Nvdia Shield Prototype with specs

soooo, this i wonder why this happened

i wonder how this happened

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/28/nvidias-shield-2-prototype-shows-up-in-a-canadian-pawn-shop/

do you think they will acctually come out with it or are they happy with the currnt shield, 

also are the specs that different from the current generation one

"The Redditor included photos of the device's specs, which also align with those included in the documents. The dev unit has an ARM Cortex-A57 CPU at 1.91 GHz (which matches Tegra's X1 chip), 3GB of RAM and a 5.9-inch, 1440 x 810 pixel resolution screen."

IMO the only reason the shield exists in the first place is for emulation, android games, and streaming pc games. There really shouldn't be a more powerful version.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

IMO the only reason the shield exists in the first place is for emulation, android games, and streaming pc games. There really shouldn't be a more powerful version.

i agree, thats why im wondering why there is even a prototype at all. for the current shield there is no demand for a more powerfull device 

52 minutes ago, tdrevon said:

i agree, thats why im wondering why there is even a prototype at all. for the current shield there is no demand for a more powerfull device 

I do wonder how well those Denver cores would do at emulation. If PS2/GC emulation can be made feasible, there would be a very big reason for a more powerful device.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I think Nvidia canceled all plans for Shield portable system due to Nintendo. The whole point of the Shield systems was to sale Tegra chips, as very few manufactures were interested in as they were no demand for it by manufactures. This is mostly because they Tegra chips were/are expensive compared to the competition. The full actual GPU is not good enough interest point to even consumers, as Android games runs on a verity of system and are coded to the limited OpenGL support the mobile chips on the market had.

Now that the Nintendo Switch has Tegra chip, but the system sales like hot cakes, Might still have a Shield TV at some point (probably showcasing Nvidia latest Tegra chip when it will come out... well a consumer variant instead of a car version)

Sad to see it still had 3GB of RAM. Good thing the Switch is 4GB.

i wouldnt mind an update to the tablet but id like the update to have a larger battery and a dock on the controller instead of this redundant design

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-Might still have a Shield TV at some point-

Such a waste...

It's not like the Shield TVs are bad, they're just... So... Bland. Everyone has a friggin' TV box.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Everyone has a friggin' TV box.

Real talk, Nvidia is the only one that has a great set top box that's small. The only great alternatives are the Xbox One (s) and the PS4 (Pro), both of which are magnitudes bigger, or an HTPC with a Kodi install on the OS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Real talk, Nvidia is the only one that has a great set top box that's small. The only great alternatives are the Xbox One (s) and the PS4 (Pro), both of which are magnitudes bigger, or an HTPC with a Kodi install on the OS.

Nexus Player 2017, lets make it happen Google!

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, Swatson said:

Nexus Player 2017, lets make it happen Google!

God no. Nexus can die in the hellfire that it crawled out of.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

God no. Nexus can die in the hellfire that it crawled out of.

OG Nexus Player still gets android updates and is a nice platform other than being underpowered and the remote was shit. These things could be easily updated for current technology.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, Swatson said:

OG Nexus Player still gets android updates and is a nice platform other than being underpowered and the remote was shit. These things could be easily updated for current technology.

Given my position on Android updates on hardware that didn't release running that major version, I'll gladly take an Nvidia shield over a Nexus PoS any day of the week. Especially since Nvidia seems like the only company that can push a well polished Android update, even if it isn't immediate.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Given my position on Android updates on hardware that didn't release running that major version, I'll gladly take an Nvidia shield over a Nexus PoS any day of the week. Especially since Nvidia seems like the only company that can push a well polished Android update, even if it isn't immediate.

Uh Google releases android updates and vendors tweak or just release them. Nvidia by definition cannot release a better update than google.
So, Nexus gets basically the most functionality out of Android, that's why they release it with the new Android and why it always had things like Google Assistant and Daydream first.

Just now, Swatson said:

Uh Google releases android updates and vendor's tweak or just release them. Nvidia by defition cannot release a better update than google.
So Nexus gets basically the most functionality out of Android, thats why they release it with the new Android and it always had things like Google Assistant first.

