Router Vs Access Point?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Consume grade routers typically have access point functionality built in, along with a 4 or 5 port switch + WAN (internet) port.

I would go Modem > Router (turn off AP mode) > Switch with PoE > AP

In non-consumer world a router will just function to route traffic from A to B and hold routes on how to get traffic between the different points, it might have a few ports that can act as switch ports but generally you reserve that for switches. A router deals with IP addresses.

A switch will move packets from port A to port B and deals with MAC addresses.

An AP can have multiple functions and can move packets between wireless devices, and also route packets in a sense of forwarding them to an upstream router for further processing.

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dumb question that I'm hoping the folks here can help me out with.

I just bought a new (to me) house and want to set up my network, but I'm not exactly sure what I need. The cable comes in the basement where I'll have a cable modem, and a switch, but for wifi do I need a router or an access point? I was thinking about putting a Ubiquiti access point on the ceiling of the main floor, but should I look at a router instead?

Can someone explain the difference between a router and an access point? Is a router more or less a Switch with an access point attached to it, or is there more going on there? 

Here's the Access Point I'm looking at if that helps at all:

Ubiquiti Access Point

Many thanks!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You’ll need a router before you can have an AP. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

A router is a switch + access point + router. A switch just distributes a signal, an access point provides wifi, and a arouter manages the network. 

So, I would either buy a wired router and a switch and do: modem -> (prosumer) wired router -> switch -> Access point or just do modem -> consumer router -> access point/router in ap mode. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Consume grade routers typically have access point functionality built in, along with a 4 or 5 port switch + WAN (internet) port.

I would go Modem > Router (turn off AP mode) > Switch with PoE > AP

In non-consumer world a router will just function to route traffic from A to B and hold routes on how to get traffic between the different points, it might have a few ports that can act as switch ports but generally you reserve that for switches. A router deals with IP addresses.

A switch will move packets from port A to port B and deals with MAC addresses.

An AP can have multiple functions and can move packets between wireless devices, and also route packets in a sense of forwarding them to an upstream router for further processing.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you only have a modem, you will need a router if you want to connect more than one device to the internet at once. If you have a modem/router combo, then you don't need to buy a router as it's mixed with the modem. 

Modern routers are actually a combination of many networking devices. They've been designed to provide everything in one box for most consumers, so they combine a router, switch, access point, DHCP server and other devices into one unit. The router part of that is responsible for directing traffic that enters and leaves your network, probably one of the most important tasks it performs is NAT, which allows you to have multiple devices with their own local addresses all access the internet via a single public address. You can connect to the internet without a router and plug directly into the modem, but only one device would be able to connect as you only have one address and no router to handle NAT. 

An access point is just a device that provides a wireless signal for devices to connect to to gain access to the (normally) local network. Most modern routers have an access point build in, but a dedicated access point will often provide better coverage, speed and control over the wireless signal. 

Basically, you need a router regardless. If you don't have one, get one. The access point may prove useful if the router's wireless signal isn't enough, but it does not replace the routing functions of a router. 

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dumb question that I'm hoping the folks here can help me out with.

I just bought a new (to me) house and want to set up my network, but I'm not exactly sure what I need. The cable comes in the basement where I'll have a cable modem, and a switch, but for wifi do I need a router or an access point? I was thinking about putting a Ubiquiti access point on the ceiling of the main floor, but should I look at a router instead?

Can someone explain the difference between a router and an access point? Is a router more or less a Switch with an access point attached to it, or is there more going on there? 

Here's the Access Point I'm looking at if that helps at all:

Ubiquiti Access Point

Many thanks!

There should be a TQ video about that topic.

But in short, the "cable that comes in" should be connected to the router, which handles all your connections in and out. The access point is usually connected to the router and provides wifi. So everything else connect to the AP.

Many router also have WiFi built-in.

1 minute ago, ErrantNyles said:

There should be a TQ video about that topic.

