Ideas For New Rig?

Trulop

I'm planning on doing a new PC build within the next 6 months or so. With all the new releases of new chips happening now/and coming soon, im debating whether to pick parts now or wait juuuust a bit longer. What are your thoughts?

I would like to build a nice "Gaming" rig, that can record and edit up to 4k video (will be playing in 2k, but want to be able to upgrade monitor later on to 4k with no hiccups), can stream and record simultaneously (at least 1080p 30-60FPS), and can it be done in the 3k-3.5k price range effectively? 

im not sure if looking into a Raid 10 setup would be a good idea for the speed, storage, and redundancy, or should i go with just the basic, 120GB SSD boot drive, 500GB NVME, and 2x 2tb 7200 RPM HDD (Raid 1). If you think this would not be enough storage for the needs of the PC, please advise into what range of storage i should be looking at.

I dont mind Team Blue/Red, and im really not willing to skimp on durability or reliability of parts for a cheaper price outcome. If this build isnt doable with the price range, how much would be a rough minimum to get into something like this?

3 minutes ago, Trulop said:

I'm planning on doing a new PC build within the next 6 months or so. With all the new releases of new chips happening now/and coming soon, im debating whether to pick parts now or wait juuuust a bit longer. What are your thoughts?

I would like to build a nice "Gaming" rig, that can record and edit up to 4k video (will be playing in 2k, but want to be able to upgrade monitor later on to 4k with no hiccups), can stream and record simultaneously (at least 1080p 30-60FPS), and can it be done in the 3k-3.5k price range effectively? 

im not sure if looking into a Raid 10 setup would be a good idea for the speed, storage, and redundancy, or should i go with just the basic, 120GB SSD boot drive, 500GB NVME, and 2x 2tb 7200 RPM HDD (Raid 1). If you think this would not be enough storage for the needs of the PC, please advise into what range of storage i should be looking at.

I dont mind Team Blue/Red, and im really not willing to skimp on durability or reliability of parts for a cheaper price outcome. If this build isnt doable with the price range, how much would be a rough minimum to get into something like this?

You should definitely be able to build a good system for that price, especially with Ryzen 7 out (best processor in terms of price/performance for editing and streaming)

Does the 3-3.5k budget include monitor and peripherals? Also is theis US dollars, euro pound, Indian rupies. etc

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

RYZEN 7 1700, when you build your PC see if Volta or is Volta near, if not then buy a 1080ti

you don't need raid 10 for recording, 150MB from a HDD is plenty. 

You could get a nvme m.2 SSD just for showing off but it's not really worth 2x the price for 0.5s faster Windows boot up speeds. It's more worth it to buy a large SSD for all the games. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, Trulop said:

That's plenty of budget.

For sure the "best" combination without wasting money would be a Threadripper (Which is new) and 1080Ti combo (Which isn't gonna be replaced soon by Volta). So there isn't really a need to wait more, just choose when you feel comfortable to spend on it. Couple them with plenty of memory if you are going to edit videos in 4K.

A less costly option which is very worth considering is Ryzen 7. Yes, also X99 or X299, but they will add a premium and their benefits actually depend on which software you are going to use.

For storage, a SSD boot drive is a must but a SATA will do the job. For editing, you might want to consider a NVME drive but realistically any 1TB+ SATA SSD will do just great as well.

Use a 2X2TB or 2X3TB hard drive for redundancy of important files.

the two CPU's i had in mind were either the 1920x Threadripper, or the new 8700k coming out with 6 cores/12 threads. The price range is without the peripherals, and is in USD. the drive setup i posted, would be the 120GB for boot, the 500gb NVME for games/other applications, and the 2x 2tb (raid 1) would be for storage. i know that games dont necessarily need an NVME drive, but other applications might be able to use the speeds, and since they arent much different in price, id rather take advantage of it. in terms of the HDD's, i was either thinking of the 2x2tb in raid 1, or the raid 10 with 4x 2tb drives. Not sure if i would need all that storage, but would rather have more than enough, rather than just barely enough. Now, should i edit on an NVME as well? and if so, should i get either a bigger nvme, or two seperate? Also for the GPU, was thinking the 1080ti FTW3 from EVGA. i know there is a few cards that can go a bit higher in clock out there, but EVGA has done me well in the past and has been reliable and is why i was thinking of it, but am open to new cards as well.

Here's a starting point (can probably be tweaked a bit based on preference)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($331.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($80.44 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($80.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($784.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer - Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor  ($1079.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3518.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-29 09:46 EDT-0400

I went for a sorta "Asus eco system RGB build" Dont know if that's your thing

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

24 minutes ago, Trulop said:

the two CPU's i had in mind were either the 1920x Threadripper, or the new 8700k coming out with 6 cores/12 threads. The price range is without the peripherals, and is in USD. the drive setup i posted, would be the 120GB for boot, the 500gb NVME for games/other applications, and the 2x 2tb (raid 1) would be for storage. i know that games dont necessarily need an NVME drive, but other applications might be able to use the speeds, and since they arent much different in price, id rather take advantage of it. in terms of the HDD's, i was either thinking of the 2x2tb in raid 1, or the raid 10 with 4x 2tb drives. Not sure if i would need all that storage, but would rather have more than enough, rather than just barely enough. Now, should i edit on an NVME as well? and if so, should i get either a bigger nvme, or two seperate? Also for the GPU, was thinking the 1080ti FTW3 from EVGA. i know there is a few cards that can go a bit higher in clock out there, but EVGA has done me well in the past and has been reliable and is why i was thinking of it, but am open to new cards as well.

The 1920X is a ~US$800 cpu. Comparable Intel cpu would be the Kaby Lake-X and Skylake-X cpu on X299 motherboards. Unless you are doing more than casual editing, if the speculation is accurate an i7-8700K will likely be the best Intel choice. Until independent benchmarks are out, we won't know if it will be worth the premium cost over a Ryzen 7 build.

The storage scheme seems overly complicated and not terribly efficient.

These days, 120GB is not enough for a boot & system drive.

If budget interferes, drop the NVMe drive in favor of a single large SATA ssd. Benchmarks suggest that NVMe does not offer significant performance improvements for boot and program loads. The principal reason likely being the relatively small units of data. Where NVMe might make a difference is in i/o intensive tasks. Rendering and linking come to mind. In a mixed use system, getting a large SATA ssd (2 - 4 TB) will provide better all around performance.

If budget is not an issue, get a 1 or 2 TB NVMe drive and a 2 - 4TB SATA ssd. Don't bother with hdd. Given the bandwidth there is no reason to get multiple NVMe drives. 

Personally I don't think RAID makes much sense in a personal system. Good backups are still needed and a few hours downtime is not that costly.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.