Google releases what is essentially the reference and base. Vendors can, and do, modify them to suit the hardware, provided they don't stray to far from Google's vision (ultimately, Android is an open source project, with many updates made outside of Google's development team). And quite frankly, I've found Google's "pure" versions of Android to be inferior to every aftermarket ROM I've touched, from Touchwiz to Cyanogen Mod, and Nvidia's version has been the only one to not take away from the UX.

Even "close to stock," I find to be superior to Google's "stock" vision.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Nvidia's version has been the only one to not take away from the UX.

Even "close to stock," I find to be superior to Google's "stock" vision.

Base android IS the UX. It cannot take away from itself. The reference is Nexus, and it can't take away from itself.

Just now, Swatson said:

Base android IS the UX. It cannot take away from itself. The reference is Nexus, and it can't take away from itself.

Base Android is not the UX. Base Android is the base of an ecosystem. The UX is part of every skin and ROM that third parties make to fix issues they find with Google's vision.

And Google's reference, is garbage compared to OEM interpretations.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Base Android is not the UX. Base Android is the base of an ecosystem. The UX is part of every skin and ROM that third parties make to fix issues they find with Google's vision.

And Google's reference, is garbage compared to OEM interpretations.

Android version updates provide the features that even allow for the vendor's tweaks. They make up a larger portion of the experience than the skin.

Just now, Swatson said:

Android version updates provide the features that even allow for the vendor's tweaks.

Android version updates have been incorporating vendor tweaks. Things like Multiwindow, NFC, UFS, were not introduced by Google. They were introduced by companies like Samsung, ASUS, Sony, etc.

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

They make up a larger portion of the experience than the skin.

Not until Google's Android got caught up, and even then, its on OEMs to fix what Google gives them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Android version updates have been incorporating vendor tweaks. Things like Multiwindow, NFC, UFS, were not introduced by Google. They were introduced by companies like Samsung, ASUS, Sony, etc.

Not until Google's Android got caught up, and even then, its on OEMs to fix what Google gives them.

Yes vendor phones have always had the extra features as part of the tweaks but the version updates still provide more to how a phone feels to use than a vendor's given skin, especially these days. The exception is Samsung, and yes they have market share but they are in the minority, most other companies are closer to stock than not. For good reason.

Pretty sure Samsung will go Tizen + Exynos as soon as it can to exit the android ecosystem. anyways

Just now, Swatson said:

most other companies are closer to stock than not. For good reason.

In general look, yes. Otherwise, they're what Google gives them, fixed and tweaked. And only because Samsung has been the daring OEM, and the one that can afford to venture out more than other OEMs.

But stock is a mess that needs OEMs to fix. Every OEM has their own skin. For good reason.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

In general look, yes. Otherwise, they're what Google gives them, fixed and tweaked. And only because Samsung has been the daring OEM, and the one that can afford to venture out more than other OEMs.

But stock is a mess that needs OEMs to fix. Every OEM has their own skin. For good reason.

Not really, a lot of them are literally stock other than things to support hardware/vendor software features. Moto, Essential, OnePlus, Lenovo's own phones. Big players like LG and HTC and Sony are basically sprinting towards stock android, but yes there will always be a skin, that's the point of it being open. It doesnt mean the stock version is inferior or that it's being "fixed".

Big players like LG and HTC and Sony are basically sprinting towards stock android,

No, they aren't. They're no closer to stock than they were years ago.

Moto,

Who was once owned by Google, and isn't known for making anything exceptional. They're passable mid tier phones. Congrats, Motorola, you're good enough to pass for average.

3 minutes ago, Swatson said:

OnePlus

That runs what is essentially Cyanogen, which was always a stock look, with improvements under the hood that, again, fix stock.

4 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Lenovo's own phones.

Again, some look like stock, but they're not stock under the hood.

4 minutes ago, Swatson said:

It doesnt mean the stock version is inferior or that it's being "fixed".

Google's vision is inferior. Otherwise, no company that has a "near stock experience" would be using their own skins and tweaks, beyond minor optimizations for slightly different SoCs.

AOSP pushes better versions of the major Android versions than Google does. OEMs push better versions than Google does.

Quite frankly, Android is a success that Google bought and OEMs to do most of the work for. The only involvement they should have at this point, is offering OEMs to install Google services. The rest, a bad joke.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Can Nvidia make a Shield phone with a Tegra Z1 (or whatever the successor to X1 will be)?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…