GTX 1060 to Save Money to save up for 1080 TI/Volta or 1070/1080

Here is the build i'm gonna go with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DM2Ppb

However I'm still deciding if i should save my money and get a gtx 1060 6gb so that i can save up leftover money for Nividia Volta next year or 1080 TI when that gets a price drop or spend the exta on a 1070

I wanna game mainly in 1080p 60fps/144fps

All help is appreciated thanks!

4 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Here is the build i'm gonna go with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DM2Ppb

However I'm still deciding if i should save my money and get a gtx 1060 6gb so that i can save up leftover money for Nividia Volta next year or 1080 TI when that gets a price drop or spend the exta on a 1070

I wanna game mainly in 1080p 60fps/144fps

All help is appreciated thanks!

This build is pretty overkill for 1080p 60fps, and you'll probably want a more balanced cpu/gpu combo if your going for a consistent 144fps...

go for a ryzen 5 1600 and try to get a used/refurb 980 ti. that should be enough to carry you over until you can get a 1080 ti or high end volta (which you don't really need unless you upgrade to 1440p anyway)

hope this helps!

the 1060 is a great card and will run some games at 1440p ultra 60+ fps. I say keep the 1060 until the next gen comes out.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Just now, xGGAx said:

the 1060 is a great card and will run some games at 1440p ultra 60+ fps. I say keep the 1060 until the next gen comes out.

the 1060 can actually handle 1440p well? I thought it would struggle a bit or something since 1070 is considered the best option for 1440p

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

the 1060 can actually handle 1440p well? I thought it would struggle a bit or something since 1070 is considered the best option for 1440p

try going with this build instead, you're overspending on ssd, ram, and psu-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cHsTkT

I would recommend you get a Ryzen 5 1600+GTX 1070/980 ti instead. Or rx Vega 56

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I would recommend you get a Ryzen 5 1600+GTX 1070/980 ti instead. Or rx Vega 56

what makes that a better combo?

Just now, yodaobiwan1 said:

sorry, forgot to mention- if you still want to spend $1300, you can get a 1080 ti with that build :D

REALLY HOW

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

1600 won't bottleneck a 1070 or 980 ti so basically you'd be getting however more performance a 1070 has over a 1060 (probably around 30% ish) for a similar price.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

The ryzen 1600+b350 combo is cheaper, with only a small difference in performance. Also, it has 6 cores. You can use the money to invest in a better gpu instead.

2 minutes ago, Colexd said:

The ryzen 1600+b350 combo is cheaper, with only a small difference in performance. Also, it has 6 cores. You can use the money to invest in a better gpu instead.

so would that benefit alot for video editing?

6 minutes ago, yodaobiwan1 said:

its more like $1400ish, but check this out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jkm9D8

you can save on the memory and probably can find a few more deals on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

YOOOO thank you so much this is actually GREAT 

so would that benefit alot for video editing?

Generally, yes.

4 minutes ago, Colexd said:

Generally, yes.

I do hear people say Ryzen performs a bit worse in games then intel cause of less single cores ( I think not sure. im really new to pc gaming) 

if so, is it noticeable?

It depends on the game, but i dont think its thats big to make me prefer intel, especially with that bigger price tag and fewer core count.

Just now, Colexd said:

It depends on the game, but i dont think its thats big to make me prefer intel, especially with that bigger price tag and fewer core count.

got it! 

Is it worth spending extra on a ryzen 7 1700/1800x or am i better off with getting ryzen 5 1600?

22 minutes ago, yodaobiwan1 said:

its more like $1400ish, but check this out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jkm9D8

you can save on the memory and probably can find a few more deals on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

Got it!
Also if i get ryzen, should i air cool it or liquid cool it? 

and is it worth getting ryzen 7 1700/1800x over ryzen 5 1600

The answer is very clear to me. With that CPU a 1060 will defiantly be draging you doun and at that point you might as well get an I5. I have a 1070 and a 6600k and I have definitely found the sweet spot. Idd get a 1070 if I were you as it will run any game easy 144hz. There is no point in getting a 1060 if you are just going to use it while saving for a card 1 rung up in the latter. Just use your igpu for a while and go for the 1070. It's only a bit more (relatively) than the 1060 and it's on the price/preformance sweet spot. BTW ethereum mining is at a bit of a low rn so I would watch the prices closely if I were you.

edit: I base this post on the CPU in the pc part picker page but the same would go for a ryzen 7

got it! 

Is it worth spending extra on a ryzen 7 1700/1800x or am i better off with getting ryzen 5 1600?

The 1600 should be fine but if you want to spend a little bit more then go with the 1700. They come with stock coolers so you can use them.

Also, a 1080ti is overkill for 1080p gaming.

Just now, Kd4lif3 said:

The answer is very clear to me. With that CPU a 1060 will defiantly be draging you doun and at that point you might as well get an I5. I have a 1070 and a 6600k and I have definitely found the sweet spot. Idd get a 1070 if I were you as it will run any game easy 144hz. There is no point in getting a 1060 if you are just going to use it while saving for a card 1 rung up in the latter. Just use your igpu for a while and go for the 1070. It's only a bit more (relatively) than the 1060 and it's on the price/preformance sweet spot. BTW ethereum mining is at a bit of a low rn so I would watch the prices closely if I were you.

gotchu. Someone recommended me this 1080 TI build thats a bit cheaper. is this a good build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jkm9D8

Just now, Colexd said:

The 1600 should be fine but if you want to spend a little bit more then go with the 1700. They come with stock coolers so you can use them.

Also, a 1080ti is overkill for 1080p gaming.

as i heard. is the 1080 TI perfect for 1440P 144hz / 4k 60hz gaming? 

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

as i heard. is the 1080 TI perfect for 1440P 144hz / 4k 60hz gaming? 

yes

2 minutes ago, Colexd said:

yes

do you know any good 1440p 144hz / 4k 60 hz monitors that arent TOO expensive?