But in short, the "cable that comes in" should be connected to the router, which handles all your connections in and out. The access point is usually connected to the router and provides wifi. So everything else connect to the AP.

Many router also have WiFi built-in.

The cable coming in should connect first to a modem, not the router.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

It should connect to my modem for more internets!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Most routers have modem integrated. And you don't necessary need it. However, it's good to point it out.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. @djdwosk97 @Jamiec1130

I have an old wireless router that I've been using for years for 802.11g, can I just use that with the Wifi turned off and plug that into the switch?

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Access point?

I assume I need a switch with PoE, can anyone recommend a good 8-12 port option?

Maybe something like this?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight.

I have an old wireless router that I've been using for years for 802.11g, can I just use that with the Wifi turned off and plug that into the switch?

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Access point?

I assume I need a switch with PoE, can anyone recommend a good 8-12 port option?

it doesn't always have to go into the order most networks that have a switch look like modem-switch-router/ap/workstations/ect..   (everything plugged into switch)

or if you have a small network most routers have a 4 port built in switch so you could go modem-router-ap/workstations (with everything pluged into router)

poe stuff is kinda expensive its better to get a poe injector unless your planning on doing a mesh network with a few access points 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

5 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

it doesn't always have to go into the order most networks that have a switch look like modem-switch-router/ap/workstations/ect..   (everything plugged into switch)

or if you have a small network most routers have a 4 port built in switch so you could go modem-router-ap/workstations (with everything pluged into router)

poe stuff is kinda expensive its better to get a poe injector unless your planning on doing a mesh network with a few access points 

You want to have the switch behind the router. Most switches are just local devices so should be put after whatever part of the network is performing NAT (on the vast majority, the router unit). Having it before that poses potential security risks as it's not behind the router's firewall and there's also the matter of ensuring data goes to the router first. Makes much more sense to have the router after the modem then everything else. As routers act as the network's gateway, it should be the last/first device other than the modem between the local and wide area networks. Having a "dumb" device as the first/last point before the modem isn't a good idea. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that most networks have the switch before the router. I've never come across a network with that configuration, either a home or business network. 

So just so I know I have this fully understood, I broke our Paint and made a quick diagram.

Network_Plan.jpg

Is this correct?

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

So just so I know I have this fully understood, I broke our Paint and made a quick diagram.

-snip-

Is this correct?

Looks good :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

While I do not have experience with the router you posted, I can vouch that Linksys makes pretty good networking gear. The UniFi AP's are fantastic. I have been running one in my parents house for probably about 4 years now, and I have had exactly zero issues with it. I recently moved into my own place and installed one for myself - it has been fantastic so far. 

Another option for a router is PFSense on some old hardware, however power usage is going to be much higher with that, and you would end up spending $35 to $40 on a dual port nic. Unless you really want to set up PFSense for fun, I would just stick with the TP-Link router that you have selected already.

Good luck!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

8 minutes ago, AndrewReaganM said:

While I do not have experience with the router you posted, I can vouch that Linksys makes pretty good networking gear. The UniFi AP's are fantastic. I have been running one in my parents house for probably about 4 years now, and I have had exactly zero issues with it. I recently moved into my own place and installed one for myself - it has been fantastic so far. 

Another option for a router is PFSense on some old hardware, however power usage is going to be much higher with that, and you would end up spending $35 to $40 on a dual port nic. Unless you really want to set up PFSense for fun, I would just stick with the TP-Link router that you have selected already.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Only bad part about that is the TP-Link switch, they make OK products but not too great ones. If you are OK buying used, I would look on EBay for a used HP ProCurve. They have fire-ass warranties and are built like tanks.

thebros35, out.

Just now, thebros35 said:

Only bad part about that is the TP-Link switch, they make OK products but not too great ones. If you are OK buying used, I would look on EBay for a used HP ProCurve. They have fire-ass warranties and are built like tanks.

Thanks for the tip!