Desk pc problem

Hi guys, 

I started my desk pc project a few weeks ago.. 

It is built similar to the desk diy by linus, he published earlier this year. 

As I started filling it today I ran into a huge problem: 

The first pump doesn´t get water, even when I lift the reservoir! Is anyone having any idea what could help? 

Thanks, 

Nik 

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

the system prolly is 'air-locked' causing the pump to not draw coolant in. lossen one of the res 'empty' fitting ports (usually a top one) to relieve air pressure.

a photo/pix can help diagnosis a bit better.

Thanks for the repy, was a few days away from home so I couldn´t answer.. 

I tried it with both reservoirs either and it still won´t work :/ 

I attached a pictrue on which you can see that the res was full, but when I started the pump I also opened it, I just closed it for the pic... 

The loop goes: Res (full) -> pump -> pump -> rad -> rad -> cpu -> gpu -> res (empty) -> beginning

I tried it with both or just one open res.. 

I just started the first pump, because I didn´t want the second pump to run dry... 

The pump is simply not taking the water! 

Does anyone know how a dead pump is sounding like? 

In the tube that goes from the first to the second pump is a little bit water, but it isn´t getting more! 

Thanks for your help!! 

IMG_4182.JPG

Looks like you need to siphon the water. The pump doesn't "suck" liquid through it and so since the inlet is lower than the pump itself it wont receive water until you lift the reservoir high enough for the water to move through, or you need to let some air to let the water overcome the height difference.

Ok just tried that and it didn´t work :I 

I lifted the res around 50 cm above the pump and the pump ist still filled with half water and half air.. 

I am pretty clueless, because I don´t even know how @LinusTech built the loop... 

Is anyone having an idea how to refer with the problem ://///???

8 hours ago, Nik-Cologne said:

Ok just tried that and it didn´t work :I 

I lifted the res around 50 cm above the pump and the pump ist still filled with half water and half air.. 

I am pretty clueless, because I don´t even know how @LinusTech built the loop... 

Is anyone having an idea how to refer with the problem ://///???

I assume the tube res your hold goes under the table to the pump on the left there? 

It sounds like you have an air lock try cracking a cap or fittings after the pump to see if it forces the water down via gravity. 

It's simple math, the res needs to be above the pump directly first. I can see from your picture you have the tubing going underneath and up again to the pump. The pump cant suck out the water from the res, try to fill the other res also.

Gravity can be a bitch sometimes bud ;)

Otherwise are you sure you connected the tubing to the right inlets and outlets of the pump? I've made that mistake with mine :P 

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

15 hours ago, W-L said:

I assume the tube res your hold goes under the table to the pump on the left there? 

It sounds like you have an air lock try cracking a cap or fittings after the pump to see if it forces the water down via gravity. 

Alright will try this later, ty :D

8 hours ago, XYOUNEED said:

It's simple math, the res needs to be above the pump directly first. I can see from your picture you have the tubing going underneath and up again to the pump. The pump cant suck out the water from the res, try to fill the other res also.

Gravity can be a bitch sometimes bud ;)

Otherwise are you sure you connected the tubing to the right inlets and outlets of the pump? I've made that mistake with mine :P 

I know, it would be muchhh easier if the res would be above but easy isn´t funny.. hahaha

I checked in and out three times, should be correct.. For the d5 by ekwb the inlet is on the side and outlet under it..

I will try disconnecting some tubing in the middle of the loop to scam the gravity :D 

I will report later, but ty! 

33 minutes ago, Nik-Cologne said:

-snip

Another crazy thought, but would help is if you can put the whole desk on its side. This way the water should feed the pump for sure.

Alright, just started the 7th try flushing the loop and it still won´t work... 

I think I´m done with this project.. @LinusTech isn´t telling anything about flushing the loop in his diy which makes me a little bit angry, but to continue working on it won´t make more sense when there is noone with an idea.. 

Thx for your help..

1 hour ago, Nik-Cologne said:

Alright, just started the 7th try flushing the loop and it still won´t work... 

