Computer freezes even in BIOS

My computer will boot up and actually reach to the Windows OS bootup, but after a new minutes, the screen will simply freeze. This freezing continues after each hard-reset, and the interval between the re-bootup and the freezing becomes shorter each time, to an extend that not even the motherboard's welcoming screen shows up. The freezing is also present even in BIOS. The computer was unused for 2-3 weeks. Before that only issue I had was bios would reset itself and wouldn't save any changes unless I update bios each time after a cold boot. The freezing issue started only now. Specs are AMD FX 8320, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070, 650W Corsair PSU and 1TB Seagate HDD. Except GPU all components are over 3 years old. I had reset the CPU over clock when BIOS resetting issue started long back.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Just now, Rohit Jackdaw said:

My computer will boot up and actually reach to the Windows OS bootup, but after a new minutes, the screen will simply freeze. This freezing continues after each hard-reset, and the interval between the re-bootup and the freezing becomes shorter each time, to an extend that not even the motherboard's welcoming screen shows up. The freezing is also present even in BIOS. The computer was unused for 2-3 weeks. Before that only issue I had was bios would reset itself and wouldn't save any changes unless I update bios each time after a cold boot. The freezing issue started only now. Specs are AMD FX 8320, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070, 650W Corsair PSU and 1TB Seagate HDD. Except GPU all components are over 3 years old.

Sounds like a temp issue. What cooler are you using?

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

Sounds like a temp issue. What cooler are you using?

Hyper 212. But it froze while I was just browsing net with no particular load, before few weeks when I used to use the Pc I could game for hours without any issue.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Hyper 212. But it froze while I was just browsing net with no particular, before few weeks when I used to use the Pc I could game for hours without any issue.

Sorry, saw it in your profile just before you replied. Does your motherboard let you monitor temps within bios. If I'm right your input should start stuttering as the computer thermal throttles, right before it crashes. I suspect the cooler is fine, but your thermal compund may have turned to paste.

remove and reinsert the cmos battery on your motherboard

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

3 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

Sorry, saw it in your profile just before you replied. Does your motherboard let you monitor temps within bios. If I'm right your input should start stuttering as the computer thermal throttles, right before it crashes. I suspect the cooler is fine, but your thermal compund may have turned to paste.

When I boot up the first time the mouse was lagging for few seconds then fixed itself. I will try remounting the cooler but then what abt the bios resetting itself issue ? Every time I am forced to update bios after cold boot if I want to keep my overclock

3 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

Ok

Just now, NrKj105 said:

lol, didn't notice that. Those things die so rarely that I've only seen it happen a couple of times.

Just now, slightlyjaded said:

lol, didn't notice that. Those things die so rarely that I've only seen it happen a couple of times.

its a hard reset to the bios , dont think it died either but it will reset the bios values

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

Ok

As Nrk said, the other stuff is potentially a dead CMOS battery. Basically what keeps a charge going so your bios can remember any changed settings even with no other power.

These things die so rarely that I think the last time I saw a dead one was on a 486

check list:

dust.....give pc blow out

cmos battery ...replace

test without....

gfx card(if onboard gfx available) , ram sticks, drives etc

to see if freezing stops

gl