32ohm vs 80ohm DT770

Fredrikmikael

I am buying a "ASUS Xonar DX" sound card and a pair of "Beyerdynamic DT770" Headphones.

I see there are a choice between 80ohm and 32ohm, and i dont even know wtf ohm is. what would be the best choice to go for with the Xonar DX sound card?

**i am upgrading from Siberia v2, how much of a difference will i notice, sound quality and perhaps comfort wise ?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

i'd get the 80ohm one!

Also youll get flooded with people saying ew xonar dx, prepare yourself 

And yes they sound great and very comfortable ( i have them )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Get the 80 ohm since you already wasted your money on the sound card. Any lower impedance and you will start to ruin the SQ of the headphones.

Get the 80 ohm since you already wasted your money on the sound card. Any lower impedance and you will start to ruin the SQ of the headphones.

i havent placed my order yet, should i rather just skip the sound card and just get the headphones ? and if so should i still get the 80ohm ?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Skip the soundcard, get what is cheapest.

Yep. If you don't get the sound card, get the 32 or 80 ohm whatever's cheapest. Save the money and buy something cool. Google Chromecast is on sale for like $30 right now?

DT770 are pretty good. You won't notice much difference between the 32Ohm and 80Ohm if any at all. However if you pair the 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm with a sound card with a high output impedance you could it could introduce a frequency respones irregularity, but that would be less likely with the 80 Ohm. The 250Ohm are more balanced in terms of sound. The bass is less boomy and it also has a bit better soundstage, especially paired with a good amplifier. The 600Ohm are a whole other beast and a lot different than the other two and require a good amplifier to serve them justice.

If you don't need a closed back headphone, I would really recommend you looking at the DT990 as I find them to sound less hollow and less recessed in the mid-frequencies than the DT770.

DT770 are pretty good. You won't notice much difference between the 32Ohm and 80Ohm if any at all. However if you pair the 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm with a sound card with a high output impedance you could it could introduce a frequency respones irregularity, but that would be less likely with the 80 Ohm. The 250Ohm are more balanced in terms of sound. The bass is less boomy and it also has a bit better soundstage, especially paired with a good amplifier. The 600Ohm are a whole other beast and a lot different than the other two and require a good amplifier to serve them justice.

If you don't need a closed back headphone, I would really recommend you looking at the DT990 as I find them to sound less hollow and less recessed in the mid-frequencies than the DT770.

I highly doubt there is a dramatic difference in sound between the different ohm versions.

I highly doubt there is a dramatic difference in sound between the different ohm versions.

I own the DT770 600Ohm and I have heard the other models, it is an entirely different headphone. Between the 32, 80 and 250 Ohm models the differences are subtle, not like night and day differences, but they are noticable. Especially with the 250 Ohm in the lower region.

I own the DT770 600Ohm and I have heard the other models, it is an entirely different headphone. Between the 32, 80 and 250 Ohm models the differences are subtle, not like night and day differences, but they are noticable. Especially with the 250 Ohm in the lower region.

See, you can't say "They're a whole other beast" in one post and then say "the differences are subtle" in another. You wouldn't happen to have compared the two using a tube amp, would you?

See, you can't say "They're a whole other beast" in one post and then say "the differences are subtle" in another. You wouldn't happen to have compared the two using a tube amp, would you?

You did not even read what I wrote or you misinterpreted it. What I was trying to say is that the differences between 32, 80 and 250 are subtle (they are more noticable between 32/80 and 250 Ohm, than between 32 and 80 Ohm). The 600 Ohm are entirely different. This does not change anything that I have been saying.

I think since the 80ohm DT770 has a different design than the others (250ohm) consequently it has more of that boomboom rattlerattle shASeDc.gif?1 hip low end response that people like. 

OP if that's the kind of stuff you're in to, and I'm not judging, you might consider them. Would take 80ohm or 250ohm over 32 though. Unless you need these to be usable with a laptop or mobile device without any other interface.  

Error: 410

i'd get the 80ohm one!

Also youll get flooded with people saying ew xonar dx, prepare yourself 

And yes they sound great and very comfortable ( i have them )

I drive my dt770 80ohm off my onboard all day every day. 

since u guys have the DT 770 and i am thinking of geting them, i read on few other reviews that they sound bad in games, is that true?

i will use them for games and music as well

since u guys have the DT 770 and i am thinking of geting them, i read on few other reviews that they sound bad in games, is that true?

I use them for games and sound good, pretty large soundstage. For music mids are lacking just a bit which ive "fixed" ( not really a fix but improves it a bit ) with an EQ

From what i remember, some people said they have too much bass but i dont find that to be a problem in games, im really happy with them whether its for games/music/movies.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

depends on the game's sound engine I guess. in black ops 2 the dt770 was as good as my ad700 and all my other closed headphones didn't compare to those 2

in Ghosts I can't play as well with the dt770 and only play with my ad700. the dt770 is pretty good but I don't get the "hear it, point the gun and walk around the corner with the sights pretty well fixed on target" with the dt770 its hear it and spend a few seconds processing what I hear and then acquire targets.