BUILDING THIS WEEKEND- final spec suggestions/FINAL compatibility check

Final(ish) depending on what yall tell me build--

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kvxYxY

So, I wanted to make sure all of this is 1000% compatible before i dump $2300 with a couple clicks, and if I need to buy any aftermarket mounting/bracket accessories, cables, etc. 

Also, I saw some troubleshooting on the motherboard i selected- having trouble with ryzens and ram speed, hitting 2100 as opposed to the promised 3200. Not sure if this is user error with voltage/and/or BIOS updates, or what, but it made me a little nervous.

Also, i'd love any of you guys to recommend good case fans/radiator placement(for temps below 75) and RGB lighting strips/kits for the inside of the rig (the fun stuff!)

Lastly, I think I should be looking at switching the power supply- the seasonic one in my current build is 650W, but it came highly recommended from a redditor...I mean, from what my hardware is, I think I should be running a 750W power supply. 

edit:

My average uses for the build will be hardcore gaming (100+ fps in 1440p), heavy intensive video editing/photoshop/VFX work, some 3D.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get a ryzen 1700( lower binned 1800x) and a X370 MOBO

Why do you recommend the X370 over the B350? 

2 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

Why do you recommend the X370 over the B350? 

- better OC potential

-better RAM compatibility 

- usually better quality overall 

- advanced feature like SLI 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

advanced feature like SLI 

doesn't B350 have SLI crossfire? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

- better OC potential

-better RAM compatibility 

- usually better quality overall 

- advanced feature like SLI 

Hm, really? -thinkingemoji- coolio

Gets mixed reviews on amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/Prime-X370-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B06WD4N297

^Assuming that's because in the early days of the 1600/1700/1800 mobo makers didn't have a lot of time to optimize the BIOS's. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

doesn't B350 have SLI? 

nope, but some boards only have crossfire. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

doesn't B350 have SLI? 

afaik no

Just now, Splashboy3 said:

Hm, really? -thinkingemoji- coolio

Gets mixed reviews on amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/Prime-X370-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B06WD4N297

^Assuming that's because in the early days of the 1600/1700/1800 mobo makers didn't have a lot of time to optimize the BIOS's. 

since you're already dropping $2300 why not go with a better motherboard, also the 650w psu will be fine.

Just now, Colexd said:

since you're already dropping $2300 why not go with a better motherboard, also the 650w psu will be fine.

True, true. Just wanting to make sure it truly is better, and more importantly, why. 

and are you sure? i feel like it's a bit light

...ok, look at ASRock Taichi x370 

yes, X370 got the BIOS updates before B350 did also, they have better RAM support 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

...ok, look at ASRock Taichi x370 

yes, X370 got the BIOS updates before B350 did also, they have better RAM support 

I don't doubt you that it's amazing! xD I'm just truly wondering whats the differences/testimonials from owners with ryzen systems.

I don't doubt you that it's amazing! xD I'm just truly wondering whats the differences/testimonials from owners with ryzen systems.

I have msi x370 sli plus, great motherboard. my first am4 motherboard was a msi b350 pc mate. Died after 4 days and took forever to post. I returned it got full refund and bought x370 sli plus. greatest decision I made. I want to sell my 1600 now because not enough power for editing 4k videos. Don't forget am4 bracket for h100i v2, I have the same cooler works great. I've heard the Samsung 850 pro series is not faster than the 850 series. I would instead go for an m.2 ssd. I also recommend getting the s340 elite instead of s340. also unless you are reusing the h100i you wont need thermal paste. 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

Id recommend picking up a 1700 instead of the 1800X, an opinion that's backed up by the tests Gamers Nexus did, (It's pretty much the same chip, just slightly lower clocks, and should overclock just as well) as well as picking up your Windows 10 key from Kingwin, it'll be much cheaper (Pauls Hardware did a video on it). Lastly, X370 DOES have better RAM compatibility, but you're probably fine with the board you chose, and if you feel okay with it you can save money buy picking up your harddrive on EBAY. As for case fans, if you can bear the aesthetics, nothing beats noctua.

I wouldn't get the 850 pro since it's not that worth it over the evo

Also if you're paying this much B Die ram (3200 MHz cl14) ram might be considered. Also get 1700 instead of 1800x

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

i agree with all above, get plain 1700 and OC it to 3.8ghz..4 ghz on all cores stable (depending on luck)

Shift some savings to a board with x370 chipset but not the cheapest available.

Could probably save some $$$ by going with plain 1080 ... buy bigger m.2 drive, since ryzen has 4 dedicated lanes for m.2  ssds.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

i agree with all above, get plain 1700 and OC it to 3.8ghz..4 ghz on all cores stable (depending on luck)

Shift some savings to a board with x370 chipset but not the cheapest available.

