Why using FPS to measure GPU performance is useless

eshbop

Tom's Hardware already covered the microstuttering issue and the perfect solution for it on AMD cards (A solution that existed for years might I add)

It's called RadeonPro and it offers Dynamic V-Sync for all AMD cards, it also completely removes micro-stutter (smooths out frame times).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-11.html

Yes, but you shouldn't have to go and fiddle with some other software that may or may not support your game to have your 2nd $400ish GPU actually improve performance for you. That should be a given.

It definitely works, "may or may not work" that's a baseless assumption made on your behalf.

There is no fiddling ,you enable the Dynamic V-Sync feature via the RadeonPro control panel just like you enable Adaptive V-Sync on the Nvidia control panel.

It also offers many more features and settings, including an AA (SMAA) injector that works on all games, unlike the AA settings in the Nvidia control panel that only work on a minority of games even when forced through the driver.

Dynamic V-Sync works on all AMD cards, unlike Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync which only works on 600 series Nvidia cards.

From Tom's Hardware

The GeForce Override setting only works in two of the 14 game scenarios we tested.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon,2868-7.html

So I've just bought $800 worth of GPUs now I need to go and download some 3rd party software, configure a profile for each game and then expect them to run fine? Good, it might not be difficult, but that doesn't mean I should have to do it. Why is every 2nd frame (in some games) produced in Crossfire essentially useless? Why hasn't AMD got around to implementing what RadeonPro does? That's the point I'm trying to make. Not everyone knows about this software, there's 1/2 million hits, how many people own AMD cards? AMD has admitted themselves they need to fix this problem. Why do they care if there's already a fix?

So I link users of this forum an article, cos you know this is largely a PC hardware forum, someone might just be interested, start a conversation, whatever. Now I'm being told I got "burnt". Wow, grow up...

Using 3rd party software to tweak/overclock is pretty common, and this problem only noticeable in Crossfire configuration.

Anyway, good job to those involved in bringing up this issue, now AMD can work their ass off to fix it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Using 3rd party software is common and easy for people who know what they are doing, and feel safe doing so, but many people do not know enough about GPUs and would be afraid to mess around with them- also who would think that a third party software could do a better job than the manufacture's software?. Like eshbop said, when you buy expensive hardware (which comes with software) you expect that the provided software will be able to use the full performance of the hardware.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Using 3rd party software to tweak/overclock is pretty common, and this problem only noticeable in Crossfire configuration.

Anyway, good job to those involved in bringing up this issue, now AMD can work their ass off to fix it.

They already have, they will include it in their CCC at the same time the 7990 is released .

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/tech-news-reviews/147754-new-amd-crossfire-feature-to-smooth-out-framerates

Using 3rd party software to tweak/overclock is pretty common' date=' and this problem only noticeable in Crossfire configuration. Anyway, good job to those involved in bringing up this issue, now AMD can work their ass off to fix it.[/quote']

You're missing the point, don't you think that this is strange ? to bring up micro-stutter on multi-GPU configurations specifically now ?

AMD users have had RadeonPro for years , and the Dynamic V-Sync feature was available on all AMD Rardeon graphics cards for years, suddenly Nvidia implements the exact same technology & locks it to 600 series cards & all sorts of websites start harping about how "Nvidia slolved the issue and AMD didn't" .

In fact it's the other way around completely, AMD users have had and still have Dynamic V-Sync on all of of their cards, it's free & it's actually more advanced.

Nvidia just introduced the same solution for the first time, locked it to Nvidia 600 cards even though they could've easily implemented it on the software level like RadeonPro for previous generations of cards.

Adaptive V-Sync is all part of Nvidia's marketing they've always had a very strong PR presence.

Their marketing is so good that they burrowed a feature a competitor had for years on end, made a very limited implementation of it on a very limited number of cards & somehow made their competitor look bad, I have to give it to the Nvidia marketing team, they're good.

And to be completely honest if you spend 800-1000 dollars on graphics, you better know what you're doing.

It definitely works' date=' "may or may not work" that's a baseless assumption made on your behalf. There is no fiddling ,you enable the Dynamic V-Sync feature via the RadeonPro control panel just like you enable Adaptive V-Sync on the Nvidia control panel. It also offers many more features and settings, including an AA (SMAA) injector that works on all games, unlike the AA settings in the Nvidia control panel that only work on a minority of games even when forced through the driver. Dynamic V-Sync works on all AMD cards, unlike Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync which only works on 600 series Nvidia cards. From Tom's Hardware
The GeForce Override setting only works in two of the 14 game scenarios we tested.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2868-7.html[/url=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon,2868-7.html]

That's false. My 560 Ti card is using Adaptive V-sync. If I only had Vsync enabled, in Tomb Raider, I would see some serious stuttering, because in the benchmark, my FPS dips to 58. With only Vsync enabled, it would hop down to 30, but it doesn't.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

oh, i thought they will implement that feature on July release that they talked about.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I haven't heard of the July release, what did they say ?

Using 3rd party software to tweak/overclock is pretty common' date=' and this problem only noticeable in Crossfire configuration. Anyway, good job to those involved in bringing up this issue, now AMD can work their ass off to fix it.[/quote']

You're missing the point, don't you think that this is strange ? to bring up micro-stutter on multi-GPU configurations specifically now ?

AMD users have had RadeonPro for years , and the Dynamic V-Sync feature was available on all AMD Rardeon graphics cards for years, suddenly Nvidia implements the exact same technology & locks it to 600 series cards & all sorts of websites start harping about how "Nvidia slolved the issue and AMD didn't" .

In fact it's the other way around completely, AMD users have had and still have Dynamic V-Sync on all of of their cards, it's free & it's actually more advanced.

Nvidia just introduced the same solution for the first time, locked it to Nvidia 600 cards even though they could've easily implemented it on the software level like RadeonPro for previous generations of cards.

Adaptive V-Sync is all part of Nvidia's marketing they've always had a very strong PR presence.

Their marketing is so good that they burrowed a feature a competitor had for years on end, made a very limited implementation of it on a very limited number of cards & somehow made their competitor look bad, I have to give it to the Nvidia marketing team, they're good.

And to be completely honest if you spend 800-1000 dollars on graphics, you better know what you're doing.

I suppose you're right...only a tech savy person would spend so much money

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1