B350 with good VRM and a heatsink under $100

Anyone here knows a good VRM and a heatsink under $100

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

Just now, TrigrH said:

all b350 boards have above average VRMs at best, hence they are cheaper.

You are basically asking "can i have an expensive cheap product".

Darn that was a retarded question xD. So I should go for the X370 then. If so what would you suggest?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

PC Mate, Prime Plus, B350 F Gaming if you can get it for under $100

3 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Darn that was a retarded question xD. So I should go for the X370 then. If so what would you suggest?

No, the VRMs on the b350 boards aren't bad enough to the point where it actually impacts OCing. You'll only notice a difference between a b350 board and x370 if you're looking at mediocre-bad b350 board vs best of the best x370 vrms (which would be the taichi and pro gaming)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Asrock Ab350 Pro4 is good. Honestly, any B350 is fine overclocking (but don't get MSI), I HATE it when people spread false information. I have a 1700 with all cores on 3.8 and a b350 just fine. And so do many other people.

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Asrock Ab350 Pro4 is good. Honestly, B350 is fine overclocking (but don't get MSI), I HATE it when people spread false information. I have a 1700 with all cores on 3.8 and a b350 just fine. And so do many other people.

7 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Why would you ever buy a 100 dollar b350 board.You can just buy a x370 board at that point

My life

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Asrock Ab350 Pro4 is good. Honestly, B350 is fine overclocking (but don't get MSI), I HATE it when people spread false information. I have a 1700 with all cores on 3.8 and a b350 just fine. And so do many other people.

yeah a  half decent 8 core can easily hit 3.8 on a b350 board, but if u want to hit 4ghz, you are going to need something better.

Just now, TrigrH said:

yeah a  half decent 8 core can easily hit 3.8 on a b350 board, but if u want to hit 4ghz, you are going to need something better.

Well hitting 4ghz isnt worth the 50-100 percent price increase IMO if you can hit 3.8/9 on b350 (it more depends on chip btw)

3 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Well hitting 4ghz isnt worth the 50-100 percent price increase IMO if you can hit 3.8/9 on b350 (it more depends on chip btw)

How is it a 50 percent increase

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157769&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

My life

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

No, the VRMs on the b350 boards aren't bad enough to the point where it actually impacts OCing. You'll only notice a difference between a b350 board and x370 if you're looking at mediocre-bad b350 board vs best of the best x370 vrms (which would be the taichi and pro gaming)

PC Mate sucks hard

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

6 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

You can hit, but the VRMs will go 130+

6 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

Anyone here knows a good VRM and a heatsink under $100

B350 with best VRMs is Asus B350-F Strix

If you go with R7, then get Asus X370 Prime Pro at least

6 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Asrock Ab350 Pro4 is good. Honestly, any B350 is fine overclocking (but don't get MSI), I HATE it when people spread false information. I have a 1700 with all cores on 3.8 and a b350 just fine. And so do many other people.

You stop spreading false information.

ASRock has only 3 phases, you imagine how shitty the voltage control and precision will be

8 hours ago, DocSwag said:

They are bad enough to limit OC potential.  There are some B350 boards that now have "65w only" warnings.

B350 Strix and B350 Krait are the only boards with at least mid-range VRMs.  Most all of the rest are not going to cut it with a R7 series CPU above ~3.6ghz.  The average 4+2 VRM B350 boards can hit 100c+ on the VRM at 3.8ghz on a R7 1700.  Strix/Krait end up in the 60c range in the same scenario.

If you are using a R5 series CPU, the Asus B350 Prime would likely be fine for a sub $100 board.  Mainly because the R5 chips pull 25%-50% less power vs R7 chips.

I got an R5 1600 on a GB AB350 Gaming 3 to 3.85GHz quite easily. The CPU doesn't want to go higher without an obscene amount of voltage...so I settled for 3.85GHz.

VRM MOS topped at 92 degrees C while VRM SOC went up to 77.Temps were recorded while encoding a H.265 clip with handbrake(27min clip, the encode took 1.5h).

