R9 390X Overheating

So My GPU is the MSI R9 390X and its running way too hot, 65c idle and 95c load. after a few minutes of running GTA5 Max 1440p my screen will go black and then will restart. Why is this happening?

Did you OC it?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Did you OC it?

No, its at stock 1080mhz

65C Idle is normal. It won't spin it's fan unless it's over 65C, so when it reaches it, it will maintain it at idle.

Now, for load,

A. is your case small or have optimal air flow? My friend had an issue before just like the one you describe, and it was because his case lack proper airflow for an open cooler card and because it was SFF.

B. Have you change your thermal paste, it might change the temps a degree or two, but not by much.

Just now, itsmyjobtoknow said:

65C Idle is normal. It won't spin it's fan unless it's over 65C, so when it reaches it, it will maintain it at idle.

Now, for load,

A. is your case small or have optimal air flow? My friend had an issue before just like the one you describe, and it was because his case lack proper airflow for an open cooler card and because it was SFF.

B. Have you change your thermal paste, it might change the temps a degree or two, but not by much.

these temps are in the Corsair Spec 02 with the side panel off for better airflow 

2 minutes ago, xXATHERIALXx said:

these temps are in the Corsair Spec 02 with the side panel off for better airflow 

Like I said, 65 degree idle is COMPLETELY normal, I have the same exact card.

What you may want to do first, is set the fan speed at 100% when playing game, (yes it will get audible).

See if that makes it any better, if not....you have an option to reapply the thermal paste, or get a new card

Edit: OR attempt to complain with MSI and tell them your problem to see what they can do for you (I doubt they'll do anything though)

Just now, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Like I said, 65 degree idle is COMPLETELY normal, I have the same exact card.

What you may want to do first, is set the fan speed at 100% when playing game, (yes it will get audible).

See if that makes it any better, if not....you have an option to reapply the thermal paste, or get a new card

I have the gpu on a custom curve so its always 100% past 70c, and ive changed the thermal paste with no improvements 

Make sure you didn't apply too little thermal paste on the GPU...as the Hawaii chipset is huge.

Other possible solution is to get a better cooler on the card, whether or not it is an CLC or a beefer heatsink is up to you.

OR do the ghetto way and place a 120mm/140mm fan near the card so it can more airflow.