How do I REALLY avoid static while building?

magyarosipeter

I looked after it, but 5 websites write 5 different things. So, I first install the new PSU into the new case, plug it into the wall, while leaving the switch off , "O". Then I just touch the metal part of the case every 1-2 minutes, and I should have no problems, right? Also, I caught that I shouldn't do it on a carpet, or have socks/shoes on. This is my first time building a PC, so I don't really want to mess everything up, frying one of my parts. 

You build your computer in the shower, with running water, and you inside it. That would solve that specific problem.  :P

But yes you are correct, you can even have the switch of the PSU turned ON, it doesn't really matter, just don't turned turn on the PC while you plug something as it might break it. But yea, the PSU is grounded (assuming your wall plug is as well), being metal (despite even painted), it would ground the case when installed, and you touching the PSU or case will ground you. An additional ground with and USB frontal case header is also there to ensure the computer is well grounded.

It is recommended to not build the system on carpet.. although many did and have no problem... it is just an extra precaution, as a built-up can be made.

6 minutes ago, magyarosipeter said:

I looked after it, but 5 websites write 5 different things. So, I first install the new PSU into the new case, plug it into the wall, while leaving the switch off , "O". Then I just touch the metal part of the case every 1-2 minutes, and I should have no problems, right? Also, I caught that I shouldn't do it on a carpet, or have socks/shoes on. This is my first time building a PC, so I don't really want to mess everything up, frying one of my parts. 

having the PSU plugged into a grounded outlet will ground the chassis and you can touch the metal to discharge. even when the psu unit is turned off

you shouldn't build it on/near things that creates (directly or inderectly by your movement) static electricity

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

5 minutes ago, magyarosipeter said:

No, no, no

Just build in a clean area and use an esd wrist strap. That all you need.

If you don't have a wrist strap just touch a metal desk or even the case to discharge any static.

Components these days are less susceptible to static shock

Connecting power to the system while your installing components is more likely to cause damage then you would be.

You can build on carpet if you want.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Your build your computer in the shower, with running water, and you inside it. That would solve that specific problem.  :P

But yes you are correct, you can even have the switch of the PSU turned ON, it doesn't really matter, just turned turn on the PC while you plug something as it might break it.

But yea, the PSU is grounded (assuming your wall plug is as well), being metal (despite even painted), it would ground the case when installed, and you touching the PSU or case will ground you. An additional ground with and USB frontal case header is also there to ensure the computer is well grounded.

beat me to it :P

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

I used an anti-static mat grounded to my PSU or case when working with the motherboard out of the case. For the rest I just used a wrist strap grounded to the same thing, PSU or case.

I committed the 'carpet sin' and worked at my desk which was on carpet the whole time. I never saw an issue with static as long as I was grounded or touched the case every now and then.

I'm not saying work on carpet, but i'm just telling you I didn't have any issues (just take the right precautions)

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Your build your computer in the shower, with running water, and you inside it. That would solve that specific problem.  :P

But yes you are correct, you can even have the switch of the PSU turned ON, it doesn't really matter, just turned turn on the PC while you plug something as it might break it.

But yea, the PSU is grounded (assuming your wall plug is as well), being metal (despite even painted), it would ground the case when installed, and you touching the PSU or case will ground you. An additional ground with and USB frontal case header is also there to ensure the computer is well grounded.

All of this is not needed though. Its building a computer not working in a clean room lol

If the switch on the PSU gets switched to on (accidents happen) and you connect a component you can fry the component (I've seen people kill hardrives this was) It not worth the risk IMO 

Just now, kalnick said:

No, no, no

Just build in a clean area and use an esd wrist strap. That all you need.

If you don't have a wrist strap just touch a metal desk or even the case to discharge any static.

Components these days are less susceptible to static shock

Connecting power to the system while your installing components is more likely to cause damage then you would be.