Fans were on the quiet profile, thus the high temp.

During gaming VRM usually goes around 66-70 degrees C, sometimes 75. VSOC is usually 3-5 degrees lower.

Ambient temp is around 25-26 degrees C.

I expect temps will go down quite a bit since we're heading into autumn/winter.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Just now, TorqueS said:

I got an R5 1600 on a GB AB350 Gaming 3 to 3.85GHz quite easily. The CPU doesn't want to go higher without an obscene amount of voltage...so I settled for 3.85GHz.

VRM MOS topped at 92 degrees C while VRM SOC went up to 77.Temps were recorded while encoding a H.265 clip with handbrake(27min clip, the encode took 1.5h).

Fans were on the quiet profile, thus the high temp.

During gaming VRM usually goes around 66-70 degrees C, sometimes 75. VSOC is usually 3-5 degrees lower.

Ambient temp is around 25-26 degrees C.

I expect temps will go down quite a bit since we're heading into autumn/winter.

You need to tell us your voltage, frequencies dont really matter when talking about VRMs

10 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I got the AB350M Pro4 and i got it to a quick and dirty OC of 3.7 in one try (set voltage to 1.325)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

They are bad enough to limit OC potential.  There are some B350 boards that now have "65w only" warnings.

B350 Strix and B350 Krait are the only boards with at least mid-range VRMs.  Most all of the rest are not going to cut it with a R7 series CPU above ~3.6ghz.  The average 4+2 VRM B350 boards can hit 100c+ on the VRM at 3.8ghz on a R7 1700.  Strix/Krait end up in the 60c range in the same scenario.

If you are using a R5 series CPU, the Asus B350 Prime would likely be fine for a sub $100 board.  Mainly because the R5 chips pull 25%-50% less power vs R7 chips.

And what exactly is wrong with 100C?

Most VRMs out there are capable of going up to 125C. They aren't like your CPUs and GPUs, they can sustain higher temps.

It's just like how everyone was blowing up (pun intended) about the evga vrms running too hot. But it turns out they weren't, they were running well below 125C but some people saw 100C and panicked and then cards started blowing up and everyone pointed at the vrms as the issue whereas in reality it probably was just a bad batch of capacitors (see gamersnexus coverage).

Also I would like a source for those boards hitting those temps. Not saying you're wrong, just want to make sure it's correct.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Most VRMs out there are capable of going up to 125C. They aren't like your CPUs and GPUs, they can sustain higher temps.

It's just like how everyone was blowing up (pun intended) about the evga vrms running too hot. But it turns out they weren't, they were running well below 125C but some people saw 100C and panicked and then cards started blowing up and everyone pointed at the vrms as the issue whereas in reality it probably was just a bad batch of capacitors (see gamersnexus coverage).

Also I would like a source for those boards hitting those temps. Not saying you're wrong, just want to make sure it's correct.

The problem is that the VRM temp sensors are not on the FETs.  100c at the senor is likely over 125c at the FET junction, which is over spec and asking for catastrophic failure of the VRM which can take the CPU with it.

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If IR thermometer shows 100°C at the back of the board, on heatsinks etc. then yes, it is fine. But on board sensors aren't accurate 

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Mosfets are mostly fine, but capacitors not. I have a HiFi system in closed cabinet where is high temperature and few capacitors have already failed

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The problem is that the VRM temp sensors are not on the FETs.  100c at the senor is likely over 125c at the FET junction, which is over spec and asking for catastrophic failure of the VRM which can take the CPU with it.

Still waiting for a source :P 

Note though, all boards are required to be able to support a full 1800x. Even at 3.8 ghz that 1800x isn't pulling that much more power so I don't see it becoming an issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-review,5009-8.html

Plus, with a stock cooler that blows air downwards, that's unlikely to become a real issue.

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Mosfets are mostly fine, but capacitors not. I have a HiFi system in closed cabinet where is high temperature and few capacitors have already failed

But the capacitors on the boards aren't really at high temperatures.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler