Is it wise to buy an SSD second hand

Hi All

I would like to buy an SSD to use as a boot drive but also to use as basic storage for files that I'm currently working on, I'm a student so it's just essays, projects etc.

I would like to ask if its safe to buy a second hand Samsung 850 Evo 256Gb SSD.

Here is the link to the advert (I live in South Africa and our currency is the Rand or ZAR when doing a google conversion): https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-memory-hard-drives/boksburg/samsung-850evo-250gb-ssd/1002061630470910000645109

Thank you for your time!

no

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Uh yeah, that should be okay. Ask though how much it has been used. I'm always paranoid that I write too much and that the SSD will get faulty. I really shouldn't, but oh well. 

Windows 10 | GTX 970 | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x | 128GB Ripjaws V 

4 minutes ago, darth_626 said:

Hi All

I would like to buy an SSD to use as a boot drive but also to use as basic storage for files that I'm currently working on, I'm a student so it's just essays, projects etc.

I would like to ask if its safe to buy a second hand Samsung 850 Evo 256Gb SSD.

Here is the link to the advert (I live in South Africa and our currency is the Rand or ZAR when doing a google conversion): https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-memory-hard-drives/boksburg/samsung-850evo-250gb-ssd/1002061630470910000645109

Thank you for your time!

In short, typically no, buying storage second hand is not a good idea.

Just now, JDE said:

no

Why not exactly?

Just now, Pokemoneuro said:

Why not exactly?

The original owner might have excessively written on the SSD, significantly reducing the life span.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Well I don't know about wise, but SSDs are certainly buyable second hand provided they were taken care of.  I've sold a few of my old ones myself on Craigslist, and one of the things I did was to mention that the drive had been secure erased, which means that all the data on it was destroyed and completely unrecoverable.  Also, I posted a pic of the drive with Samsung Magician which shows how much writes the drive had, and that it was in good condition.

I checked the link and I didn't see that the seller had posted a picture of the drive's Samsung Magician readout, so I would definitely inquire about that before even considering buying it.

Intel Core i7 6900K @ 4.2ghz || Noctua NH-D15 || Asus X99A II || 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3400 CL 15 || NVidia Titan Xp ||  ViewSonic XG2703-GS || Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD || Western Digital Raptor 600GB || Creative Sound Blaster Zx || Antec HCP-1200w || ||Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow edition || Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, JDE said:

The original owner might have excessively written on the SSD, significantly reducing the life span.

Ah yeah, I said that in my post. To ask before buying it if they have written to it a lot.

Just don't buy used storage if you care about not losing your data.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Carfax83 said:

I checked the link and I didn't see that the seller had posted a picture of the drive's Samsung Magician readout, so I would definitely inquire about that before even considering buying it.

There's more than Samsung Magician to read writes. There's SMART, and other stuff like that

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just don't buy used storage if you care about not losing your data.

Just back up your files if you care about not losing you data. Doesn't matter if the drive is Brand new or Used drives they can die.   

As for the question, ask the seller to post the drive usage. Samsung drives have Samsung magician, I believe if you go see it you could bring a laptop with a USB adapter and run Samsung magician right there it doesn't take very long at all.

13 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Just back up your files if you care about not losing you data. Doesn't matter if the drive is Brand new or Used drives they can die.   

As for the question, ask the seller to post the drive usage. Samsung drives have Samsung magician, I believe if you go see it you could bring a laptop with a USB adapter and run Samsung magician right there it doesn't take very long at all.

1) you have no idea how the used drive was treated or in what conditions it was used, so there is much higher probability of losing data if you buy it used.

2) drive usage is not everything, some people use drives in very hot or humid environments, or could have been dropped, which also causes degradation that you cannot know by looking at the amount of writes it has.

3) you do not need samsung magician, all SSDs have SMART which can be read by any program that reads smart status, such as crystaldiskinfo. It will also give a lot more information than samsung magician.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

3) you do not need samsung magician, all SSDs have SMART which can be read by any program that reads smart status, such as crystaldiskinfo. It will also give a lot more information than samsung magician.

I didn't know that Crystaldiskinfo can read the total writes. that is cool. Ahh but it looks like some SSD do not support the writes. I have an cheap PNY SSD I got on a good and it doesn't show how many writes. Just power on counts and Power on hours.

Depends how intensively it was used. If just a normal user with only a few TB of Reads/writes a year, it will be fine otherwise it could be a problem. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5