You can build on carpet if you want.

chassis won't discharge you if it's not connected to ground, neither will a desk or wrist strap, the strap will just put you on the same "current" as the rest of ground, but unless it is actually connected to ground, you won't get any proper discharging.

you could touch or connect the wrist strap to the ground poles in a socket for the same effect, but having the psu installed and connected is much easier and safer.

don't connect PSU cables if the PSU is turned on, it might be fine, but you might also accidentally start the system before you are ready etc.. 

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

I have literally worked on my PCs, sitting cross egged on my living room rug and none of the outlets in my apartment, outside of the kitchen, have grounding. :D

2 minutes ago, kalnick said:

All of this is not needed though. Its building a computer not working in a clean room lol

If the switch on the PSU gets switched to on (accidents happen) and you connect a component you can fry the component (I've seen people kill hardrives this was) It not worth the risk IMO 

if you are careful building, accidentally flipping a switch on the back of the computer case at an area where you are not really working anyway isn't the biggest risk, being impatient and trying to cut corners however...

pulling the computer down with your wrist strap because you were reaching for something is a bigger risk than accidentally turning on the PSU while building inside the case..

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Dark Manor said:

The static is not really a problem.... like at all. 

-SNIP-

It can be if you wear socks on carpet and wait way too long to ground yourself O.o I touched my case after walking around for awhile with socks on got quite the shock, even saw the little bolt between my finger and the case. I would imagine the same shock directly to a small component on the motherboard could damage something.

I never saw a shock like I had experienced in that video which is interesting. I'm just saying things can happen. Will they? Probably not...

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

I have literally worked on my PCs, sitting cross egged on my living room rug and none of the outlets in my apartment, outside of the kitchen, have grounding. :D

Your electric box is. If you get a plug tester, it will most likely pass despite no ground pin in the electric plug.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

not saying it won't work, but it's not exactly the best practice if you are going to work on anyone else's machine ;)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Changis said:

chassis won't discharge you if it's not connected to ground, neither will a desk or wrist strap, the strap will just put you on the same "current" as the rest of ground, but unless it is actually connected to ground, you won't get any proper discharging.

you could touch or connect the wrist strap to the ground poles in a socket for the same effect, but having the psu installed and connected is much easier and safer.

don't connect PSU cables if the PSU is turned on, it might be fine, but you might also accidentally start the system before you are ready etc.. 

Highly unlikely that anyone is going to build up a large enough static charge to require you to be grounded to your house's ground.

Been building pcs since the late 90s, always just used an esd strap connected to the case or a metal desk. Never had any issues.

Why do people make things so complicated and convoluted when they don't need to be :(

THis is why people are afraid to build PCs people make seem so much harder and scarier then it really is.

Build you pc in the middle of you living room on your carpet if you want it wont really matter.

2 minutes ago, kalnick said:

Highly unlikely that anyone is going to build up a large enough static charge to require you to be grounded to your house's ground.

Been building pcs since the late 90s, always just used an esd strap connected to the case or a metal desk. Never had any issues.

Why do people make things so complicated and convoluted when they don't need to be :(

THis is why people are afraid to build PCs people make seem so much harder and scarier then it really is.

Build you pc in the middle of you living room on your carpet if you want it wont really matter.

Yup agreed, Washing your hands will discharge you also. As long as you don't rub your socks on carpet on your way to your PC, you are most likely fine.

The reason why some people wear straps is just an extra precaution when building someone else PC, saving you some headaches (returning the system, calling the client that his system will be delayed, etc.)

Just now, kalnick said:

-snip-

-snip-

OP asked for clarification on how to protect equipment from ESD, we say have the psu installed and connected, how is that "complicated and convoluted"? how does that scare away people?

also if you want to build a career of fixing/building computer hardware etc, it's good to know what is considered good practice.. as an employer for instance, if i saw a guy just sitting crossed legged on the floor working on a machine, i would not be a happy employer..

