Asus rog gl502vm vs rog gl502vs

migeo
Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
5 minutes ago, migeo said:

Is the 1070 that big of a boost? On my home desktop, I have a 1060 and it's good for 1080p. My gaming side is screaming to get the 1070 but my wallet is telling me to get the 1060 and keep the extra cash

It's a 30% boost

I've had quite a few problems with my xps 15 9550 and luckily I had bought insurance with it. Today the insurance company sent me a cheque for 2518 CA$. I've been looking at laptops and the two that I wrote for as the topic's title are the two I'm mainly considering

GL502VS and GL502VM same specs:

7700hq

16gb 2400mhz ram

128gb m.2 nvme ssd

1tb hdd

64 whr 4 cell batt

15.6in FHD display

Now for the different specs:

GL502VS:

120hz display

2199 CA$

GL502VM:

60hz display

2000 CA$ <-- not sure about the price since my local dealer (who's an official asus reseller which is why I only have asus laptops) only told me about the VS which is the version I asked him about. Probably less (around 1800)

I'm planning on installing a 1tb crucial mx ssd if I go with the VM option. 

At these prices which is more worth it? 

I'm open as well to the 17 inch version since it'll have a bigger battery, better cooling and since I'm not taking notes on my laptop in class, it doesn't matter if it's that big.

The laptop is going to be my desktop replacement since I'm not living at home during uni. 

The 17.3 inch model had same storage 1080p 60hz display, 1060 for 1899 CA$ (which is why I think the 15.6in version is cheaper) and I would probably install the ssd in this one as well. 

I'm open to any suggestion. For around 2500 CA$, what can you recommend? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Is the 1070 that big of a boost? On my home desktop, I have a 1060 and it's good for 1080p. My gaming side is screaming to get the 1070 but my wallet is telling me to get the 1060 and keep the extra cash

5 minutes ago, migeo said:

It's a 30% boost

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

It's a 30% boost

Damn. I guess bo ssd then lol. Thanks! 

Neither of these laptops r good.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, Pendragon said:

^^I second this

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I have the RoG GL502VM. I can tell you a few things;

• There is no NVIDIA Optimus, so you'll be using the dedicated GPU 24/7. As a result, battery life is not good in comparison to laptops of a similar size with have Optimus. The reason for the lack of Optimus is G-SYNC.
  • Depending on your unit, the sustained load temps may be a bit high on the CPU side. I would recommend using it in a well-ventilated room that's not too warm. Additionally, you can also put a good cooling pad underneath with adjustable fans that blow air into the intakes. If you really want to get serious, reseat the cooler and/or undervolt the CPU. Personally, my unit rarely goes above 80 degrees on the CPU and 70 degrees on the GPU, and that's when playing GTA 5 as well.
  • Make sure you update the BIOS. The GL502V with the older BIOS were known to have issues with throttling and performance. The recent BIOS update has mostly resolved this issue as my unit is able to maintain a turbo frequency of 3.5GHz on its 7700HQ (when all 4 cores are at work as it'll only throttle up to its max of 3.8GHz on single-core applications).
  • If you're going with the GL502VS, check the power supply. The VS variant was known for shipping with a power supply that is too weak for its beefier components in comparison to the GL502VM. More recent users have reported that it has been resolved, but do check beforehand.
  • You WILL hit the RoG gaming key on accident while reaching for the backspace on your first few types on the keyboard. Disable it in the RoG gaming center.

Asus_2.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

57 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

• There is no NVIDIA Optimus, so you'll be using the dedicated GPU 24/7. As a result, battery life is not good in comparison to laptops of a similar size with have Optimus. The reason for the lack of Optimus is G-SYNC.
  • Depending on your unit, the sustained load temps may be a bit high on the CPU side. I would recommend using it in a well-ventilated room that's not too warm. Additionally, you can also put a good cooling pad underneath with adjustable fans that blow air into the intakes. If you really want to get serious, reseat the cooler and/or undervolt the CPU. Personally, my unit rarely goes above 80 degrees on the CPU and 70 degrees on the GPU, and that's when playing GTA 5 as well.
  • Make sure you update the BIOS. The GL502V with the older BIOS were known to have issues with throttling and performance. The recent BIOS update has mostly resolved this issue as my unit is able to maintain a turbo frequency of 3.5GHz on its 7700HQ (when all 4 cores are at work as it'll only throttle up to its max of 3.8GHz on single-core applications).
  • If you're going with the GL502VS, check the power supply. The VS variant was known for shipping with a power supply that is too weak for its beefier components in comparison to the GL502VM. More recent users have reported that it has been resolved, but do check beforehand.
  • You WILL hit the RoG gaming key on accident while reaching for the backspace on your first few types on the keyboard. Disable it in the RoG gaming center.

Asus_2.jpg

I have GL702VM version and all of the above confirms. Just want to add some more:

It is still highly portable despite being 17" and I carry it to work anytime I need to, with no hassle.

Mine came with a 75hz display.

The SSD is SATA3 M.2.
Battery life is less than 2hrs for gaming and less than 4hrs for web browsing when using balanced battery plan.

Note: G-sync was disabled by default and had to enable it manually.

In the end I would go for the VS for 120hz experience. Just confirm all of the specs before receiving it.

50 minutes ago, Erfsh said:

I have GL702VM version and all of the above confirms. Just want to add some more:

It is still highly portable despite being 17" and I carry it to work anytime I need to, with no hassle.

The SSD is SATA3 M.2.
Battery life is less than 2hrs for gaming and less than 4hrs for web browsing when using balanced battery plan.

In the end I would go for the VS for 120hz experience. Just confirm all of the specs before receiving it.

The most critical thing is the BIOS update.

Version 305 of the BIOS has been reported by some users to have made a significant different in thermal performance. As such, if you're not already running that version of the BIOS, update it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

57 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Version 305 of the BIOS has been reported by some users to have made a significant different in thermal performance. As such, if you're not already running that version of the BIOS, update it.

Bios 305 is  for the Skylake series. For the Kaby Lake series we got bios 303 as the latest update and it is about system performance.

19 minutes ago, Erfsh said:

Bios 305 is  for the Skylake series. For the Kaby Lake series we got bios 303 as the latest update and it is about system performance.

My 502VM is on version 305.

It could very well be different for the 702VM. Although it wasn't mentioned, the laptop didn't seem to get overly warm during heavy use.

13 hours ago, Pendragon said:

10 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

^^I second this

Would one of you care to explain why you said that neither of these laptops are good? Obviously the battery life isn't great, it's not a premium construction, but aside from that, we get decent specs. I've handled the 17 inch model and I liked it. What are the other things that you don't like?

7 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Asus_2.jpg

Thank you for the extensive comment. Battery life isn't really a big deal since I always sit next to outlets in class and the only class that I usee my laptop to take notes on is programming class. I'm not really getting this as a laptop more as a desktop replacement since I'm moving every four months because I'm in a co-op program at uni. I need a portable desktop replacement and I don't really care how heavy the laptop is. Thank you for the information about the VS PSU and the bios. I did not know that (probably should've done some more research). I will definitely undervolt the cpu but I'm not sure whther I'm going to reseat the cpu. Depends on the temps. Finally about the ROG gaming center, some reviews said that it was useful and some just skipped it. What's your personal opinion? (gonna guess it's use;less since you disables it)

6 hours ago, Erfsh said:

The SSD is SATA3 M.2.

I actually decided to go with the 17in model after posting the post. I don't have a monitor in my room and I would rather have the bigger screen and battery. Thank you for the information about G-Sync. I'll make sure to check if it's on or not. I just wish that at this pricepoint they would've included an m.2 nvme drive and not sata 3. I'm thinking of going with the same model that you have, the one that I tried out at my local dealer, witht he 75hz panel. Will probably upgrade HDD to a 1tb ssd. although still not sure. I would've loved to go with the G752VS but this is way over my budget. Even if it has a much bigger battery, better cooling.  I'm even tempted to go and get the GL702VS but this ons is over budget as well. I'd rather have the VM and change the HDD.

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Bios update is the first thing I'm going to do. Gotcha.

Either way thank you all for your input.

I think you'll be fine with the GL702VM.

As a bonus, that laptop has an additional support fan for the GPU and support for Thunderbolt 3.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think you'll be fine with the GL702VM.

As a bonus, that laptop has an additional support fan for the GPU and support for Thunderbolt 3.

Yep thunderblot 3 was a major reason I decided to go with the GL702VM. Gonna go buy it after work today. So excited.

9 minutes ago, migeo said:

Would one of you care to explain why you said that neither of these laptops are good? Obviously the battery life isn't great, it's not a premium construction, but aside from that, we get decent specs. I've handled the 17 inch model and I liked it. What are the other things that you don't like?

It's probably a lot to do with the thermal throttling issues that plagued the machine early on in its life.

The RoG forums were filled with complaints about thermals being either overly high or so high to the point where overall performance was degraded significantly. For the GL502VS, there was also an issue with the laptop's beefier GTX 1070 drawing more power and the laptop only drawing 180W, of which ASUS has officially acknowledged.

The problems seem to be mostly resolved with the aforementioned BIOS update. Before, after starting GTA V, the framerate would dip by a metric ton for a long while before returning to normal, possibly due to voltage throttling. After the update, it's been smooth sailing.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It's probably a lot to do with the thermal throttling issues that plagued the machine early on in its life.

The RoG forums were filled with complaints about thermals being either overly high or so high to the point where overall performance was degraded significantly. For the GL502VS, there was also an issue with the laptop's beefier GTX 1070 drawing more power and the laptop only drawing 180W, of which ASUS has officially acknowledged.

The problems seem to be mostly resolved with the aforementioned BIOS update. Before, after starting GTA V, the framerate would dip by a metric ton for a long while before returning to normal, possibly due to voltage throttling. After the update, it's been smooth sailing.

Thanks for the info. In other words I'm good to go.

2 minutes ago, migeo said:

Thanks for the info. In other words I'm good to go.

Sweet. I can already tell you're getting excited. 

I know that feeling when I went to get my GL502VM.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Sweet. I can already tell you're getting excited. 

I know that feeling when I went to get my GL502VM.

Honestly, I wish I could take my desktop with me. Unfortunately I move every four months since I'm in a co--op program at uni so I can't really move a dekstop that much with my ultrawide monitor. It's too much of a hassle. I'm sad but I have to go with a laptop. At least it's a gaming laptop.

2 minutes ago, migeo said:

Honestly, I wish I could take my desktop with me. Unfortunately I move every four months since I'm in a co--op program at uni so I can't really move a dekstop that much with my ultrawide monitor. It's too much of a hassle. I'm sad but I have to go with a laptop. At least it's a gaming laptop.

At least its GPU is basically identical to the desktop 1060 minus the slightly lower clockspeeds.

There is a reason why it's not called a GTX 1060M.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

At least its GPU is basically identical to the desktop 1060 minus the slightly lower clockspeeds.

My local dealer told me that if he has the 6th generation skylake cpus, he can probably make me a deal. I personally think that I'm gonna go with this option since the cpu won't matter much between the 6700hq and the 7700hq. I'm just wondering if the older model has thunderbolt 3 or not.

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Just checked and happy to say that yes there is a usb 3.1 type c

3 minutes ago, migeo said:

Just checked and happy to say that yes there is a usb 3.1 type c

Yeah, and that port is TB3 ready

59 minutes ago, migeo said:

Asus gaming laptop design is mediocre

For instance, build quality is very mediocre (cooling design, material used for chassis) and ships with underpowered power adapter

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, migeo said:

Co op program

Ohhhhhhhhhh r u Canadian? I went to one of these 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p