:

No problem, yes, the cover was taken off.

I had the same problem when I upgraded my system, although it was with a 2066 board and a Corsair cooler, but I digress. Is there any possibility that you have used the wrong screws? Sometimes there's multiple screws that will fit, but they might be too tall (meaning the pump unit won't get full contact with the CPU).

Based on the inconstant RPM being reported and the CPU fan error, can you hear the pump working? Is it making a grinding noise or gurgling? I think the pump is dead. 

Yours faithfully

You may be able to feel vibrations from it's motor or hear the pump. Also, switch the pump to a different header on the motherboard, look for cpu_pump

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

6 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

I had the same problem when I upgraded my system, although it was with a 2066 board and a Corsair cooler, but I digress. Is there any possibility that you have used the wrong screws? Sometimes there's multiple screws that will fit, but they might be too tall (meaning the pump unit won't get full contact with the CPU).

I used the only screws that were supplied for AMD. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Based on the inconstant RPM being reported and the CPU fan error, can you hear the pump working? Is it making a grinding noise or gurgling? I think the pump is dead. 

Not any noticable. The GPU AiO is comparably louder, so it might be right. I will try testing this tomorrow again with the GPU in further slot so the noise sources aren't so close.

Just now, Terriaki said:

I used the only screws that were supplied for AMD. 

Not any noticable. The GPU AiO is comparably louder, so it might be right. I will try testing this tomorrow again with the GPU in further slot so the noise sources aren't so close.

You could remove the GPU entirely, you don't need to system to post, just power up to run the pump, However if you can't hear it over another AIO then it's probably not working, or just a newer quieter model (HAHAHA, AIO's being quiet, that makes me laugh)

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

You may be able to feel vibrations from it's motor or hear the pump. Also, switch the pump to a different header on the motherboard, look for cpu_pump

No vibrations. Tried using the AIO_PUMP connector which is right next to the CPU_FAN, no difference.

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

HAHAHA, AIO's being quiet, that makes me laugh

Glad I made you laugh. :D

I will try tomorrow to run it without the GPU then. I kind of hope it's not the case, I don't want to wait 30 days for the shop to fulfill the warranty. :/ 

Just now, Terriaki said:

Glad I made you laugh. :D

I will try tomorrow to run it without the GPU then. I kind of hope it's not the case, I don't want to wait 30 days for the shop to fulfill the warranty. :/ 

Yeah that can suck, if you bought it in a bricks and mortar shop though they might be able to exchange it there and then, bring all the packaging and stuff.  

Yours faithfully

Hi guys. So I just got home and I tested the system without GPU. At the start, I can hear the water flowing through the pump, one side of the pipes gets hotter than the other and there is slight noise coming out of the pump. I will try to plug in the gpu again in few minutes so I can see the temperatures, but I think the problem still persists, even though the pump is doing something. (As mentioned previously, this is my first experience with AiO, so I can't be 100% sure how it should behave like when working.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 3:04 PM, Terriaki said:

Hi guys. So I just got home and I tested the system without GPU. At the start, I can hear the water flowing through the pump, one side of the pipes gets hotter than the other and there is slight noise coming out of the pump. I will try to plug in the gpu again in few minutes so I can see the temperatures, but I think the problem still persists, even though the pump is doing something. (As mentioned previously, this is my first experience with AiO, so I can't be 100% sure how it should behave like when working.)

Sorry for the late reply here, been busy for a while.

Seeing as "one side of the pipes gets hotter than the others", I assume you are talking about the the tubes from the pump to the radiator? In that case, it sounds like you have a blockage somewhere (meaning that the water does not circulate).