I deleted the download file for the Windows 10 update, how do I get it back?

About a year ago I deleted the KB0 file for the free Windows 10 update, I found that it was extremely annoying and was pressuring me constantly to update it. Since then the update message never popped up and such, but at this point I want to update my computer to Windows 10. How would I be able to do this? Thank you!

ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula

Ballistix Tracer 32GB (8GB x 4)

Intel i7 4790k 4.4 Ghz OC'D

GTX 980 TI Hybrid

EVGA Supernova G2 1300W PSU

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Samsung EVO SSD 500 GB X2 RAID 0 ARRAY

Corsair 750D Case

Kraken x61 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler

Check out my build babes  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wyrr8d

If it's been permanently deleted there's no recovering the file from your drive.

I know of one way to still update to windows 10 for free legally but I'm not sure it would be considered morally good.

Just now, JimmieJongers said:

Thank you so much! Do i have to be worried about me losing any data in the process of me updating my computer to W10? It's a RAID 0 Array and it's always been really scared of change (it's shat on me 3 times when i tried to update my mobo bios). Do I need to back it up?

I would suggest that you backup your important files since you're in RAID 0, but the Windows 10 installation does a pretty decent job at file migration.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

I would like to remind everyone that piracy is not allowed on this forum, and you can be banned without warning.

There is no legal way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. (Beside winning or received for free a license, or something a like... you get the point)

If you reserved your copy of Windows 10 through the upgrade app, it is all you need to get Windows 10 upgrade for free and upgrade at any time. When you reserved your copy, the app will upgrade your current Windows product key as a valid Windows 10 product key (your key still remains valid for your current Windows.. so it becomes 1 key for 2 OS, but remember it can only still be used once per PC). It was best to reserve your copy, and then uninstall the KB update, so that you can upgrade to Windows 10 if you change your mind later on.

If you didn't reserve (or the app didn't do it for you), then you are stuck at purchasing Windows 10 to get it. If you forgot if your reserved or not your copy of Windows 10, there is no way in knowing in advanced. You just got to try. Using Microsoft Media Creation Tool to prepare a disk or USB flash with Windows 10, you can use this to upgrade your current system to Windows 10. You'll have 30 days to downgrade to old Windows, before the backup of the old Windows (folder called: windows.old) is automatically deleted.

No legal way? Hmm, I'm not sure about that. If you download the Windows 10 installer and enter a never-upgraded Windows 7 or 8 license key during the install process, the installation will complete and be registered as the full non-watermarked version of Windows 10. Why would that work, if it were not legal, or if Microsoft didn't want people to make use of it? Microsoft may have ended the advertisement of the free upgrade period, but they clearly are still allowing, and seem to want anyone who wants to turn their Windows 7 or 8 license key into a Windows 10 key to do so.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

No legal way? Hmm, I'm not sure about that. If you download the Windows 10 installer and enter a never-upgraded Windows 7 or 8 license key during the install process, the installation will complete and be registered as the full non-watermarked version of Windows 10. Why would that work, if it were not legal, or if Microsoft didn't want people to make use of it? Microsoft may have ended the advertisement of the free upgrade period, but they clearly are still allowing, and seem to want anyone who wants to turn their Windows 7 or 8 license key into a Windows 10 key to do so.

It is because you already reserved your copy of Windows 7/8 (or the Get Windows 10 Update has done it for you). So fantastic news on that front for you!

I am sure it is the same case for @JimmieJongers

13 hours ago, JimmieJongers said:

About a year ago I deleted the KB0 file for the free Windows 10 update, I found that it was extremely annoying and was pressuring me constantly to update it. Since then the update message never popped up and such, but at this point I want to update my computer to Windows 10. How would I be able to do this? Thank you!

Unlike what everyone else might tell you, the accessibility upgrade still works just fine. You can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/accessibility/windows10upgrade

You can also still use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key when clean installing Windows 10 in case you don't want to use the upgrade.

