Do You Use Water or Air CPU Cooler? [Poll] Please Vote!

Cooling  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use air or water cooling for your CPU?

• Custom loop / AIO Water Cooling
    • Air Cooling

Wondering what % of the LTT/ "dedicated PC community" uses water cooling over air.

If you have multiple rigs - just choose the one you like more.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I have water, will never go water again.

The H100i V2 i have is the first and likely last watercooler i'll ever get.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I have water, will never go water again.

The H100i V2 i have is the first and likely last watercooler i'll ever get.

Why not?

4 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

Why not?

Aircooling is more silent and performs just as well.

And no risks of leaks. A decent noctua cooler works just as well and probably cheaper too.

edit: also really disappointing performance wise, holy crap it's bad for the money...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

what about passive cooling 

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Worst thing to happen with air cooling is a dead fan, or having to replace thermal paste. 

Actually if you have enough airflow it's not that bad.

I had a system with a mugen 2 cooler and i ignored the fanspeed because the motherboard complained it was too low.

At some point later the fan died and i only figured it out when i was working on it and noticed the fan didn't start spinning after i powered it on.

Eventually figured it a cap blew (actually THE cap, there was only 1) and spitted its acid fluids all over a controller, killing the fan.

Water; my cpu was too loud when gaming with a hard OC.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I like my H110, but ill probably upgrade to a custom loop eventually.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

what about passive cooling 

That's air-cooling or water-cooling. Are you using rads or a heatsink?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

ooh dang. Pretty even split - it's 50/50.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I would've been curious to see custom loops as a different option

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

21 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Aircooling is more silent and performs just as well.

And no risks of leaks. A decent noctua cooler works just as well and probably cheaper too.

edit: also really disappointing performance wise, holy crap it's bad for the money...

don't think i've heard of aircooling being more silent..

more efficient transfer of heat = lower rpm fans (unless you use a massive noctua heatsink which let's face it just looks fucking garbage)

Bad for the money? Maybe. Depends what you go with. On deals, you can find a h100i for $90 which is pretty good. It's not cost efficient, but in 360mm AIO's and custom loops, aircooling comes nowhere near the performance.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I've got a Corsair H60 mainly because I wanted to overclock my CPU and not worry about temps.

4 minutes ago, Armakar said:

more efficient transfer of heat = lower rpm fans (unless you use a massive noctua heatsink which let's face it just looks fucking garbage)

Bad for the money? Maybe. Depends what you go with. On deals, you can find a h100i for $90 which is pretty good. It's not cost efficient, but in 360mm AIO's and custom loops, aircooling comes nowhere near the performance.

because of the pumps aio can be noisier, especially 120mm ones. even high end 240/360 are louder than high end coolers

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

because of the pumps aio can be noisier, especially 120mm ones. even high end 240/360 are louder than high end coolers

CAN be. Not all of them are. If your pump is noisy I guess it's faulty, all the Corsair AIO's ive owned have had 0 pump noises.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Aircooling is almost always more silent because you don't have a pump running at 2K+ rpm.

You also don't need a massive heatsink, something like the CM hyper 412s or whatever isn't massive but performs great.

My H100i was like 110 euro's and aircooler prices don't even go that high, however the highest-end aircoolers do match or even beat the stupid thing...

Of course 360mm aio's or custom WC can beat it but price wise it's in a completely different league. And there's still the risk of leaking.

I'm just not a fan of them, at all. Oh well... The thing does its job well enough and it was expensive enough so for now i'll stick with it.

I use an AIO on my CPU and GPU. 

Mwahaha. I've had custom loops before. Just got tired of the maintenance involved in them. So I went AIO.

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

CAN be. Not all of them are. If your pump is noisy I guess it's faulty, all the Corsair AIO's ive owned have had 0 pump noises.

My H100i is loud compared to a noctua NH-D15, especially when idle the difference is clearly there.

I go custom watercooling for the looks, temps and noise are nice but I still don't think it's worth the money lol

I like everything about custom water cooling. Even the bad stuff. Even water cool my gpu backplates. Because why the hell not.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz