is this really a good way to do this

Lilninjsways

(yes this is a question related to one of my previous posts) is this really a good way of taking temperature with my nzxt sentry 3

20170804_182948.jpg

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Yes. it is probably the best place to put a thermal probe. There it is not in the way of anything and it is close to the cpu.

Just make sure it touches the metal of the ihs.

id put it under the CPU lid as close to the chip as i could on the IHS, but seeing as thats probably not an option thats probably your best shot

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 minutes ago, Hawoezeka said:

Yes. it is probably the best place to put a thermal probe. There it is not in the way of anything and it is close to the cpu.

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id put it under the CPU lid as close to the chip as i could on the IHS, but seeing as thats probably not an option thats probably your best shot

so (I'm not home right now due to me helping someone else) does it have something to stay down so it doesn't move putting the lock down?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

17 minutes ago, Hawoezeka said:

also do I NEED the tempature probe?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

so (I'm not home right now due to me helping someone else) does it have something to stay down so it doesn't move putting the lock down?

is looks like it is where the tabs of the socket push down on the cpu(at least on intel) 

to make sure you could put some thermal paste in between 

3 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

probably a smal bit of tape, thats what the probe i have laying around has

1 minute ago, Lilninjsways said:

no clue, if its there id put it on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably a smal bit of tape, thats what the probe i have laying around has

no clue, if its there id put it on

I'm paranoid ima mess something up haha (I'm just always paranoid) if I do it what type of tape? 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

only when you want the controller to change fan speed when temps go up

Polyimide Tape would be good

or if available use some included adhesive or tape

4 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

I'm paranoid ima mess something up haha (I'm just always paranoid) if I do it what type of tape? 

any tape that can survive around 100C, preferably a bit more

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Hawoezeka said:

Polyimide Tape would be good

or if available use some included adhesive or tape

i need the cheapest option that's also the safest

any tape that can survive around 100C, preferably a bit more

ok... I'm guessing it will be fine if I had the fan controller hooked up and just not with the temperature probe where it should be? till I get good tape.... or is there another place that Will work? (i have a stock cooler)

Spoiler

you could use a paperclip to attach it to cooler fins

wont look that good but will do a similar job

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

i need the cheapest option that's also the safest

ok... I'm guessing it will be fine if I had the fan controller hooked up and just not with the temperature probe where it should be? till I get good tape.... or is there another place that Will work? (i have a stock cooler)

the only real place to put the temp probe is around the IHS, so there isnt really another place to put it unless you want to crush it under the cooler

Builds:

Spoiler

the only real place to put the temp probe is around the IHS, so there isnt really another place to put it unless you want to crush it under the cooler

I'm guessing I can't connect the fan controller to like the bios or something so I can easily control it without worrying about the temperature probe?

Spoiler

I'm guessing I can't connect the fan controller to like the bios or something so I can easily control it without worrying about the temperature probe?

you can use the fan headers on your board but thats about it unless you want to get into software controlling the PWM signal that goes into the fan controller or something like that. you cant do temperature controll without that probe i would assume

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can use the fan headers on your board but thats about it unless you want to get into software controlling the PWM signal that goes into the fan controller or something like that. you cant do temperature controll without that probe i would assume

so there's no software?

Spoiler

so there's no software?

i cant think of any software that would let you do anything beyond change any PWM signals that come into the fan controller if its even connected to the motherboard.

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i cant think of any software that would let you do anything beyond change any PWM signals that come into the fan controller if its even connected to the motherboard.

pwm?

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Lilninjsways said:

pwm?

Pulse-width-modulation. It's how a lot of things including the VRMs and 4 pin fans in a computer are controlled 

Builds:

Spoiler

Where ever you put it, it will still be inaccurate compared to what softwares are getting directly from chip. Its mainly for showing temps at screen. And maybe doing some curve thingy. But if you are just going to be running fans at constant speeds, really doesn't matter that much.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv