Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5?

Im thinking of building a system around the ryzen 3. However the ryzen 5 has more cores and more threads. I want to have something that I can either upgrade in the future or have to last a while (at least 5 years). So I am asking if you guys could give me some info for if i should go ryzen 3 or 5. If i go ryzen 3 it will be the 1200 or ryzen 5 the 1400. Thanks.

What will you use it for? Is the budget of any concern?

There rarely is an asnwer to overall best but usually it is 'best for'.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

What's your budget and is it flexible? What are you going to use this PC for?

Specify please.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

I would buy a ryzen 3 and upgrade in the next generation of AMD processors (They´ll be also be AM4).

BUT i don't think i have the patience to do that.... if you wait the reward will be worth it but its really hard and tempting to get a ryzen 5.

I would always buy the R5, however not the highest end model. The 1400 should be adequate. 

Totally don't have links in my signature

With some exceptions I'd jump from the 1200 to the 1600 according to budget. 

If we start seeing far cheaper A320 motherboards I could see a case for the 1300 but eight now B350 boards are close enough to go for the 1200.

1400 and 1500 are not really good buys with the upcoming 4/8 i3 cannon lakes specially. Better to budget for a 1600 at midrange 700 to 1000 builds. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Like I told my roommate, Ryzen 3 is a very solid line.  For gaming, you can't go wrong with the 1200 or 1300X, and you can currently upgrade all the way to the 1800X, which is a beast of a CPU.

But if your budget can stretch, get even at least the Ryzen 5 1400.  The extra threads help out so much.  Honestly I'd try to get the 1500X, for that extra L3 cache.

But even then, if you can push the budget, go Ryzen 5.  Otherwise, Ryzen 3 is still a solid choice.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

From a pure value perspective, I'd recommend ryzen 3 , and then OC it. 

The 1200 costs 110$, while the 1400 costs 170$. You're paying 60$ more for SMT, which will only provide you with a 25% increase in performance in most cases.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Never purchase something just to upgrade it later. You don't know what will happen between then and now. 

Always get the best option you can afford now. In the end, you will spend less money, have the power you need upfront, and not have to worry about your future upgrade. 

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Like I told my roommate, Ryzen 3 is a very solid line.  For gaming, you can't go wrong with the 1200 or 1300X, and you can currently upgrade all the way to the 1800X, which is a beast of a CPU.

But if your budget can stretch, get even at least the Ryzen 5 1400.  The extra threads help out so much.  Honestly I'd try to get the 1500X, for that extra L3 cache.

But even then, if you can push the budget, go Ryzen 5.  Otherwise, Ryzen 3 is still a solid choice.

In which workloads does smt help "so much"?It provides around 25% more performance, that's not a lot, 1500x is an even worse buy, the extra cache offers only up to 15% more performance, 1600 is far better than 1500x.

1 hour ago, ONOTech said:

R3 1200 + OC or jump to the R5 1500X at the very least, though I recommend going with the 1600.

This applies even if you're doing CPU work. The R5 1400 has mediocre price/perf overall.

1500x is even worse than 1400 because it's too close to 1600 and offers around 15% more performance for 10-15% higher price than 1400.I really don't understand why people say that 1500x is much better than 1400 when it's the worst option.

3 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

What will you use it for? Is the budget of any concern?

There rarely is an asnwer to overall best but usually it is 'best for'.

I plan on using it mostly for gaming and might go into cad designing later in life. Also for video editing. Budget is something to me but I can afford either or. I want to spend no more than 650 on a machine.

3 hours ago, Jadan said:

What's your budget and is it flexible? What are you going to use this PC for?

Specify please.

I want to spend no more than 650 on the machine and I plan to do gaming, potentially cad designing later on, and video editing.

1 minute ago, Hardfishing said:

I plan on using it mostly for gaming and might go into cad designing later in life. Also for video editing. Budget is something to me but I can afford either or. I want to spend no more than 650 on a machine.

