Cannot run 3200MHz RAM though it's compatible

So I recently updated the core of my rig - cpu, ram and mobo and I ended up with this:

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 gaming pro carbon

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R)

And even though I updated my bios to the latest version (v15) i still cannot run it at 3200MHz. It's locked at 2133MHz. I tried it with both XMP profiles, changed the aute clock to 3200 and still nothing. The voltage is running auto at 1.35v. I'm also experiencing a weird bug that causes the PC to turn on and off like 4 times before posting and booting every time I exit bios. If someone could help especially if you have an msi mobo or even the same one I have that would be great. Thanks for help in advance. If you want more info, screens or anything just ask.

Well, have another look at the compatibility list. Your memory isn't supportet at 3200MHz but only at 2400MHz. Not a good memory choice for Ryzen.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Don't use XMP and set the timings and frequency manually in the ram settings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Well, have another look at the compatibility list. Your memory isn't supportet at 3200MHz but only at 2400MHz. Not a good memory choice for Ryzen.

Ummm what? you have a closer look:

jwamGYM.png

1 minute ago, A_man said:

Ummm what? you have a closer look:

jwamGYM.png

Rofl. My bad. Was at the compatibility list for A series. :D

Last night was definitely too long …

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 minute ago, bowrilla said:

Last night was definitely too long …

I get you man, have a look at mine

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Don't use XMP and set the timings and frequency manually in the ram settings.

Do you know how to do that on click bios 5? If yes I would greatly appreciate your help. 

13 minutes ago, A_man said:

I'm also experiencing a weird bug that causes the PC to turn on and off like 4 times before posting and booting every time I exit bios.

That's the failed RAM overclock: the PC makes a few attempts at starting with your saved settings, calls to boot, and restores the default 2133 profile to be able to POST. 

So, the good news is that is the same problem, so you only have one. The bad news is that you still need to find a solution :P

If present in your motherboard, try to adjust the CPU-NB or SOC voltage a notch, and try overclocking the memory again. If you have troublea hitting 3200 directly, try other intermediate speeds first. 

Do you know how to do that on click bios 5? If yes I would greatly appreciate your help. 

Every UEFI is different, if there is no tutorial for your specific bios then you need to figure it out on your own.

UEFIs are pretty similar though, so stuff is labeled the same even across different brands.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

59 minutes ago, A_man said:

I'm also experiencing a weird bug that causes the PC to turn on and off like 4 times before posting and booting every time I exit bios.

That's not a bug.  That happens on most, if not all Ryzen boards.  It's a 'ram training' feature where the board attempt to find the correct sub-timings capable of posting.  Default seems to be 3 to 5 fail attempts, usually an adjustable setting in the bios.

My advice, Double check your bios version.  7B00v15 should be the latest at the moment.  Enable the A-XMP setting and verify the timings it selects are correct (sticker on ram).  DDR Voltage to 1.35v.  CPU-NB or SOC Voltage to 1.1v.  Save settings and allow the system to cycle on/off.  I've even heard you can change the fail attempts number in the bios higher to give the board more attempts.  If this doesn't work, you may have to dial in your ram timings manually, or try a lower dram frequency.  Maybe 3000MHz (2933).

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Don't use XMP, enter your timings manually. Raise DDRV to 1.4v and SOC Voltage to 1.2v. Ensure your bios has implemented Agesa 1006. If you still have issues, try raising TRC to around 65 (it should be TRP + TRAS added together) as I have found if you enter the default it tends to cause issues, most Ryzen boards will default it to 75 under memory training

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Someone should make a sticky.  I see posts from Ryzen owners with this problem almost every day.

BTW, if this was an issue with intel, every reply would be; "You should have bought Ryzen".

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I am running that memory at 3200 mhz, and yes those are exactly the same sticks.
But it is on a ASUS Prime B350 Plus.
image.png

Guys, there are so many answers but they only create more questions. Should I use XMP or not, should i set the SOC voltage to 1.1 or 1.2, so Idk what should I do rn. I gathered some screenshots of my bios so maybe it'll be easier for you to figure it out:

exYe3Pn.jpg

TGvkA4T.jpg

Notice that the SOC voltage and DDRv are set to auto and run at 0.8 and 1.2 accordingly, but I don't know why it is sometimes 1.2v and 1.35v. The other thing that confuses me is that the timing that you can see in advanced DDR configuration are not the ones from the XMP profile. So either go and create a sticky or help me out together because everyone tells me something else.

13 minutes ago, A_man said:

Guys, there are so many answers but they only create more questions. Should I use XMP or not, should i set the SOC voltage to 1.1 or 1.2, so Idk what should I do rn. I gathered some screenshots of my bios so maybe it'll be easier for you to figure it out

Notice that the SOC voltage and DDRv are set to auto and run at 0.8 and 1.2 accordingly, but I don't know why it is sometimes 1.2v and 1.35v. The other thing that confuses me is that the timing that you can see in advanced DDR configuration are not the ones from the XMP profile. So either go and create a sticky or help me out together because everyone tells me something else.

