Budget Raid options for Macbook Pro

SammyGoad

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro i5 for school and want to improve its speed. I've already spent alot to buy it and dont want to invest another $60 on an ssd. I have a 320gb laptop hdd and want to Raid 0 the drives to increase performance. The original drive is 500 gb, is it possible to make a 320gb volume on the 500gb hdd so that it can be compatible for Raid? if not, is it possible to make a volume on the inner most part of the drive to increase speed? 

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Apple[IPhone SE] [Imac 21.5 dual core 3 Gghz][Time Capsule 3TB]

Linux[Several laptops]

If you decide to run RAID on mismatching drives then ideally Disk Utility will just make a 320GB partition on the drive that's larger and that'll be that, though the unused space would be completely unusable.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

If you decide to run RAID on mismatching drives then ideally Disk Utility will just make a 320GB partition on the drive that's larger and that'll be that, though the unused space would be completely unusable.

Thank you, I'm new to MacOs and am excited to learn all about it. I don't really care too much about the lost storage since I plan on using a NAS for mass storage. The 5 dollar drive bay slot to add another hdd should be enough to make day to day better!

Quick question, do ssds and raided harddrives make wake up quicker or only start up from off?

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Linux[Several laptops]

3 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

Thank you, I'm new to MacOs and am excited to learn all about it. I don't really care too much about the lost storage since I plan on using a NAS for mass storage. The 5 dollar drive bay slot to add another hdd should be enough to make day to day better!

Quick question, do ssds and raided harddrives make wake up quicker or only start up from off?

Generally speaking drives in RAID as a whole are faster than a single drive but obviously not as fast as an SSD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

Still why not buy a windows laptop for the price you can get a much more powerful pc in terms of performance and gaming.

Just now, Weed man said:

Still why not buy a windows laptop for the price you can get a much more powerful pc in terms of performance and gaming.

because clearly I have a Windows Machine for gaming and performance.... I want a Mac for Style and simplicity at work and school :P

Linux[Several laptops]

Just now, SammyGoad said:

because clearly I have a Windows Machine for gaming and performance.... I want a Mac for Style and simplicity at work and school :P

Alrighty then!

Just now, Weed man said:

Alrighty then!

and honestly, I bought a Windows laptop and Windows 10 for laptops is cancer. CPU pinned at 100% for security shit literally minutes after booting, Cortona interrupting me every two seconds, and generally poor handling of custom support has pushed me to Mac for non-performance tasks.

Linux[Several laptops]

and honestly, I bought a Windows laptop and Windows 10 for laptops is cancer. CPU pinned at 100% for security shit literally minutes after booting, Cortona interrupting me every two seconds, and generally poor handling of custom support has pushed me to Mac for non-performance tasks.

Linux is always an option still

Just now, Weed man said:

Linux is always an option still

I did run Linux on my Lenovo before it was stolen but its power management left alot to be desired, 2-3 hours at max

Linux[Several laptops]

I did run Linux on my Lenovo before it was stolen but its power management left alot to be desired, 2-3 hours at max

Ok, I don't mind if you use macs for that. I just hate when people think that apple products have some kind of god power

Just now, Weed man said:

Ok, I don't mind if you use macs for that. I just hate when people think that apple products have some kind of god power

Nah, I used a Imac in college and it seemed nice and for $300, you just cant get the same build quality as an early Macbook Pro

Linux[Several laptops]

Nah, I used a Imac in college and it seemed nice and for $300, you just cant get the same build quality as an early Macbook Pro

$300?

Linux[Several laptops]

Well you were lucky, for $300 that's a steal, but that's not new ya know, an i5 MacBook new today with 128gbs of storage would be 2k

Just now, Weed man said:

Well you were lucky, for $300 that's a steal, but that's not new ya know, an i5 MacBook new today with 128gbs of storage would be 2k

Well actually that things from 2010 so I really don't know what you are trying to say here

Just now, Weed man said:

Well actually that things from 2010 so I really don't know what you are trying to say here

The only real difference is the processor, the 520M is a hyper threaded dual core that boosts to 3ghz...just like the current Macbook, I know ipc is better but im not a video editor and this processor can stream 4k and do steam link for gaming :P

Linux[Several laptops]

2 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

The only real difference is the processor, the 520M is a hyper threaded dual core that boosts to 3ghz...just like the current Macbook, I know ipc is better but im not a video editor and this processor can stream 4k and do steam link for gaming :P

Well What do you mean hyperthreaded its a dual core

Just now, Weed man said:

Well What do you mean hyperthreaded its a dual core

So, Hyperthreading means twice as many threads as cores, this machine has 2 cores and 4 threads, making it operate as if it had 4 cores, it saves on power and improves performance ;3

Linux[Several laptops]

2 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

So, Hyperthreading means twice as many threads as cores, this machine has 2 cores and 4 threads, making it operate as if it had 4 cores, it saves on power and improves performance ;3

Yes I know what it is just had a hard time finding that

Just now, Weed man said:

Yes I know what it is just had a hard time finding that

if you stopped smokin so much weed....

Linux[Several laptops]

4 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

if you stopped smokin so much weed....

NEVA