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, kalnick said:

-SNIP-

I couldn't agree more. My friend and I built his PC on carpet cause that's all he had in his apartment. We just used straps connected to the case and no issues.

3 minutes ago, Changis said:

if you are careful building, accidentally flipping a switch on the back of the computer case at an area where you are not really working anyway isn't the biggest risk, being impatient and trying to cut corners however...

pulling the computer down with your wrist strap because you were reaching for something is a bigger risk than accidentally turning on the PSU while building inside the case..

ESD strap can be connected to the a metal leg of a desk or a the frame what ever, point is having live power connected to the system when connecting components is just asking for trouble and in my over 20 yrs of building pcs (I was building 10+ a day someday back in the 90s) I have never done that.

Just now, Changis said:

OP asked for clarification on how to protect equipment from ESD, we say have the psu installed and connected, how is that "complicated and convoluted"? how does that scare away people?

also if you want to build a career of fixing/building computer hardware etc, it's good to know what is considered good practice.. as an employer for instance, if i saw a guy just sitting crossed legged on the floor working on a machine, i would not be a happy employer..

I think he just means that everyone tries to come up with a bunch of different methods when really it's quite simple to remain grounded.

And yes, though sitting cross-legged on the floor isn't a very professional way of doing things :P, most of these guys are building in their own home for their own self.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup agreed, Washing your hands will discharge you also. As long as you don't rub your socks on carpet on your way to your PC, you are most likely fine.

The reason why some people wear straps is just an extra precaution when building someone else PC, saving you some headaches (returning the system, calling the client that his system will be delayed, etc.)

Yup that exactly why I use a strap, for that extra insurance when it is someones else money/property.

I would recommend that you use a large clean surface area that is at a comfortable height

Just now, kalnick said:

ESD strap can be connected to the a metal leg of a desk or a the frame what ever, point is having live power connected to the system when connecting components is just asking for trouble and in my over 20 yrs of building pcs (I was building 10+ a day someday back in the 90s) I have never done that.

if the PSU is turned off, you don't have live power coming out from the PSU...

there is a small on off switch, located fairly close to the inlet socket.. you'd have to be deliberate or very uncareful if you were to accidentally turn the PSU on.

can you build a computer on your carpet not being grounded? sure.. will you have any problems? probably not.. is it good practice if you want to make a career of it? no.. 

OP and everyone else is however free to build their computers however they wish. also some people would rather build with a "better safe than sorry" mindset ;)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Changis said:

If as an employee my employer didn't provide me with a proper work area I not be a happy employee lol

I don't personally recommend building on carpet but the fact is it can be done relatively safely.

To a noob who knows nothing about computers it can be very daunting and scary to build your first system. These are all great ideas and precautions but when presented as the "only way to do things" or "the way it should be done" they can seem overwhelming to some folks who just want to build there first computer for gaming. People who want to make a career out of pc building or IT work is a whole other thing.

A number of years ago I used get static shocks very regularly from metallic objects at work.  Cowering before I touch things and then yelping like a little helpless puppy when shocked was not a professional look.  So I sort help.

One of my friends mentioned it was my shoes, I scoffed at the idea.

However if you ever read the featured on the souls of your new  Dr Martins or work safety shoes.   You migh just see 'Static protection' listed as a feature of the product. 

So moral of the story is, wear good static dissipating shoes, keep touching your earthed case/psu, or  even your homes central heating its all metal and  most certainly earthed.   

Off on one please ignore this part:

I kind of wanna say do not wear synthetic materials for some reason (like Nylon, polythene) however natural materials would insulate you having the opposite effect.

So rubber boots bad, rubber gloves good.  

...Walks out door and gets stuck by lightning...

8 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I think he just means that everyone tries to come up with a bunch of different methods when really it's quite simple to remain grounded.

And yes, though sitting cross-legged on the floor isn't a very professional way of doing things :P, most of these guys are building in their own home for their own self.

Some people just don't have another choice but to build on their carpets.