I would try to squeeze in the R5, but the R3 would be fine for now.

I don't like to just go by benchmarks, as if you are a heavy multitasker, you will benefit from the R5.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

3 hours ago, ONOTech said:

R3 1200 + OC or jump to the R5 1500X at the very least, though I recommend going with the 1600.

This applies even if you're doing CPU work. The R5 1400 has mediocre price/perf overall.

I was thinking if i do ryzen 3 i would get the 1200 and over clock it to something like 3.8 ghz

2 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I would try to squeeze in the R5, but the R3 would be fine for now.

I don't like to just go by benchmarks, as if you are a heavy multitasker, you will benefit from the R5.

Ok because what im thinking for a system is ryzen 3 oc to something like 3.8 ghz, 8 gigs of ddr4 ram, gtx 1050 ti a 500 watt power supply( so say i upgrade gpu later i have power to do so) a 1terribite hdd to start off with then maybe getting a ssd later on. I am going to see if i can get a case used from a computer shop near me.

10 minutes ago, Hardfishing said:

Ok because what im thinking for a system is ryzen 3 oc to something like 3.8 ghz, 8 gigs of ddr4 ram, gtx 1050 ti a 500 watt power supply( so say i upgrade gpu later i have power to do so) a 1terribite hdd to start off with then maybe getting a ssd later on. I am going to see if i can get a case used from a computer shop near me.

I would recommend getting the ASUS STRIX B350.

I am really happy with my X370 STRIX board. It made it stupid easy for me to get a strong OC out of my 1700.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

1 hour ago, Jon Jon said:

I would recommend getting the ASUS STRIX B350.

I am really happy with my X370 STRIX board. It made it stupid easy for me to get a strong OC out of my 1700.

What about the mortar white b350 i think is what it is called from msi? it goes for 90 bucks

1 hour ago, Hardfishing said:

What about the mortar white b350 i think is what it is called from msi? it goes for 90 bucks

TBH, I am not a big fan of MSI motherboards.

I have been burned in the past by them and Biostar.

I've since favored ASUS and ASRock.

Neither company has let me down.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

R3 1200 and then wait until Zen 3. They are 10nm chips that will outperform the R3 and you can get a R5 or a R7.

1 hour ago, Jon Jon said:

TBH, I am not a big fan of MSI motherboards.

I have been burned in the past by them and Biostar.

I've since favored ASUS and ASRock.

Neither company has let me down.

Ok thanks for the help. I honestly dont know if i want to build a system or not yet because it is alot of money that i really dont have yet.

1 hour ago, ThatTechKid said:

R3 1200 and then wait until Zen 3. They are 10nm chips that will outperform the R3 and you can get a R5 or a R7.

Im sorry but what is Zen 3?

21 hours ago, Hardfishing said:

I want to spend no more than 650 on the machine and I plan to do gaming, potentially cad designing later on, and video editing.

I'm guessing your currency is USD.

If you're planning on doing video editing, cad and also gaming I seriously recommend the Ryzen 5 1600, with the Ryzen 3 you're workload is going to reduce with the fewer cores and you can easily fit a 1600 with that budget which offers 6c/12t which for the price is a really good deal considering the fact that it will be able to do anything you want it to.

Here's a build I quickly made: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7pNM8

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

19 hours ago, Hardfishing said:

Im thinking of building a system around the ryzen 3. However the ryzen 5 has more cores and more threads. I want to have something that I can either upgrade in the future or have to last a while (at least 5 years). So I am asking if you guys could give me some info for if i should go ryzen 3 or 5. If i go ryzen 3 it will be the 1200 or ryzen 5 the 1400. Thanks.

the ryzen 5s you plan on getting do not have more cores just hire clock speeds I would get a 1300x and B350 so you can overclock becuase X chips overclock better. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

R5 1400 and decent B350 mobo (B350-F Strix)

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM