p400 airflow

superidot

So I got a 7700k and a 1080ti a bit back and have had some ridiculous temps (cpu 95c gpu 82c). so after checking everything from the cpus bios settings and re apply the cooler I pulled the front panel off my case and gpu never passed 80c and cpu never passed 75c! Naturally I started moving fans around to see what I could do to keep the front panel on and achieve better temps. first thing that made a huge difference was moving the top exhuast fan and making it a intake and then I added another fan to the front of the case. temps were a bit better (85c cpu 80 gpu) but still pretty hot. 

specs are

cpu 7700k

gpu 1080ti

case phanteks p400s(tempered glass)

cpu cooler be quiet dark rock 3

case fans 2 roswell hyperborea 140mm front

1 stock 120mm fan in back 1 in front and 1 thermaltake 120 mm on the top

From what I have been thinking the temp difference must be from the hot air of the gpu( non reference) going up to the cpu. do you guys think a tiny 80mm fan as exhuast on the pci vents would help, or maybe even a pci slot cooler?

5 minutes ago, superidot said:

So I got a 7700k and a 1080ti a bit back and have had some ridiculous temps (cpu 95c gpu 82c). so after checking everything from the cpus bios settings and re apply the cooler I pulled the front panel off my case and gpu never passed 80c and cpu never passed 75c! Naturally I started moving fans around to see what I could do to keep the front panel on and achieve better temps. first thing that made a huge difference was moving the top exhuast fan and making it a intake and then I added another fan to the front of the case. temps were a bit better (85c cpu 80 gpu) but still pretty hot. 

specs are

cpu 7700k

gpu 1080ti

case phanteks p400s(tempered glass)

cpu cooler be quiet dark rock 3

case fans 2 roswell hyperborea 140mm front

1 stock 120mm fan in back 1 in front and 1 thermaltake 120 mm on the top

From what I have been thinking the temp difference must be from the hot air of the gpu( non reference) going up to the cpu. do you guys think a tiny 80mm fan as exhuast on the pci vents would help, or maybe even a pci slot cooler?

Two case fans in the front and one in the rear is the best configuration for temps. Anything more than that offers significantly diminishing returns...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Yeah, the P400 (or really any Phanteks case it seems) has garbage airflow. I wanted to go for that case, but the terrible intake made me reconsider.

There is not much you can do unfortunately, except taking the front off. It's mostly about the sub optimal intake (because of the huge flat front), so installing more outake fans won't do a much good.. It's still about not enough fresh air reaching the components. Maybe the 80mm fan can help with getting rid of some hot air.. But without cold air 'replacing' it, you wont be doing much.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Two case fans in the front and one in the rear is the best configuration for temps. Anything more than that offers significantly diminishing returns...

did you read what I wrote? with the front panel off yes the regular case config got me the best temps I could and extra fans wouldnt help. But I said with the front on adding just 1 intake changed temps dramatically

These cases with tempered glass panels are really show pieces and imo, should only be used for closed loops. The glass acts a trap for heat and just holds it in the case. If you don't wanna use a closed loop, I would seriously go with a traditional mesh based case.

I had to add a front intake to my INWIN for this very reason, and I used a 240, 360 and 120mm rads in my loop

qpP0xLj.jpg?1

my 1080 on water was hitting 65C which is way too high, adding that fan dropped it 10C

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, the P400 (or really any Phanteks case it seems) has garbage airflow. I wanted to go for that case, but the terrible intake made me reconsider.

There is not much you can do unfortunately, except taking the front off. It's mostly about the sub optimal intake (because of the huge flat front), so installing more outake fans won't do a much good.. It's still about not enough fresh air reaching the components. Maybe the 80mm fan can help with getting rid of some hot air.. But without cold air 'replacing' it, you wont be doing much.

The front Is that bad? is there no way to work around it? I noticed only with front off did I truly achieve positive pressure, when the front was on even with the extra fan on and all at 100% there was still some slight negative flow but maybe it is more negative than it seems, would it be silly to add another top intake over the cooler? would higher pressure fans help with the front panel, the hyperborea are rated at 2.2 tho...

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

These cases with tempered glass panels are really show pieces and imo, should only be used for closed loops. The glass acts a trap for heat and just holds it in the case. If you don't wanna use a closed loop, I would seriously go with a traditional mesh based case.

I had to add a front intake to my INWIN for this very reason, and I used a 240, 360 and 120mm rads in my loop

qpP0xLj.jpg?1

my 1080 on water was hitting 65C which is way too high, adding that fan dropped it 10C

that true? the p400 has thiiiiiiccckkk glass, I have tried having a big fan blowing on the case in different directions and that didnt do anything

1 minute ago, superidot said:

that true? the p400 has thiiiiiiccckkk glass, I have tried having a big fan blowing on the case in different directions and that didnt do anything

have you tried with the side panel removed, played/benched etc and monitored temps? Next time you get the thing heated up, touch the glass and feel the heat

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, superidot said:

The front Is that bad? is there no way to work around it? I noticed only with front off did I truly achieve positive pressure, when the front was on even with the extra fan on and all at 100% there was still some slight negative flow but maybe it is more negative than it seems, would it be silly to add another top intake over the cooler? would higher pressure fans help with the front panel, the hyperborea are rated at 2.2 tho...

What I'm saying is what I hear from experience online and from when I tested someone else's rig who had overheating issues (in a P400, non S, non tempered glass case). I'm not the biggest expert in terms of fans and air pressure, so maybe not the best to give advice on it :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yeah i did it with the side panel off and thats a whole different thing. I have never noticed the heat but maybe its too thick so next time ill feel the inside. I kind of doubt it tho but I might try using a different panel and see if it helps.

Just now, superidot said:

yeah i did it with the side panel off and thats a whole different thing. I have never noticed the heat but maybe its too thick so next time ill feel the inside. I kind of doubt it tho but I might try using a different panel and see if it helps.

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

have you tried with the side panel removed, played/benched etc and monitored temps? Next time you get the thing heated up, touch the glass and feel the heat

my bad

6 minutes ago, superidot said:

did you read what I wrote? with the front panel off yes the regular case config got me the best temps I could and extra fans wouldnt help. But I said with the front on adding just 1 intake changed temps dramatically

In fact I did read what you wrote, hence my reply. 

An 80mm PCI-E fan, if that exists I'm not sure, would not help. It might make your gpu a little cooler if you were to use it as an intake, but would introduce more dust. And as an exhaust it would do nothing, since the GPU would push air up and away from that fan. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

What I'm saying is what I hear from experience online and from when I tested someone else's rig who had overheating issues (in a P400, non S, non tempered glass case). I'm not the biggest expert in terms of fans and air pressure, so maybe not the best to give advice on it :P 

yeah I hear ya. you would think someone would have figured a way to counter the bard front airflow considering the p400 isnt the only case with small air holes.

In fact I did read what you wrote, hence my reply. 

An 80mm PCI-E fan, if that exists I'm not sure, would not help. It might make your gpu a little cooler if you were to use it as an intake, but would introduce more dust. And as an exhaust it would do nothing, since the GPU would push air up and away from that fan. 

I would agree with that statement in a normal situation but Im saying in the context of the situation there is a problem with the airflow due to the phanteks poor front panel design. I need some way to force more air through the front.

Just now, superidot said:

I would agree with that statement in a normal situation but Im saying in the context of the situation there is a problem with the airflow due to the phanteks poor front panel design. I need some way to force more air through the front.

mod it. Might be extreme, but if it bothers you that much (the temps) remove the panel, cut out a few holes for the intakes and apply a grill.

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, superidot said:

If you're using stock fans, you could try some static pressure fans to try to pull more air through. You could leave the front panel off if it doesn't bother you. Or like Stealth80 did, modify it to be a mesh front. People have done this to other phanteks cases like the Evolv ATX. 

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

mod it. Might be extreme, but if it bothers you that much (the temps) remove the panel, cut out a few holes for the intakes and apply a grill.

eXtreme effort, but a good idea for sure. Sort of a back up plan since its work.

If you're using stock fans, you could try some static pressure fans to try to pull more air through. You could leave the front panel off if it doesn't bother you. Or like Stealth80 did, modify it to be a mesh front. People have done this to other phanteks cases like the Evolv ATX. 

1 stock fan and 2 decent pressured 140s, modding is a solution but a last resort. leaving the front panel open is fine but the room is very dusty so it isnt a very good solution

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2017 at 3:50 PM, stealth80 said:

This sounds ridiculous to me, EVERYONE uses Tempered Glass cases now. As long as the case has good airflow it doesn't matter if your side panel is a solid piece of glass or a solid piece of metal! The amount of heat held by either really shouldn't change your temps in a drastic way whatsoever. Air flow through the case is the culprit here , not the damn glass 9_9 smh lol. It's just that the p400 front panel terribly restricts it i switched from a Phanteks Luxe case to the p400 and instantly seen a huge difference in temps. Also if I'm really taxing my GPU after awhile my fans will kick in at either 100% or close to it, but with the front panel off it doesn't get hot enough to do that. I'm going to either cut out a hole in the front for the two fans and put fan filters attached behind the panel with a grill on the front or i'm going to make a custom front panel out of acrylic.

CPU: i7-7700k 5.0Ghz, Cooling: Corsair H115i, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M7, RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200, GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Storage: 240GB MyDigitalSSD NVMe M.2, Two 2TB Seagate HDD, PSU: EVGA 850w G2, Case: Phanteks Luxe Tempered Glass, Display: 22" 1080p Samsung S22C350 (NOT for long lol) Keyboard: Corsair K70 Lux RGB, Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS, Sound: Corsair VOID + 2.1 Channel Speaker System, OS: Windows 10
PCPartPicker List

9 minutes ago, eeccrraaiigg said:

This sounds ridiculous to me, EVERYONE uses Tempered Glass cases now. As long as the case has good airflow it doesn't matter if your side panel is a solid piece of glass or a solid piece of metal! The amount of heat held by either really shouldn't change your temps in a drastic way whatsoever. Air flow through the case is the culprit here , not the damn glass 9_9 smh lol. It's just that the p400 front panel terribly restricts it i switched from a Phanteks Luxe case to the p400 and instantly seen a huge difference in temps. Also if I'm really taxing my GPU after awhile my fans will kick in at either 100% or close to it, but with the front panel off it doesn't get hot enough to do that. I'm going to either cut out a hole in the front for the two fans and put fan filters attached behind the panel with a grill on the front or i'm going to make a custom front panel out of acrylic.

I'm speaking from experience, you can literally feel the heat on the glass - ofc poor airtflow doesn't help, hence point about them being more for show pieces. All the top performing cases that I have seen don't have tempered glass panels. Also, this thread is 6 months old? 

My mod

k0MwyN4.jpg

CkdgcV4.jpg

niSl213.jpg

GPU temps dropped around 8C just adding that fan, the glass still gets hot after a good gaming session. But temps still drop with the window removed, surely cant be airflow at this point with 7x120mm fans

Ryzen Ram Guide