How much and how to apply thermal paste?

robeng

Hi! I'm going to build my second computer. This is the first time I'm going to apply my own thermal paste. I'm using a i5-6600k and a CM Hyper TX3i. I need help to know how much I should apply and if I should apply it directly to the CPU or to the coolers contact area?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I just apply big enough pea sized thermal paste at the center of the CPU, everyone's method differs though.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Now It depends on the IHS size to know exactly how much to apply but normally just a pea sized drop and then you let the CPU cooler smear it evenly. There are some TIMs that require you to smear it first like liquid ultra and Gelid GC to name a few.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You need to be careful if its conductive

SPECS:

i5 6400

Asus H110i-PLUS

Kingston 8GB RAM

HyperX 3K 120GB SSD

Western Digital Black 320GB HDD

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Design Nano S

For that cpu, about a grain of rice sized glob, the cpu cooler will naturally spread it out. As long as you aren't using electrically conductive paste you could put a mountain on there, you won't lose cooling performance, you'll just have a mess to deal with, too little paste or bad coverage though will result in high thermals

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W