Best programming IDE

Surpuppa
Go to solution Solved by TAHIRMIA,

Microsoft Visual Studio is normally the most common for multiple languages.It is quite resourced heavy though. You can use things like Sublime or Atom or VSCode for a lightweight editor. All 3 do have extension support so you will find things like syntax tools if you need them

I recently started programming at my school and I need a good programming IDE (Or what it is called where you write the code and can test it simultainesuly) for multiple languages, we just quit Python (we used pycharm) and we are moving into Haskell and soon there will be Java. Do I need a new IDE for every language or can I have a single one for many? Sorry if this feels like a very simple/stupid question but Im very new to programming

Microsoft Visual Studio is normally the most common for multiple languages.It is quite resourced heavy though. You can use things like Sublime or Atom or VSCode for a lightweight editor. All 3 do have extension support so you will find things like syntax tools if you need them

Hello

24 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

Do I need a new IDE for every language or can I have a single one for many?

It depends. IDE's tend to support multiple languages but that doesn't mean they support everything. It also doesn't mean that all languages are supported equally. So sometimes you may want to use more than one editor.

If you liked PyCharm, then you'll like IntelliJ for Java. IntelliJ appears to have two plugins for Haskell. I haven't used either of them though, so I can't speak to their quality.

10 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Since my knowledge and workflow is limited I should use the more lightweight editors then?

19 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

Since my knowledge and workflow is limited I should use the more lightweight editors then?

Yes. If you are going to be making basic programs, the more advance you get I would recommend changing editors

Hello

36 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Yes. If you are going to be making basic programs, the more advance you get I would recommend changing editors

Which one of Sublime, Atom or VSCode would you recommend? Or are they all similar?

2 hours ago, Surpuppa said:

Which one of Sublime, Atom or VSCode would you recommend? Or are they all similar?

I can recommend both Atom and VSCode. Just try it out and stick to one, its more a personal preference than a professional reason.

Anything Jetbrains makes gets an endorsement from myself. I can't stand Visual Studio.

For Haskell I hadn't been able to get anything beyond just regular text editor features to work in any of the IDEs and text editors I tried to use. Although gave up after only a day or two cause I needed to get started on assignments. Also I was using windows so that alone creates a bunch of stupid dependency issues and really dumb ways of botching stuff together.

Chances are if I used Linux I'd be able to figure out how to setup IDE functionality for Haskell. I know OSX has this thing http://haskellformac.com/ but I basically just used that as a tutorial series to help me figure out how the heck haskell worked so I don't really know if it's a solid IDE or not.

16 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Atom or VSCode for a lightweight editor

LOL. Seriously, none of those large, sluggish pieces of bloat are "lightweight".

I do, however, recommend to try and stick with one editor for everything. Since Visual Studio can't do all languages (nor can any other IDE), this might be your chance to step away from IDEs altogether.

Write in C.

23 hours ago, Surpuppa said:

They are all very similar. I personally use VSCode the most.

Hello

7 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

LOL. Seriously, none of those large, sluggish pieces of bloat are "lightweight".

How are any of these bloat. You get a simple editor which you can expand with using plugins at choice. 

Hello

A software which is bloated as fuck is still bloated as fuck if your computer wastes CPU cycles quickly enough so you don't notice it.

Write in C.

How about a text editor that is not based on a full-blown web browser engine? There are more than enough of them.

There is a large area between "uses half a GiB of RAM" and notepad.exe.

Write in C.

6 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Actually the keyboard shortcuts on emacs/vim are legitimate. They're not intuitive in the least and don't offer the basic expectations people are used to when they manipulate text.

Although I don't use vi/Vim anymore, I feel the urge to step in here: The Vim shortcuts are perfectly intuitive. Simple example: Delete three words and paste them to the beginning (column 0): d3w0p

Do that in your intuitive editor.

switching back and forth between the standard and my way

"The standard" - which one? CUA is a, but not the standard.

I experience going back and forth from Mac OS to Windows all day. No matter how used I get to both environments, I'll often end up mashing alt + s when I meant to hit ctrl + s.

Good editors let you configure one set of shortcuts for all systems. I did that with Emacs once - I only had to remap the "Meta" key in a conditional block. :) 

it's a weakness of any program to either lack functionality that's perceived as universal or (worse) implement it in a way that's unstandard.

Everything is "unstandard", depending on where you come from.

Write in C.

20 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Although I don't use vi/Vim anymore, I feel the urge to step in here: The Vim shortcuts are perfectly intuitive. Simple example: Delete three words and paste them to the beginning (column 0): d3w0p

Out of curiosity, do you still use Vim shortcuts in whatever your editor of choice is now?

I personally stick with sublime. For only one reason: it is snappy as fuck. 

Atom crashes on my a lot of times, especially when importing large files... 

And it is slow as hell. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I use Visual Studio when doing anything .NET related and ATOM for anything else. Atom is a great alternative.

I use Visual Studio for C++ for now. Visual studio in my experience is far more extensive in terms of feature than any other IDE I have used( Atom. Dev C++, Codeblocks). I had little tough time trying to understand UI of VS first.

In compiling?

VS is slower than above mentioned IDE`s.

I found debugging alot easier on VS aswell

53 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

In compiling?

VS is slower than above mentioned IDE`s.

What does a IDE have to do with compile-time ?