Should I wait for Vega 64 or get a 1080 Ti

Cosmotis

if vega was gonna beat 1080ti amd woulda been bragging already :(

good thing i bought my 1080ti b4 the card market went to hell lol

and now the miners know vega is the mining king the prices are gonna be as over inflated as buying nvidia anyway

I waited around a couple of weeks and was in your exact situation. Originally I had a Freesync 4K  panel but eventually settled on a more reasonable 1440p

All of the rumors about vega launching at $650 and crypto currency mining aside I concluded that the only other reason I had been waiting had been due to a bit of brand loyalty.

If the card actually does sell $150 over MSRP the cost savings with vega/freesync is essentially eliminated. What would I end up with for that then?

A 300W TDP card in a segment AMD hasn't really offered consistent releases for which costs nearly as much as a 30% more capable card and, possibly a little less future proofing. 

For someone who already owns a freesync panel and that feature matters to them, they have little choice.

For anyone else interested in high-end gaming Nvidia is at least offering regular improvements and has shown to be committed to the very high-end level of the PC gaming market. For me the power consumption and quiet operation that goes along with that was the 'final straw'. With the 1080Ti I have now, my PSU fan doesn't run and even under load the whole system is essentially silent. 

If you can afford it, it's really not much of a competition at the moment. 

Even if a Custom Vega 64 DOES outperform an equal custom GTX 1080 by a few % (like the latest Firestrike benches show), you still have to consider a VERY big point, that 99% of all people just ignore: Power consumption.

Vega will barely beat a GTX 1080 (or maybe just be at the same level, or slightly behind), by consuming almost 290-300 Watt.

It will consume 290-300 Watt for a Performance, a GTX 1080 managed to deliver 14 Months ago with just 180-200 Watt.

Even if you get a Freesync monitor... The difference in Power consumption will make your AMD GPU more expensive than Nvidia, and the Dollar you saved by going for Freesync instead G_Sync is getting smaller and smaller with the years.

tbh: Get the GTX 1080, or even 1080 ti, if you want to go 1440p / 144 Hz (please.. DO get G-Sync then. If Freesync, then Vega of course. VRR > everything), or even 4k/60.

I personally upgraeded my GTX 1060 i bought after Release (Only regret not getting a RX 480 because i could've sold it for 400+ bucks) to a GTX 1080 3 Months ago, after i got a 1440p/144 Hz G-Sync monitor.

I didn't regret it, and i do NOT regret, that i didn't wait for Vega. Just thinking about 180w. vs. 300w.... yea, Nvidia > AMD for me there, easy. I even undervolted my 1080 down to <140 Watt.

And GTX 1080 ti won't have any competition. It will be 20% faster than Vega 64, and still consume less, with only 250w base TDP (which is equal to power consumption for Polaris cards). Vega 64 Liquic will burn 345 Watt... yea no thanks.. completely uninteresting card...

4 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

It's all about the Ice Wall bro.  Insanity copied from the Flat Earth Society's wiki below.  It has all of the coherence and clarity of thought you'd expect from people who think the earth is flat.

------------------------------------------------------

snip

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, I just had to share this.

I would claim that that read like a discworld novel,   except I don't want to insult Terry Pratchett's memory with such bollocks.  So Instead I'll just repeat the usual trope about being a little dumber for having read it and go back to practicing tying my shoes with one hand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you are shooting for that 144fps cap, you should get the 1080ti.

Vega64 is not going to get anywhere near 1080ti performance.

I would also argue that the Ryzen CPU will be a bottleneck here as well, as Intel is the better choice currently if you are shooting for 144fps gaming.

EDIT: I am personally looking to pick up Vega64, but I also just invested in my 75hz freesync UHD monitor, so my goal is to be able to run at that frame rate minimum for the next few years at high settings.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

5 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

It's all about the Ice Wall bro.  Insanity copied from the Flat Earth Society's wiki below.  It has all of the coherence and clarity of thought you'd expect from people who think the earth is flat.

-snip-

That's ridiculous. 150 feet tall, so we don't know what's on the other side? People are so stupid..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

------------------------------------------------------

"The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world; the area which the light from the sun affects. Along the edge of our local area exists a massive 150 foot Ice Wall. The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. The Ice Wall is a massive wall of ice that surrounds Antarctica. The shelf of ice is several hundred meters thick. This nearly vertical ice front to the open sea is more than 50 meters high above the water's surface.

The Ice Wall was discovered by Sir James Clark Ross, a British Naval Officer and polar explorer who was among the first to venture to Antarctica in an attempt to determine the position of the South Magnetic Pole.

Beyond the 150 foot Ice Wall is anyone's guess. How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction "human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice," extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness. Some hold that the tundra of ice and snow stretches forever eternally.

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall, however. There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high. The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.

Temperatures are thought to approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth. Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the earth is something which will forever be unknowable by man."

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, I just had to share this.

stop the cancer lollll

Earth is a sphere any educated person knows that...

If its flat then, how come we have night and days ? lolll theres soooo many things that proves it, its a shame that many people are ignorant

I don't even understand how people can believe earth is flat ? omg ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's ridiculous. 150 feet tall, so we don't know what's on the other side? People are so stupid..

Lol we clearly don't have satellites that revolve around the earth to know whats on the "other side"

:P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

2 hours ago, gbergeron said:

Lol we clearly don't have satellites that revolve around the earth to know whats on the "other side"

:P 

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

See, you all just need to get more woke, and open your eyes to the globalist conspiracy that's all around us.

Okay, I'm gonna stop now.  I was originally looking for a quick couple sentences to laugh at, but I couldn't not subject somebody else to that level of insanity.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

On 11/08/2017 at 3:15 PM, Cosmotis said:

Yeah the more I think about getting a 1080ti, the more excited I get about it. I've always had a mid range PC, and this time around I want the best of the best for what I do. Lots of gaming and audio engineering. So I will most likely sell my 480 and get a 1080ti. I've heard about volta and stuff, idk if it'd lower the prices of previous gen but frankly I'm sick of "waiting for the next thing because it'll be better". The ti is still relevant and still at the top. I don't want to buy it and think "man I could've done a little better", and I don't think I will with the ti.

I don't think you'll be disappointed to be honest. I'm using the 1080ti on a 1440p 165Hz monitor as of now after receiving all my parts and I'm more than satisfied, as much as people would tell me "why not 4k?!" , because I think there's still a fair amount of work to be done on 4k  before it's entirely viable and I feel the 1440p tends to be the gaming sweet spot, decent bump over my clunky 1080p monitor it gives me that extra resolution i just need without going full out, whilst giving me high frame rates. Also maybe it helps as I like to run a single card setup rather than SLI due to the unforseen issues with some games not utilizing duo graphics card effectively.

Also with new graphics card [eg Volta/vega] there's always usually that early adopter tax you pay for the latest and greatest new stuff which normally I'm averse to (i'm the type to wait for multitude of hardcore reviews and customer reviews. Also like to wait for hardcore reviewers to benchmark the heck out of it [gaming wise] and present their findings then decide a few months or so before plunging into it.)

im hoping to get at least 7 years minimum out of the 1080ti, as with this monitor im also expecting around a 7 year lifespan minimum. i did manage to get along w/ a 7870/1080p monitor for 5-6 years so its definitely possible with this [or even longer]. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers