Should I Have Gone for Ryzen?

Hello guys,

So basically, last week I was at Tampa for a wedding, and on the way back I decided to make a small detour to go to Micro Center in Duluth, Georgia (I live in Tennessee, y'all!) to get some pc parts for my new build. At Micro Center I got a pretty sweet deal on a 7700K for $299.99 USD, and also purchased my motherboard, monitors, and internal storage devices. I didn't bother to look at what prices they had for Ryzen 7 1700Xs (The X version because X's make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside) because I had never considered them as a CPU that I would get. I mean I new some basics about Ryzen, but never really looked into it. But anyways, everything was good at Microcenter and I was on my merry way back to Tennessee. When I reached my home, I was pleased, but for some reason I just started looking more into Ryzen 7. I started with reviews and worked my way onto the forums, and a pretty good amount of people recommended the R7 1700(X) over an i7 7700K (tho there might have been some bias lol). Now, I don't do any real heavy multi tasking, so to say, mostly my new rig will be used for 1440p gaming (along with my 1080Ti). But I had really hoped to use this pc for 3-4 years before needing to upgrade. So, should I have gone for Ryzen? I was reading somewhere that newer games may start using more cores, where Ryzen would be helpful in the future. It would be tough but I might be able to go back to Micro Center to return my 7700K and get a 1700X, but would it really be worth it? Thanks all.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Just now, KSP said:

Hello guys,

So basically, last week I was at Tampa for a wedding, and on the way back I decided to make a small detour to go to Micro Center in Duluth, Georgia (I live in Tennessee, y'all!) to get some pc parts for my new build. At Micro Center I got a pretty sweet deal on a 7700K for $299.99 USD, and also purchased my motherboard, monitors, and internal storage devices. I didn't bother to look at what prices they had for Ryzen 7 1700Xs (The X version because X's make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside) because I had never considered them as a CPU that I would get. I mean I new some basics about Ryzen, but never really looked into it. But anyways, everything was good at Microcenter and I was on my merry way back to Tennessee. When I reached my home, I was pleased, but for some reason I just started looking more into Ryzen 7. I started with reviews and worked my way onto the forums, and a pretty good amount of people recommended the R7 1700(X) over an i7 7700K (tho there might have been some bias lol). Now, I don't do any real heavy multi tasking, so to say, mostly my new rig will be used for 1440p gaming (along with my 1080Ti). But I had really hoped to use this pc for 3-4 years before needing to upgrade. So, should I have gone for Ryzen? I was reading somewhere that newer games may start using more cores, where Ryzen would be helpful in the future. It would be tough but I might be able to go back to Micro Center to return my 7700K and get a 1700X, but would it really be worth it? Thanks all.

youll be fine the 7700K is still the best cpu for just gaming

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

You're fine, it will last for a few years. Since you don't do multitasking much 7700k was a better choice. And you could still do some multitasking with it but not multiple intensive stuff. And hi from 20 minutes outside of Tampa.

yep i was in the same boat bought my 7700k a week before ryzen came out and felt bad for not waiting but im ok with it. atm i have no uses for 16 threads and the overclock i got on the 7700k is nice. right now im happy with the i7 i couldnt justify trying to do a new build for a cpu that i wouldnt take full advantage of 

Well speaking from someone who did wait for Ryzen I can tell you that price for performance is what sold me and since its a new platform I'm comfortable with the bugs that had to be worked out, Intel is still king for single core performance but for my use I'll trade off a few FPS for the ability to future proof my 1800x rig for several years and if AMD is right the AM4 platform will continue grow

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Since you're just gaming, the 7700k is the CPU you should've chosen. So no worries at all, you made the right choice for you.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

the so called "future proofing" stuff is in reality just "guessing, what will or wont happen within the next years". 

People are yelling "moar cores is the future" since core 2 quad (2006/2007).

Until then nothing major in gaming development has changed and everyone is waiting for better "real" Multithread support in games. We thought with DX12 its gonna start to get real, but yeah... still hasnt worked out so well..

You just cant buy anything in this hardwaremasterrace-business for the "future". Buy what you need now is the only choice you have. If you dont use anything multithreaded workload dependend there is no reason to a buy a 8C/16T CPU at all.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

7700k is a better gaming CPU.. no issues.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

Thank you all. As tempting as Ryzen is, I think I'll try out the 7700K first (it's still in the box lol). If I'm not pleased with the 7700K's performance, I'll probably give Ryzen 7 a shot. But thank you all for the replies!

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Future proofing is not a thing. Don't feel bad because new things come out. I bought a 1080 a month before 1080ti, and 680 1 or 2 months before 780. I initially regretted the 680 purchase but i was happy with it performed so I stopped regretting purchase

7 hours ago, Evolution90 said:

7700k is a better gaming CPU.. no issues.

Time to Switch --- xD

9 hours ago, KSP said:

Hello guys,

Dude, you have the CPU Ryzen 7 was trying to be.

Intel Core series have stronger single core performance and it only pars with R7 Multi-core performance (Which single-core performance is not so impressive, just like earlier AMD CPUs).

Your on good ground already.

As much as I love the Ryzen 1600.. you're fine. If I'm still gaming on a i7-3770 and i5-4690K after all these years the 7700K will last even longer. Just make sure you get some really good cooling and give it a nice overclock, that'll make it even more worth it. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

As much as I love the Ryzen 1600.. you're fine. If I'm still gaming on a i7-3770 and i5-4690K after all these years the 7700K will last even longer. Just make sure you get some really good cooling and give it a nice overclock, that'll make it even more worth it. 

Cool! Yeah, I purchased a NZXT Kraken X52 (because you can never have too much RGB amirite or amirite?), and I'm going to try to overclock to 4.8GHz on the 7700K, as soon as I have the system built!

Edited by KSP
I can't grammar lol

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Just now, KSP said:

Cool! Yeah, I also purchased a NZXT Kraken X52 (because you can never have too much RGB amirite or amirite?), and I'm going to try to overclock to 4.8GHz on the 7700K, as soon as I have the system built!

yeah man, those krakens are beautiful ! ! If I was staying in a case I'd sell my 400c and go S340 Elite+Kraken in a heartbeat, but got a new scratch build on the cards. 

Also don't worry about it man, its just some buyers remorse you got. I get exactly the same after some big purchases. You didn't buy a i3K so you didn't done goof. 

Enjoy  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333