GTX 1070 problems

H0R53

So I finally bought a GTX 1070. It was $400.

I don't have a problem with the 1070 itself, but I have problems with the cooler. It's HIDEOUS.

I want to take the cooler off of my 1050Ti and slap it on the 1070 with some new thermal paste. My 1050Ti has a fully custom cooler I modded myself, link in signature.

I can snip a few aluminum vanes off for the 8-pin, that isn't a problem.

The only concern I have is the actual GPU die mounting holes.

I took a picture of the reference 1070 PCB and my own image of my 1050Ti FTW PCB and scaled them appropriately in GIMP, and the holes seemed to line up and the cards are about the same length (1070 is a few mm longer), but I won't know for sure until the 1070 arrives on Monday.

I guess this is more of an instant gratification thing, but I'd feel a little better if I knew immediately if it'd fit because I like my 1050Ti's custom cooler a lot.

7 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I don't have a problem with the 1070 itself, but I have problems with the cooler. It's HIDEOUS.

I want to take the cooler off of my 1050Ti and slap it on the 1070 with some new thermal paste. My 1050Ti has a fully custom cooler I modded myself, link in signature.

I took a picture of the reference 1070 PCB and my own image of my 1050Ti FTW PCB and scaled them appropriately in GIMP, and the holes seemed to line up and the cards are about the same length (1070 is a few mm longer), but I won't know for sure until the 1070 arrives on Monday.

I guess this is more of an instant gratification thing, but I'd feel a little better if I knew immediately if it'd fit because I like my 1050Ti's custom cooler a lot.

or you could get a kraken g12 or similar and just watercool it with a AIO ;)
though suggestive, i've seen WAY worse coolers than that ;)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

The 1050 Ti is a cooler chip than the 1070, so you should get higher temps on the 1070 with the cooler from the 1050 Ti. If the GPU mounting holes are even a little bit off, it would make it extremely hard to mount. I wouldn't risk it, but you do you. Maybe paint it to make it look better?

That is probably a bad idea. The cooler on the 1050 ti is for a card that's <100w. The 1070 is >=150w...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Changis said:

or you could get a kraken g12 or similar and just watercool it with a AIO ;)
though suggestive, i've seen WAY worse coolers than that ;)

CMTX says that they focus on performance and price, not aesthetics.

I kinda walked into this.

3 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

The 1050 Ti is a cooler chip than the 1070, so you should get higher temps on the 1070 with the cooler from the 1050 Ti. If the GPU mounting holes are even a little bit off, it would make it extremely hard to mount. I wouldn't risk it, but you do you. Maybe paint it to make it look better?

See my reply below.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That is probably a bad idea. The cooler on the 1050 ti is for a card that's <100w. The 1070 is >=150w...

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6258-KR

My GTX 1050Ti is rated at 120W. I have it OC'd by about 48% (1379Mhz -> 2.05Ghz) so it has a much higher TDP now. My cooler keeps it below 60C.

If the mounting holes are off when I get it, I'm not doing it, but if they match I'm going to give it a shot.

Idk, if anyone here has a 1070 and they want to measure the diagonal distance between two die mounting screws, please provide the measurement in milimetres.

20 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

The VRM and VRAM also need cooling, idk that brand but I doubt the GTX 1050ti can cool a GTX 1070 if it's got an overclock. If the card hasn't arrived how do you known it's hideous? Also does thr GTX 1070 use a custom PCB?

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The 1050 Ti has mounting holes of 48x48mm. Now, the 1070 has 58x58 or 61x61 mm mounting holes. So there's a rather large problem.

Now here's a fun thing.

My toaster oven can go to almost 500 degrees F.

My old 1050Ti SSC (not the one I have now) broke so I stuck the cooler in it for lulz. The mounting plate came right off, along with all of the cooling vanes and pipes.

The mounting plate that the copper heat pipes are attached to are soldered on with regular solder, so theoretically if I do it carefully and properly, I can mount the 1050Ti FTW cooler to the 1070 mount plate.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The VRM and VRAM also need cooling, idk that brand but I doubt the GTX 1050ti can cool a GTX 1070 if it's got an overclock. If the card hasn't arrived how do you known it's hideous? Also does thr GTX 1070 use a custom PCB?

No, it uses a reference PCB.

I know it's hideous because this vs my 1050Ti:

gtx1070-1-hs-edit_1.jpg

IMG_20170802_002701.jpg

IMG_20170802_005708.jpg

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Picture of OP's video card (GTX 1050 Ti FTW)

-snip-

Picture of a GTX 1080 SC2

-snip-

I think the GTX 1050 Ti's cooler can manage a GTX 1070.

The difference is what you don't (mostly) see, the fin density.

gtx_1080_ftw_15.jpgI'm sure h0r53 can provide an image with the heatsink of the 1050 Ti. (That picture's for a 1080 though, so it's a little much).

3 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Now here's a fun thing.

My toaster oven can go to almost 500 degrees F.

My old 1050Ti SSC (not the one I have now) broke so I stuck the cooler in it for lulz. The mounting plate came right off, along with all of the cooling vanes and pipes.

The mounting plate that the copper heat pipes are attached to are soldered on with regular solder, so theoretically if I do it carefully and properly, I can mount the 1050Ti FTW cooler to the 1070 mount plate.

-snipsnipsnip-

Ah alright. Though, do be careful with lining up the heatsink, and it's possible for the heatsink cut out for the PCIe power plugs to not line up.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

snip

There are probably more heat pipes and a larger cold plate that's optimised more for the larger die than the on the GTX 1050ti, they'll probably cool about the same if they're similar, have the same amount of heatpipes etc, but there is a lot more to a cooler than size and heat pipes, this is thermodynamics after all. I mean if you really really want to, I'm sure it can be done, it's just it might not be worth it. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

gtx_1080_ftw_15.jpgI'm sure h0r53 can provide an image with the heatsink of the 1050 Ti. (That picture's for a 1080 though, so it's a little much).

Ah alright. Though, do be careful with lining up the heatsink, and it's possible for the heatsink cut out for the PCIe power plugs to not line up.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

There are probably more heat pipes and a larger cold plate that's optimised more for the larger die than the on the GTX 1050ti, they'll probably cool about the same if they're similar, have the same amount of heatpipes etc, but there is a lot more to a cooler than size and heat pipes, this is thermodynamics after all. I mean if you really really want to, I'm sure it can be done, it's just it might not be worth it. 

Yeah give me a minute, I have it stored somewhere for shit like this

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Judging by head-on shots of both cards, they have very similar, if not the same, fin density. Though I do notice the GTX 1050 Ti's cooler has one less heat pipe (though the GTX 1050 Ti FTW uses ACX while the 1080 SC I posted uses iCX)

However it's very likely EVGA only made one design of the cooler to save manufacturing costs on variants.

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Yeah give me a minute, I have it stored somewhere for shit like this

Looking at this, the GTX1050TI FTW cooler, sadly the best photo I can find, it seems to have a weird GPU die location, and around 3 heatpipes, contacting from the middle to the bottom. 

exploded.jpg.aa2f172ff67ab738ba387b2ed9424746.jpg

If the GTX 1070 you bought uses a reference design. you won't be able to connect the die due to where it is located, and the fact you wouldn't be able to cool the VRMs or the VRAM

download.jpg.597672238dab953098ea965319a1437b.jpg

if you look, the dies are in difference locations entirely. 

Yours faithfully

34 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

CMTX says that they focus on performance and price, not aesthetics.

I kinda walked into this.

See my reply below.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6258-KR

My GTX 1050Ti is rated at 120W. I have it OC'd by about 48% (1379Mhz -> 2.05Ghz) so it has a much higher TDP now. My cooler keeps it below 60C.

If the mounting holes are off when I get it, I'm not doing it, but if they match I'm going to give it a shot.

Idk, if anyone here has a 1070 and they want to measure the diagonal distance between two die mounting screws, please provide the measurement in milimetres.

At stock the 1050 ti boosts I think to 1700-1800 ish so 48% isn't really a valid number. And you have to take into account 1070 OCing.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

--

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

--

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

--

I can't find any and I'm working on a customer's laptop now so I'm not gonna rip my 1050Ti apart atm.

1050Ti fin density is much higer, btw. They go along the entire card.

I wouldn't be able to do this without a very good heat gun and a lot of patience. Worst case scenario I use glue or some shit.

The die is located towards the back of the PCI stripe.

The pipes are very solid and if anything, I can rip the plate off with my oven and slap the 1070 plate on while it's hot.

Here's a pic of the GTX 950 FTW cooler, similar except in fin density.

UQoXgTm.jpg

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

One thing to keep in mind is how your case is configured. A lot of the "thermal" benchmarks you see are on open air test benches so their results aren't really all that great of a comparison for real world use.

Sometimes all you need is to configure your airflow differently. For instance, by maintaining a close to ambient temperature inside of the case (use an AIO to push hot air up out of the case from the CPU, along with positive air pressure), you can eliminate most concerns about your GPU temps.

A beefier cooler won't necessarily cool down your gpu if all you're doing is running more hot air over it.

My case has 6 fans. 2 in the front, two up top for my AiO, one in back, and my custom PSU fan.

6 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Is your AIO push or pull? Are the two in the front push or pull?

If your AIO is setup in a pull configuration and your air pressure is neutral, you may consider switching that up to a better configuration that will make the case internals cooler.

AiO is push. Not enough room in my case for push-pull, RAM gets in the way.

Front fans push air into the case. Main build is first link in my sig.

5 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

snip

As expected, you won't really be able to move the cold plate up much, the heat pipe ends soon after that, plus the VRAM and VRM wouldn't be cooled that well. The faster running GDDR5 found on the GTX 1070 needs more cooling, although it isn't actually needed, it can live without the cooling. The VRM however might be an issue, if it's a 4 phase it could be a massive problem. 

Yours faithfully