Both of these paths are legal and work fine. I've used the accessibility upgrade a week ago, still works.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It is because you already reserved your copy of Windows 7/8 (or the Get Windows 10 Update has done it for you). So fantastic news on that front for you!

I am sure it is the same case for @JimmieJongers

It isn't. Any Windows 7 or 8 license key can still be used during the Windows 10 installation process, and it will be accepted as a Windows 10 license key. Also, in Windows 10, the System -> Change Product Key tool can be used to switch the OS key to a different Windows 7 or 8 license key, and doing so will successfully make that key become also a Windows 10 key.

Microsoft has left it so that all Windows 7 and 8 license keys become also Windows 10 keys whenever they are used for Windows 10. I think that the Windows 10 free upgrade period was just a PR stunt, while Microsoft actually just wants everybody using Windows 10 to harvest and sell their data, regardless of whether the 'free upgrade period' is in effect or not.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Yes, only if you had you copy reserved. It works like this.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Microsoft has left it so that all Windows 7 and 8 license keys become also Windows 10 keys whenever they are used for Windows 10. I think that the Windows 10 free upgrade period was just a PR stunt, while Microsoft actually just wants everybody using Windows 10 to harvest and sell their data, regardless of whether the 'free upgrade period' is in effect or not.

Ok, show me official documentation on this. Else it is considered piracy.

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok, show me official documentation on this. Else it is considered piracy.

Whether there is official documentation of it is irrelevant to the fact that it works - and people have been saying that it works on technology forums all over since the free upgrade period ended. It would be impossible for Microsoft to not know that it works, and I wouldn't be surprised that if I right now talked to a Microsoft support rep via their website that they would tell me that I can do this. It seems to me entirely deliberate that Microsoft is enabling this, and that the 'free upgrade period' was just a PR stunt to create hype with a sense of urgency and exclusivity - all for the purpose of herding as many people to Windows 10 as quickly as possible. Microsoft makes big money by harvesting / stealing people's data in Windows 10, and so for every person not using Windows 10, Microsoft is producing less money.

Why not contact Microsoft support chat and ask if you can use a Windows 7 license of yours to install Windows 10, or have it 'upgraded' by the support to Windows 10? I wonder if they wouldn't just offer to do it for you on the spot.

33 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Whether there is official documentation of it is irrelevant to the fact that it works - and people have been saying that it works on technology forums all over since the free upgrade period ended. It would be impossible for Microsoft to not know that it works, and I wouldn't be surprised that if I right now talked to a Microsoft support rep via their website that they would tell me that I can do this. It seems to me entirely deliberate that Microsoft is enabling this, and that the 'free upgrade period' was just a PR stunt to create hype with a sense of urgency and exclusivity - all for the purpose of herding as many people to Windows 10 as quickly as possible. Microsoft makes big money by harvesting / stealing people's data in Windows 10, and so for every person not using Windows 10, Microsoft is producing less money.

Why not contact Microsoft support chat and ask if you can use a Windows 7 license of yours to install Windows 10, or have it 'upgraded' by the support to Windows 10? I wonder if they wouldn't just offer to do it for you on the spot.

It doesn't.. it is not officially supported, and risk voiding your product key. But ignoring this: Based on your logic: getting pirating tools for software also "Works", so it must be legal... this argument will work great in court. "The fact that I can drive my car at 200km/h on a 30km/h zone MUST be legal" I can't wait to tell this at my court hearing.

Taking a path to circumvent something due to a bugs (assuming what you said works, but doesn't, unless it was reserved, which probably was), is still illegal.

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It doesn't.. it is not officially supported, and risk voiding your product key. But ignoring this: Based on your logic: getting pirating tools for software also "Works", so it must be legal...

That would only be comparable to my logic if software companies had designed multiple avenues to deliberately distribute their software for free, and were ensuring that those avenues remained open for use in the face of widespread knowledge of those avenues. I imagine that Microsoft received many queries about the matter through their support, yet continued to allow those avenues to remain open.

Taking a path to circumvent something due to a bugs (assuming what you said works, but doesn't, unless it was reserved, which probably was), is still illegal.

Suggesting it is a bug is wild conjecture, and I think is an idea that doesn't make sense. I know for certain that was still working a few months ago, 1 year beyond the advertised 'free upgrade' period.

Did you just try it to see if it works?

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

That would only be comparable to my logic if software companies had designed multiple avenues to deliberately distribute their software for free, and were ensuring that those avenues remained open for use in the face of widespread knowledge of those avenues. I imagine that Microsoft received many queries about the matter through their support, yet continued to allow those avenues to remain open.

Suggesting it is a bug is wild conjecture, and I think is an idea that doesn't make sense. I know for certain that was still working a few months ago, 1 year beyond the advertised 'free upgrade' period.

Did you just try it to see if it works?

I had, and it didn't work. Also, if what you say is true, why not just say "Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 is free"? Why develop specific solutions for specific cases like those with specialized accessibility devices that use a  lot of code injections in software and memory tracking to allow such solution to work, which results in taking years to support a new version of Windows, and so those with such specialized accessibility tools  are 1 or even 2 version of Windows behind

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I had, and it didn't work.

Did you try using the proper Windows 10 edition for the Win 7 / 8 license, or try replacing the license-type with the same license-type (eg: retail with retail)? 

Also, if what you say is true, why not just say "Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 is free"? Why develop specific solutions for specific cases like those with specialized accessibility devices that use a  lot of code injections in software and memory tracking to allow such solution to work, which results in taking years to support a new version of Windows, and so those with such specialized accessibility tools  are 1 or even 2 version of Windows behind

The special accessibility needs page is another instance of Microsoft keeping open avenues for people to freely turn their Windows 7 / 8 keys into Windows 10 keys, without any verification.

The ability to continue using Windows 7 / 8 keys to install Windows 10 after the 'free upgrade' period hasn't been a guarded secret. It's been mentioned on LTT numerous times before, and I've seen people boasting about upgrading tons of Windows licenses after the 'free upgrade' period. I believe that the only way it could have remained possible for people to do this is because Microsoft chose to allow it, so that more people would install Windows 10.

And why wouldn't Microsoft just say Windows 10 is free for Win 7 / 8 license owners? Because of the negative PR messaging that would suggest. It would be embarrassing for Microsoft to admit that:

1) Microsoft is desperate to have people install Windows 10

2) The free upgrade period was PR fluff, and just a way to manipulate people into quickly installing Windows 10

3) Their free upgrade offer wasn't nearly as successful as Microsoft had wanted it to be

4) Having people run Windows 10, even for free, is making Microsoft money - which will attract more attention to how a free product is making MS money and raise more awareness to privacy concerns and how much data Microsoft is taking from people, and how Microsoft is using people's data

With all the collection and selling of people's data that Microsoft is doing with Windows 10, having people use Windows 10 is effectively running a perpetual money generator for Microsoft, while every person not using Windows 10 represents a bit less money that Microsoft is making each day. It is not difficult to think why Microsoft's primary concern is to get more people using Windows 10 - whether they pay for it or not.

Also, do you think that Microsoft, the company that nagged, manipulated, and deceived people to get Windows 10 to automatically install on their machines during the 'free upgrade' period, for some reason is no longer interested in getting Windows 10 installed on as many PCs as possible just because the advertised 'free upgrade' period is ended? Microsoft pulled every dirty trick to get Windows 10 installed on as many PCs as possible even when people didn't want it. I think that Microsoft would love to have as many more people continue to 'upgrade' their Win 7 / 8 licenses for free, still now.

Also, Microsoft is allowing people to use a watermarked Windows 10 for free without any pre-existing license - showing that Microsoft's #1 priority is getting people to use Windows 10, whether they paid for it, or not.

26 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Did you try using the proper Windows 10 edition for the Win 7 / 8 license, or try replacing the license-type with the same license-type (eg: retail with retail)? 

The special accessibility needs page is another instance of Microsoft keeping open avenues for people to freely turn their Windows 7 / 8 keys into Windows 10 keys, without any verification.