With how new the Ryzen platform is, I fear it requires a fair bit of prior knowledge regarding bios/uefi, overclocking, voltages, etc.  It's too new to simply work perfectly out-of-the-box.  It's going to be a matter of trial and error.  You've been given plenty of good information.  All that's left to do now is try each piece of advice and see if it works.  Try to clock your memory with XMP enabled.  Try it without XMP enabled.. you'll have to enter your timings and voltages manually, but fortunately for you, @HisEvilness posted a screenshot of your ram kit's timings.  One thing is a MUST though.  You will need 1.35v and probably 1.1v NB/SOC to get the kit running at it's rated 3200 frequency.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

My expericance on Ryzen has not been smooth.

I managed to get 3200Mhz runnig fine. I looked on other forums about the same issue and nearly everyone has there ram voltage set higher than stock, just to get 3200Mhz working. Even after the AGESA update, For me my RAM is rated at 1.35v but I got it running at 1.38v. I have also increased ProcODT, as that also has a big diffrence on higher ram frequencys. According to AMD it should not be set to any higher than 80. I had to change it from Auto becuase it was not using the right setting.

1 hour ago, HatchetEgg said:

becuase it was not using the right setting.

and what is the right setting?

1 hour ago, johndms said:

With how new the Ryzen platform is, I fear it requires a fair bit of prior knowledge regarding bios/uefi, overclocking, voltages, etc.  It's too new to simply work perfectly out-of-the-box.  It's going to be a matter of trial and error.  You've been given plenty of good information.  All that's left to do now is try each piece of advice and see if it works.  Try to clock your memory with XMP enabled.  Try it without XMP enabled.. you'll have to enter your timings and voltages manually, but fortunately for you, @HisEvilness posted a screenshot of your ram kit's timings.  One thing is a MUST though.  You will need 1.35v and probably 1.1v NB/SOC to get the kit running at it's rated 3200 frequency.

Thakns for advice, by setting the timings to 16 18 18 18 36 and SOCv to 1.15 and DDRv to 1.35 I am able to run at 2933MHz Is it safe to go with higher voltages to get to 3200MHz? and should I raise the voltage of SOC or DDRv first?

36 minutes ago, A_man said:

Thakns for advice, by setting the timings to 16 18 18 18 36 and SOCv to 1.15 and DDRv to 1.35 I am able to run at 2933MHz Is it safe to go with higher voltages to get to 3200MHz? and should I raise the voltage of SOC or DDRv first?

Your kit is rated by Corsair to run at 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 at 1.35v, so it should have no problems running at those settings.  I know little of SOC voltage other than what little I've read on the web and that Ryzen Master indicates mine is 1.1v.  My ASRock board doesn't give me the option to change SOC voltage (I assume the board automatically increased it to 1.1v when I overclocked my ram).  However, my VRAM voltage is at 1.4v due to my overclock (3000 kit running at 3200).

From a few searches, I see comments saying "Do not go above 1.2v on SOC".  DDR4 could probably go to 1.5v with adequate cooling, but I personally won't go above 1.45v.  My advice now would be to increase DRAM voltage to 1.375, or 1.4 and see if you can bump the frequency to 3200.  I'm afraid of SOC 1.2v because I don't know enough about it to give my opinion.

Just remember, just because it posts doesn't mean it'll be stable.  Stress tests with Aida64 or Memtest can help you ensure stability.

My 3000 mhz corsair vengeance LPX only runs at 2900 mhz on my z170-a.

When setting at 3000 mhz, it crashes sometimes.. not often, but somtimes, and also, stress test fails.

When at 2900 mhz, it runs smooth, never crashes, and passes all stress tests.

Motherboard issue ? or ram issue ? 

not sure, but performance are awesome at 2900 mhz still so I dont really mind...

Makes me doubt a bit about asus reliability or corsair ? not sure which is faulty here..

I am using XMP

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, gbergeron said:

My 3000 mhz corsair vengeance LPX only runs at 2900 mhz on my z170-a.

When setting at 3000 mhz, it crashes sometimes.. not often, but somtimes, and also, stress test fails.

When at 2900 mhz, it runs smooth, never crashes, and passes all stress tests.

Motherboard issue ? or ram issue ? 

not sure, but performance are awesome at 2900 mhz still so I dont really mind...

Makes me doubt a bit about asus reliability or corsair ? not sure which is faulty here..

I am using XMP

Not exactly the thread you should be looking for.. This is about AMD and you have an Intel so it's definitely not the same issue.

Not exactly the thread you should be looking for.. This is about AMD and you have an Intel so it's definitely not the same issue.

I know I was just participating :) 

Still similar issue tho... I've seen many threads on internet concerning corsair vengeance ram not being able to be clocked at advertising speed, so i think this might be the issue

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

i have build alot of rigs with corsair ram since like 2005 until nowdays (ddr2 to ddr4), poeple always wanted Corsair RAM. 

My experience is that in 1 (which was corsair dominator) out of approximately 50 builds corsair ram managed to run at rated speeds without overvoltage/tuning. Thats why i dont buy it for my personal rigs anymore :) 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |