5 YEARS OF GAMING LAPTOPS TESTED!

I dunno, I feel like a Canadian company (LMG) should probably try to be a bit more inclusive instead of just US only. The fact that Origin even had a laptop in this video doesn't make any sense, and just felt like a paid review or advertisement via Origin. I'm the first to admit that I don't love every single video that LTT (or LMG as a whole, I suppose), but I've never felt like I was watching something quite as underhanded as this video. Just watching it felt like there was some kind of disclosure missing. I guess trying to pay for the 8K cameras and the construction were more expensive than planned? 

This ... makes me feel dirty... both as a Canadian and a fan of LTT. 

12 hours ago, Suika said:

It's a good thing Origin is giving away that laptop because there's no reason why anybody should pay nearly $1,300 for it.

Which is why they only let them review it against 2012 shitty laptops!

3:57 I can tell Linus doesn't look at budget gaming laptops often. My friend has a Type-C port in his 950m ROG laptop

Wished that the

Haswell laptop would have been a Lenovo Y50 or Inspiron 14 Gaming/2015 Inspiron 14 7000 (7447)

Skylake laptop would have been the Dell Inspiron 7559

Kaby laptop would have been the Dell Inspiron 7667

Also very disappointed with the Origin PC's EON15-S being featured. For a very similar price you could purchase the Acer Predator Helios 300 which is much better especially for gaming value. 

Okay, I don't care if I get banned or I get lots of hate from Linus' most loyal fans, but this isn't reddit and you can't downvote because you feel triggered by it so here's my complaints about this video.

It's mostly technical stuff, but I'd like to see it improved considering you have TWO FUCKI** RED HELIUMS:

1) [ 0:25 ] - LENONVO. Seriously? I'm sure it was a typo, will be corrected next tim- oh. [ 0:57 ] AGAIN?

This is what happens when your editor uses waaaay too many shortcuts and can't be arsed to spellcheck and correct a very simple mistake that catches the eye and is very annoying to look at.

2) [ 1:10 ] The CPUs falling down.

Another editing mistake, I KNOW that you pride your own speed and efficiency mr. editor (Not sure if it was Taran, but nonetheless I watched his very long editing tutorial and therefore I assumed it was him who edited this video) but you know, how long would it take to cut out the background of a fuckin* cpu? Seriously?

Look at THIS it's legit non-shopped (there's timestamp for proof) and you can see it's clearly a google taken picture that was thrown in the video without the least amount of effort.

Okay, say you can't be arsed to open photoshop for two whole minutes, grab the pen tool (or even the magic selection tool, considering the object is so simple) and cut out the white, how long would it take for you to write "png" or "render" after "Haswell" in your google search and obtain a render? My god.

3) [ 2:01 ] Those fingerprints.

70k+ of camera equipment, can't even polish the subject properly.

Oh right, I know that fingerprint stains can become permanent, but am I the only one who remembers a video made by Luke that addresses this issue directly? Considering nobody at LTT does this, then yeah I'm probably the only one.

4) [ 3:32 ] Out of focus thumbs up.

Oh Brandon. I shouldn't even be telling you. With those beautiful Sigma Cine Lenses and that marvelous RED camera that they gave you, why the fuc* did you make such a simple mistake?
Considering 70% of the parameters on that camera is metadata that can be fixed later, why the F*** couldn't you get the focus right?

It's not that hard you know. Considering you had to get two things in focus at the same time, why didn't you just put a higher f/stop value and increase the lightning? Or maybe put the thumbs up closer to the focal plane that you currently were using like in [ 4:11 ]? (That is not a good enough result either, but it's slightly better than out of focus galore)

5) Video quality.

This video was bad. Oh gaudy it was bad. Just by accident earlier while linking Luke's cleaning video I happened to watch it again and oh boy, the quality is SO much better. You shot that with an FS700 and Odyssey, and the quality was beautiful. Crisp, clear, well lit and composed.

Now you have 130k+ of camera equipment and the final result is THIS???

Color grading done so badly that you managed to make it lose information in the shadows and highlights, Terrible composition, terrible focus choice, everything has bright spots (made by the overhead lights you use) and overall it isn't a great thing to watch.

Why am I complaining so much? Because with 200k+ (total) equipment value you cannot present to us (the audience) such a quality with a straight face.

Check the comments on every red video you made, everyone who is a semi-competent videomaker complains that it looks much worse than MKBHD or Devin Graham (RED Users).

The RED is the simplest camera you can possibly use, it's literally foolproof. All you have to do is not screw up the focus, the composition and the histogram values (so even if you're shooting raw at base iso everything is not clipped or too dark) and the editor does the rest.

Why screw up the color so badly? Just use RedGamma4 and DragonColor color space, it will produce a brilliant result.

I know nobody worth a dime is going to read this (from inside the company that is) but if Taran or Brandon or Linus or someone else manages to read this please, step up your game because you're one of the biggest tech channels around and you really shouldn't give us a quality that an indian kid with 2000 subs can outdo with 1/200th of the budget.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------

Here's the video link so you can jump directly to my timestamps (adding links would make you open a new tab every time)

The Enforcer V3 (R.I.P 23/12/2014 - 28/04/2015)

The Enforcer V4 (Coming soon.)

37 minutes ago, matetx2012 said:

Okay, I don't care if I get banned or I get lots of hate from Linus' most loyal fans, but this isn't reddit and you can't downvote because you feel triggered by it so here's my complaints about this video.

It's mostly technical stuff, but I'd like to see it improved considering you have TWO FUCKI** RED HELIUMS:

-------------------------------------------

Here's the video link so you can jump directly to my timestamps (adding links would make you open a new tab every time)

No need to spam and derail topics.

Just now, sun2 said:

No need to spam and derail topics.

How is that spamming or derailing topic? It's a constructive criticism about the video on the topic related to the video.

How is that spamming? Make me laugh.

Just now, matetx2012 said:

How is that spamming or derailing topic? It's a constructive criticism about the video on the topic related to the video.

How is that spamming? Make me laugh.

You already mentioned it in like 3 topics? If you want it to be contrstructive use your topic and discuse it there.

And i dont reckon the points made, thats the real laugh.

11 minutes ago, sun2 said:

And i dont reckon the points made, thats the real laugh.

It's ok if you don't understand them, just stop posting and let some real discussion happen. By the way, there's the other thread now.

1 hour ago, matetx2012 said:

*Angry Man On Internet Demanding Acknowledgement*

Wow, I work in the film industry and even I think that this guy is whining.  LTT is running more like a 'News' organization, where it's running tight deadlines for segments and stuff, it doesn't have the same luxury of time as you'd see in narrative television or film.

This is also why I think that LTT could technically do better on it's chroma keys but it'd make no sense for them to hire someone like me and invest the time and money in having the chroma key shots get 'pixel fucked' when 99% of the audience would never even notice.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Wow, I work in the film industry and even I think that this guy is whining.  LTT is running more like a 'News' organization, where it's running tight deadlines for segments and stuff, it doesn't have the same luxury of time as you'd see in narrative television or film.

This is also why I think that LTT could technically do better on it's chroma keys but it'd make no sense for them to hire someone like me and invest the time and money in having the chroma key shots get 'pixel fucked' when 99% of the audience would never even notice.

Let's assume that they don't have the luxury of time, in that case why bother with such expensive equipment when you can't put in the effort to utilise it fully? That said I think they probably do have the time. I'm guessing they probably work around an 8 hour work day and they have at least one person dedicated to every part of making a video (one for scripts, one for filming, one for presenting, one for editing, one running benchmarks, etc.), if all those working together can't knock out a decent quality video in that amount of time then something's wrong. Now I don't want to insult their abilities and assume that they're incapable of doing, so I'm left to assume they just can't be bothered.

Just now, The Ran said:

Let's assume that they don't have the luxury of time, in that case why bother with such expensive equipment when you can't put in the effort to utilise it fully?

Answer: Camera Nerds With A Budget

It's like asking a LOT of questions in regards to LTT and why they do certain builds or arrange their hardware and resources certain ways.  the answer is 'Nerds With A Budget'.

Keeping in mind that for LTT, their main concern is probably time over money, not that they have infinite funds or anything but for sure, what they do, time will ALWAYS be of the essence.

I just wanna ask.

What exactly is the purpose of comparing gaming laptops with some standard-fare laptops?

The Y510P and MSI were decent gaming laptops. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's fine to not have a perfect video, but these seem to be major issues (I haven't actually watched the video because to me it seems more like an ad, and I don't go out of my way to watch ads).

It's one thing to just wing it and do whatever you want for fun.

It's another thing to constantly push quantity over quality with the justification of "we're a business now", and then go out and waste a ton of money and then the end result is shittier videos both in terms of content and in terms of image quality. They are spending MORE money, to make shittier videos, and their justification for shitty videos is that they need to make more money. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard "Linus needs to feed his family!" as a justification for pushing out a bad video, then I could probably afford the same camera gear LTT uses... That argument does not hold up if they blow a ton of money on things just because they feel like it.

Are they short on time? I thought that's why they hired a billion new people. Their staff has quadrupled and yet we hear more "we are short on time" than ever, even though the number of videos produced each week hasn't increased (from what we can tell). Of course, it takes time for new people to settle in, but I am comparing them to "the old days". It doesn't take like 3-4 years for people to settle in.

Shouldn't increasing your staff help with time issues? So far it seems like it has done the opposite, but maybe that's because they are adding too many new people?

Just now, LAwLz said:

Their staff has quadrupled and yet we hear more "we are short on time" than ever, even though the number of videos produced each week hasn't increased (from what we can tell). Of course, it takes time for new people to settle in, but I am comparing them to "the old days". It doesn't take like 3-4 years for people to settle in.

Shouldn't increasing your staff help with time issues?

More people, more projects, more content.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if LTT was ever not short on time.  The whole industry is short on time, and short review production type things will be the shortest on time.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

More people, more projects, more content.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if LTT was ever not short on time.  The whole industry is short on time, and short review production type things will be the shortest on time.

But so far it seems like they do not have more content.

Seems like it's the same amount of videos at least. One a day, plus FAP and CSF. That's the same as they did like 3 years ago.

And yes, they did things like Intel training videos before too. I am not sure how much more of those kinds of videos they do now, but they did, in fact, do them several years ago too.

At the end of the day, I think LTT is prioritizing quantity over everything else and as a result, they release a bunch of rushed content full of issues, paid promotions and other types of ads. They have become the McDonalds of tech youtubers.

If they are short on time then why not break their "one video a day" restriction they have forced upon themselves?

"Ohh because they need more money!"

Well they wouldn't need more money if they stopped hiring a bunch of people who just seem to be putting them under more stress to begin with, on top of costing a ton of money.

Or maybe they should stop spending massive amounts of money on equipment when the end result apparently isn't even better than what they could do with their old stuff that cost a fraction of their current gear.

"But they just want to have some fun"

OK, but then don't justify a bunch of issues by saying "we're a business and need to make money" later.

Production values are going down, while the cost of production went up... does not compute!

Is LMG running out of ideas?

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Would of been nice to disclose that the giveaway was US only at the start of the video...

I'll say it here too: Getting tired of the forced No Man's Sky jokes in these scripts. It's like /r/fellowkids kind of pandering.

I feel like this may have been rigged, as the origin laptop beats the rest and it's also sponsored by origin. Also why is the giveaway only on the US when LTT is in CANADA?

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Would of been nice to disclose that the giveaway was US only at the start of the video...

That's not how Linus works, if he did that "and it's smart for views" is to announce it at the end.

Has LMG sold out? like any company, probably, but we'll never know :P 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

23 hours ago, paranoid_andoid said:

I think that Orgin should not have had their laptop tested in this video... Compare old laptops? Sure, and have a spot at the end where Linus can explain that this is the modern version of those laptops and that they are giving one away. But this felt very close to a paid review rather than a paid video.

Yeah agreed.

42 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

I feel like this may have been rigged, as the origin laptop beats the rest and it's also sponsored by origin. Also why is the giveaway only on the US when LTT is in CANADA?

Ting is also not available in Canada. :P

Though as an LTT member pointed out in another thread some time ago, the geographic demographics for LTT shows the majority of Canada.  I had EXPECTED a 'Canadian Content Bump' in Canadian viewers, not that it'd RIVAL the US, but show a statistically significant bump in Canadian viewers, but nooooope.

You'll also notice that when LTT speaks about prices, it largely talks in USD and American MRSPs.

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ting is also not available in Canada. :P

Though as an LTT member pointed out in another thread some time ago, the geographic demographics for LTT shows the majority of Canada.  I had EXPECTED a 'Canadian Content Bump' in Canadian viewers, not that it'd RIVAL the US, but show a statistically significant bump in Canadian viewers, but nooooope.

You'll also notice that when LTT speaks about prices, it largely talks in USD and American MRSPs.

Ive seen them talk about things in CAD occasionally.

This is just a cash grab ad for Origin, the only reason they tried to pass it off as a comparison video is so they could include some crap old laptops to make Origins machine look amazing.

Misleading and very disappointing. I understand you have bills and employees to pay but this kind of shite needs to stop. 

This video seemed disingenuous to me, and It genuinely bothers me that you would make a video showing the Msi GL62 with the 940mx Gpu, instead of the faster 960m Gpu, seemingly, just to make the sponsored Origin laptop, look like it was a far larger boost in performance over the previous skylake generation of laptop.
It really does disappoint me that someone who is highly regarded as a ligament source of information in this community would mislead people like you did in this video.