I think I´m done with this project.. @LinusTech isn´t telling anything about flushing the loop in his diy which makes me a little bit angry, but to continue working on it won´t make more sense when there is noone with an idea.. 

Thx for your help..

Can you provide detailed photos of your tubing runs and connections. 

Alright here are some photos of the desk. 

On one photo you can see the overview which is similar to the way Linus did it.

On another you can see the tubing under the table. The loop order is (also similar)

res (1) -> pump -> pump -> rad -> rad -> cpu -> gpu -> res (2) -> res (1)

On the last photo you can see what I consider the problem: The pump isn´t sucking water, because it´s half filled with air! Even when I lift the reservoir 50 cm, the pump isn´t working properly! It is not running dry, but it isn´t pumping water.... I tried all ideas I got, do you have another idea?

Under both reservoirs theres a T -piece. The water flows through it, but if I have to drain the loop I can at least get the water out of the reservoirs.. 

It is connected via a quick coupling because I was a little bit worried when using a ball valve. 

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

2 minutes ago, Nik-Cologne said:

Alright here are some photos of the desk. 

On one photo you can see the overview which is similar to the way Linus did it.

On another you can see the tubing under the table. The loop order is (also similar)

res (1) -> pump -> pump -> rad -> rad -> cpu -> gpu -> res (2) -> res (1)

On the last photo you can see what I consider the problem: The pump isn´t sucking water, because it´s half filled with air! Even when I lift the reservoir 50 cm, the pump isn´t working properly! It is not running dry, but it isn´t pumping water.... I tried all ideas I got, do you have another idea?

The photos didn't get attached. 

2 minutes ago, Nik-Cologne said:

Yes I am sorry, they are attached now!

There is no water entering the intake of the pump, it doesn't suck water if your not priming the pump all the way, you need to raise the res up and ensure that your intake to the pump is the center hole in the middle of the pump and exits the top port. It looks like you have the intake and out of the pump incorrect which would be the cause of your problem. 

No I am pretty sure that I have done it correct! It gets water from the reservoir through the center hole and pushes it down (I inverted the pump)! 

Just now, Nik-Cologne said:

No I am pretty sure that I have done it correct! It gets water from the reservoir through the center hole and pushes it down (I inverted the pump)! 

Then fill the tube in front of the pump with water and turn on the pump, it should automatically fill if you raise the res #1. 

As the others have said, it looks like you are trying to work against gravity. Your pump is too high relative to your reservoir. When setup correctly, the pump and tubing before the pump should completely fill with water even when not running as the reservoir will force water in by gravity alone.

Also, the intake of the pump is the middle one with the clear cover, make sure you don't have it backwards.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

53 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

As the others have said, it looks like you are trying to work against gravity. Your pump is too high relative to your reservoir. When setup correctly, the pump and tubing before the pump should completely fill with water even when not running as the reservoir will force water in by gravity alone.

Also, the intake of the pump is the middle one with the clear cover, make sure you don't have it backwards.

I Unterstand, but Linus did it just like me! 

9 minutes ago, Nik-Cologne said:

I Unterstand, but Linus did it just like me! 

Take a ruler and measure the height of the TOP of the intake port on the pump from the desk floor. Then measure the height of the water level in the reservoir from the desk floor (both reservoirs should have the exact same water level BTW since they free-flow between them). If the water level height is lower than the pump intake height then your reservoirs are either too empty (fill them to the top, both of them, you should be able to just fill the first one and the second will fill automatically to the same level), or they are too low.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just keep putting some books under the right side until the pump fills up with gravity. Once primed the books can go.

Your tubes are quite dangly under the desk and just accumulating there.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

Just keep putting some books under the right side until the pump fills up with gravity. Once primed the books can go.

Your tubes are quite dangly under the desk and just accumulating there.

I already tried lifting the reservoir by 30 inches! 

The bubble in Front of the inlet floats into the pump but it still isn‘t sucking it!

Just now, Nik-Cologne said:

I already tried lifting the reservoir by 30 inches! 

The bubble in Front of the inlet floats into the pump but it still isn‘t sucking it!

Not the reservoir. The table.