Temperatures of Ryzen 5 1600 OCed to 3.8GHz

koji

Hello. I have R5 1600 cooled by ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L w/ MSI B350M Mortar Arctic OCed to 3.8GHz.

I think my temperatures are quite high when I compare them to others.

OC was done at the bios. CPU Voltage: 1.275V & SOC Voltage: 0.925V

Running for 30mins Aida64 I got 71C on the CPU and 84C on the Mainboard.

71C is high for 3.8 GHz right? At least from what I can compare with the other's results.

And also how can I make the mainboard temperature lower?

As for my case I'm using Anidees AI Crystal. 3 fans intake at front. 1 exhaust at the back.

Leftmost top near the back is 1 more exhaust.

Rightmost top near the front panel is the radiator with the fan pulling config.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

2 minutes ago, koji said:

Snip

Ryzen has a temperature offset reading to trick the system fans into working harder right? something like a 17C offset? if your monitoring software doesn't take this into account then your real world temps are likely in the 50's, not 70's. as far as mainboard temps go, i'm unsure about those, but 84C isn't all that high either. are you talking VRM being that hot? or where are those sensors placed?

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Ryzen has a temperature offset reading to trick the system fans into working harder right? something like a 17C offset? if your monitoring software doesn't take this into account then your real world temps are likely in the 50's, not 70's. as far as mainboard temps go, i'm unsure about those, but 84C isn't all that high either. are you talking VRM being that hot? or where are those sensors placed?

I'm not sure. I'm using HWMonitor software. They have the parameter called "Mainboard"

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Ryzen has a temperature offset reading to trick the system fans into working harder right? something like a 17C offset?

20C offset for ryzen yeah, good call. What monitoring software is being used?

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

1 minute ago, koji said:

I'm not sure. I'm using HWMonitor software. They have the parameter called "Mainboard"

Use Ryzen Master instead, which accounts for the temperature offset, your temps are good don't worry about it.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

Just now, Tartanskittles said:

20C offset for ryzen yeah, good call. What monitoring software is being used?

@koji Yeah I just looked this up.... 20C offset confirmed. However, most of the stuff i'm reading says that detection offset is limited to the X series cpu's only... that is the 1600x, the 1700x, and the 1800x. So if you're running the 1600, it may not be having that detection offset.

I would recommend using a different monitoring software to confirm this. AMD has a Ryzen purpose build software for this, but you could also use something like HWinfo which can account for it as well. I love HWmonitor and its the one I use, but its not so good for Ryzen specifically.

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

1 minute ago, Tartanskittles said:

Use Ryzen Master instead, which accounts for the temperature offset, your temps are good don't worry about it.

I think the offset is only on the "X" models? I'm not sure though, i've just read it somewhere.

Just now, koji said:

I think the offset is only on the "X" models? I'm not sure though, i've just read it somewhere.

Yeah i'm seeing that too... but just use a second monitoring software which is known to account for this offset then report back to us :D

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Yeah i'm seeing that too... but just use a second monitoring software which is known to account for this offset then report back to us :D

TIL that's only the X series chips, huh.

With a 212 EVO(dual fans) my temps are 70 Celsius and with Master Liquid 240 65 Celcius.
Idle it 45 Celcius with the 212 EVO dual fans and 35 with the Master Liquid 240.

For temps i useHWiNFO64 that reads the cpu die diodes as well as the diodes in the mobo.

1 minute ago, HisEvilness said:

With a 212 EVO(dual fans) my temps are 70 Celsius and with Master Liquid 240 65 Celcius.
Idle it 45 Celcius with the 212 EVO dual fans and 35 with the Master Liquid 240.

For temps i useHWiNFO64 that reads the cpu die diodes as well as the diodes in the mobo.

What clock and voltage?

Just now, koji said:

What clock and voltage?

38.25 @ + 0.11250 CPU and + 0.05 SOC.

I just heard of this offset temperature HWMonitor shows and I find it hard to believe. Here's the specs and story:

Ryzen 5 1500X, no OC atm

MSI Krait Gaming X370

Corsair H60 because I like my stuff cold and silent (ack, focus and don't think dirty stuff now)

Ambient temperature ~22°C, was a rainy day.

HWMonitor reported a minimum package temp of 27°C about an hour after booting up and using chrome for just downloading some warez (actually it still shows the same temp now, at probably 30°C ambient; I can't remember idle fan speed yesterday, but it's just over 1000rpm now). I ran Prime95 for about 40 minutes yesterday, and the max I got was 62°C at a max 1163rpm fan speed. Won't run it again now because meh.

Here's my doubts now: I know this H60 should be a bit of an overkill for a standard speed 1500X, but - while 62°C load and 27°C idle temps seem pretty damn good to me - I absolutely doubt that the CPU was in fact idling at 7°C. What say you?

PS: I do see a difference in HWMonitor between the temps that the mobo reports (CPU min 31°C), and the package temp under CPU (min. 27°C). That's far from 20°C though.

EDIT: Those temps come from an open bench, my case had a defect and had to send it back a few days ago.

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 6GB DUAL Series | SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

CPU-Z Validator: DUCKPC

This mobo has really shitty VRMs (like all other B350 boards from MSI except Carbon and Krait) so its possible and most likely that he voltage reading is bad/CPU runs on higher voltage than BIOS says, its MSI after all.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

7 hours ago, dave_k said:

This mobo has really shitty VRMs (like all other B350 boards from MSI except Carbon and Krait) so its possible and most likely that he voltage reading is bad/CPU runs on higher voltage than BIOS says, its MSI after all.

Honestly I dont like MSI very much too. I would prefer Gigabyte or Asus. Sadly only MSI offers a white Mobo within the budget.

Just to add: This MSI Mobo came with a drained CMOS battery. I had to spend extra $3 to purchase a new battery since it will be a bigger hassle to return or bring the mobo just to prove the battery aint good.