The ability to continue using Windows 7 / 8 keys to install Windows 10 after the 'free upgrade' period hasn't been a guarded secret. It's been mentioned on LTT numerous times before, and I've seen people boasting about upgrading tons of Windows licenses after the 'free upgrade' period. I believe that the only way it could have remained possible for people to do this is because Microsoft chose to allow it, so that more people would install Windows 10.

And why wouldn't Microsoft just say Windows 10 is free for Win 7 / 8 license owners? Because of the negative PR messaging that would suggest. It would be embarrassing for Microsoft to admit that:

1) Microsoft is desperate to have people install Windows 10

2) The free upgrade period was PR fluff, and just a way to manipulate people into quickly installing Windows 10

3) Their free upgrade offer wasn't nearly as successful as Microsoft had wanted it to be

4) Having people run Windows 10, even for free, is making Microsoft money - which will attract more attention to how a free product is making MS money and raise more awareness to privacy concerns and how much data Microsoft is taking from people, and how Microsoft is using people's data

With all the collection and selling of people's data that Microsoft is doing with Windows 10, having people use Windows 10 is effectively running a perpetual money generator for Microsoft, while every person not using Windows 10 represents a bit less money that Microsoft is making each day. It is not difficult to think why Microsoft's primary concern is to get more people using Windows 10 - whether they pay for it or not.

Also, do you think that Microsoft, the company that nagged, manipulated, and deceived people to get Windows 10 to automatically install on their machines during the 'free upgrade' period, for some reason is no longer interested in getting Windows 10 installed on as many PCs as possible just because the advertised 'free upgrade' period is ended? Microsoft pulled every dirty trick to get Windows 10 installed on as many PCs as possible even when people didn't want it. I think that Microsoft would love to have as many more people continue to 'upgrade' their Win 7 / 8 licenses for free, still now.

- Microsoft is not desperate for people to install Windows 10. If they were, it would be free forever.

- Why hide the free upgrade, If it is free? Avg consume will need to buy Windows 10.

- Microsoft is interested in people using their services. It is up to them to make them compelling enough for people to use Windows 10 and use these services.

Anything you said has 0 justification that you said is legal. Unless you show me an ACTUAL Microsoft document that says that it is legal, this forum consider that it is illegal to ensure protection of the forum and LMG. LMG is a Canadian company and has to follow Canadian laws. Your opinions on a software maker, and "they allow me, so it must be legal" will not change this, maybe if you become the country Prime Minister you can change laws as you please, but until then, we abide by the law. Sorry.

If you go to a store, and you see apples outside, you still need to go in an pay the store for the amount of them you picked, doesn't mean "you can walk away" that it is legal.

Well, I'm sure it's by Microsoft's design that it does work. Word is that it is still working, too - at least, one person tells me it worked for them a couple of weeks ago.

The free license upgrade for accessibility is still available, too: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I would actually say, GoodBytes, that you need to prove that using a Windows 7 or 8 license key to install and use Windows 10 is not legal. There has to be something establishing it as not allowed for it to be argued that it is anything akin to stealing. Microsoft has apparently enabled it, and left it enabled for over a year despite widespread public awareness, so why assume that it's not by design? Where does it say that a person may not use a Windows 7 or 8 license key to install Windows 10? It seems obvious to me that Microsoft simply wants people to use Windows 10 no matter what (so that Microsoft can make money off of people's usage data).

The store's apple analogy doesn't quite compare, since the store would lose money if people take their apples without paying for them - whereas Microsoft loses money if people don't use Windows 10. If the store would make money every day from each person who took an apple from them, it would be comparable. Microsoft's business is no longer primarily the sale of licenses, but by collecting data generated once Windows 10 is installed on peoples' machines.

I tried contacting MS support to ask them about it yesterday and today, but the contact support options on MS's website are not working for me, and they report this error after trying to connect several times in a row without success:

"Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.
The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again."

I will try again today, and tomorrow if I it doesn't work for me today.