Could probably save some $$$ by going with plain 1080 ... buy bigger m.2 drive, since ryzen has 4 dedicated lanes for m.2  ssds.

If I don't really care about an extra $70, is the 1800X OK to get? I'd love to OC to 4.0hz and be rock solid stable.

x370 chipset--- is that the above mentioned ASUS Prime X370-Pro ?

Also what is an m.2 drive (am minor noob)

1 minute ago, Splashboy3 said:

If I don't really care about an extra $70, is the 1800X OK to get? I'd love to OC to 4.0hz and be rock solid stable.

x370 chipset--- is that the above mention ed ASUS Prime X370-Pro ?

Also what is an m.2 drive (am minor noob)

You can do a lot with 70$ .. i'd say it's not worth the money just to have (sort of ) guaranteed 4ghz oc.

yeah that motherboard uses the x379 chipset. Looks like a nice board.

m.2 connectors combine a SATA port connection and up to 4 pci-e lanes for a max speed of ~ 4 GB/s

Classic SATA SSD drives will be limited to around 560-580 MB/s in either direction.

Cheap m.2 drives uses the sata part of the connector so they'll be limited to ~ 580 MB/s

High end SSDs will use the pci-e lanes to obtain up to 4 GB/s to and from the SSD.

With m.2 you also have the benefit of using LESS cables so it's better for wire management. m.2 drives can take power from connector so no mess with standalone sata power and data cables

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can do a lot with 70$ .. i'd say it's not worth the money just to have (sort of ) guaranteed 4ghz oc.

yeah that motherboard uses the x379 chipset. Looks like a nice board.

m.2 connectors combine a SATA port connection and up to 4 pci-e lanes for a max speed of ~ 4 GB/s

Classic SATA SSD drives will be limited to around 560-580 MB/s in either direction.

Cheap m.2 drives uses the sata part of the connector so they'll be limited to ~ 580 MB/s

High end SSDs will use the pci-e lanes to obtain up to 4 GB/s to and from the SSD.

With m.2 you also have the benefit of using LESS cables so it's better for wire management. m.2 drives can take power from connector so no mess with standalone sata power and data cables

Something like this? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ykbkcf/samsung-960-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e500

As for the board, I probably will go with the x370 coleXD recommended. 

On 8/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, TanakaTheMoonFlame said:

Id recommend picking up a 1700 instead of the 1800X, an opinion that's backed up by the tests Gamers Nexus did, (It's pretty much the same chip, just slightly lower clocks, and should overclock just as well) as well as picking up your Windows 10 key from Kingwin, it'll be much cheaper (Pauls Hardware did a video on it). Lastly, X370 DOES have better RAM compatibility, but you're probably fine with the board you chose, and if you feel okay with it you can save money buy picking up your harddrive on EBAY. As for case fans, if you can bear the aesthetics, nothing beats noctua.

Do not buy windows 10 keys from kinguin. Why you ask? Because they steal credit card info and buy the keys and sell them. So if Microsoft finds out, they can say that windows key is no longer valid. 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

On 8/24/2017 at 8:17 PM, Splashboy3 said:

Final(ish) depending on what yall tell me build--

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kvxYxY

So, I wanted to make sure all of this is 1000% compatible before i dump $2300 with a couple clicks, and if I need to buy any aftermarket mounting/bracket accessories, cables, etc. 

Also, I saw some troubleshooting on the motherboard i selected- having trouble with ryzens and ram speed, hitting 2100 as opposed to the promised 3200. Not sure if this is user error with voltage/and/or BIOS updates, or what, but it made me a little nervous.

Also, i'd love any of you guys to recommend good case fans/radiator placement(for temps below 75) and RGB lighting strips/kits for the inside of the rig (the fun stuff!)

Lastly, I think I should be looking at switching the power supply- the seasonic one in my current build is 650W, but it came highly recommended from a redditor...I mean, from what my hardware is, I think I should be running a 750W power supply. 

edit:

My average uses for the build will be hardcore gaming (100+ fps in 1440p), heavy intensive video editing/photoshop/VFX work, some 3D.

The new Focus Plus Gold series from Seasonic is getting excellent reviews. 650W should be enough for the build with a single GTX gpu. A 750W psu would not make much of a difference.

You might consider the Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS case. With a $4 cable it becomes Aura Sync compatible so a suitable Asus motherboard can control the case lighting. Phanteks also has compatible LED strips.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:09 PM, Splashboy3 said:

Something like this? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ykbkcf/samsung-960-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e500

As for the board, I probably will go with the x370 coleXD recommended. 

Yes.

DDR4-3200 memory is problematic with Ryzen cpu. An X370 motherboard will help. https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf is AMD's official supported memory list. I personally like Asus motherboards, especially the Strix with Aura Sync lighting control. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.