Can a 1050 Ti run 2 monitors at once while gaming on one?

Go to solution Solved by Navbryce,

Yah, you're fine if it's just like google chrome or something else on the monitor. Having two monitors where only one is just browsing the internet doesn't stress the graphics card as much as you think. 

For example:

I'm doing exactly what you want to do: Gaming (7 days to die, World of Warships, Gmod) on one monitor, internet on the other monitor on a Radeon 7770 HD 1 GB VRAM.

I used to have a 780TI but it died. Well it died. I fixed it with a toaster. Then a month later, it died again. I'm just waiting for Vega...still.

I am building a PC with the intention of upgrading the graphics card to a 1080 Ti next year sometime due to insufficient funds ( Can't afford the card, or the monitor that would make it worth getting). I need to know if a 1050 Ti will be powerful enough to game on high settings at 1080p while using a second monitor for browsing etc. The rest of the build is plenty to accommodate a 1080 Ti, so the only bottleneck I'm worried about for now is if the cheaper graphics card will hold up until I can afford the 1080 Ti

Will the 1050 Ti be enough to do what I want for now or should I go for a 1060 6GB or something?

NOPE. I wouldn't do it unless you have a 1070 but a 1060 6GB should be fine.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I still have a GTX 680 and I game all be it not the latest AAA titles on full resolution but medium to High settings depending on the title and run 3 monitors. I would say yea you'll be fine.

How does a 680 compare to a 1050 Ti?

My current computer is a laptop with an i7 4700HQ and a gtx 780M and I have it wired up to one monitor and I use the laptop screen as an extra monitor and it seems to do fine, but I haven't tried gaming on it while displaying both monitors at once

Can a 1050 Ti do 1080p high settings on a single monitor? Because I only really need the second monitor for productivity, I could just unplug it while I'm gaming if the card can't handle both at once.

Yah, you're fine if it's just like google chrome or something else on the monitor. Having two monitors where only one is just browsing the internet doesn't stress the graphics card as much as you think. 

For example:

I'm doing exactly what you want to do: Gaming (7 days to die, World of Warships, Gmod) on one monitor, internet on the other monitor on a Radeon 7770 HD 1 GB VRAM.

I used to have a 780TI but it died. Well it died. I fixed it with a toaster. Then a month later, it died again. I'm just waiting for Vega...still.

yes you can. I've done it.

I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

Yes, you'll be fine.

12 minutes ago, JDE said:

NOPE. I wouldn't do it unless you have a 1070 but a 1060 6GB should be fine.

I sure hope this is sarcasm.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I wouldn't imagine there'd be an issue. I used to have a 760 FTW with 4 monitors and gamed just fine while using the others for streams or random internet pages. Now I'm using a 1060 3GB, but I can't imagine two monitors being an issue for a 1050Ti.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

Yes, you'll be fine.

I sure hope this is sarcasm.

It is...

maybe maybe not

depends on the game though, and that's all I will say

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Yes, simply running monitors doesn't take any significant power from the GPU. I did a load of testing a while back using 3 1080p monitors and a 4K monitor and found that there wasn't a single configuration where just running the other monitors with something like Chrome or the desktop on made any difference to performance. Any changes to performance were negligible, and that was with running an extra 4K and 2x 1080p monitors in the "worst case". Just running one extra monitor will make no difference. 

1 minute ago, JDE said:

It is...

maybe maybe not

depends on the game though, and that's all I will say

It doesn't even really depend on the game that much. An internet browser (conjecture) uses a negligible amount of VRAM and GPU processing power for a discrete graphics card.