Is the PS4 Pro worth it for me?

PackYourBaggins

So I already own a PS4, and in hindsight, I wish I would've saved up a few more dollars to get the Pro, but I didn't think I'd need it cause I thought it was a console purely for people with 4K displays, but after actually doing some research into it, people say it runs games better, and some games have been updated from 900p to 1080p and 30FPS to 60FPS. Also shorter load times! I'm very tempted to sell my current PS4 and put the funds towards a PS4 Pro. But would it be a smart decision on my part?

I have my PS4 hooked up to a 1440p display if that changes anything.

go for it, ps4 pro is awesome, if you can afford it, FYI ps4 pro renders most games at 1440p or 1800p before upscaling them to 4k, it was designed more for 30 fps. 

i would wait for xbox one x, as that will most likely bring down the price. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

games like zero dawn, last of us, uncharted, crash make PlayStation more compelling, one X is good but most Xbox games will make it to PC. 

If you don't play a ton of exclusives but want (closer to) real 4K gaming wait for the One X

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

I really wish they had put the power into higher fps rather than more resolution.  How many people can actually tell the difference between true 1080p and higher at the screensize and distance combo they have setup?  I would bet it's pretty few.  Or better yet, give people the option to pick if they want more res or more fps.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

While I fully recognize this would probably be the smartest thing to do, the Xbox One X won't be released until November 7th, and boy oh boy, am I impatient. It's one of my worst qualities honestly. I'll have to think on that one.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

games like zero dawn, last of us, uncharted, crash make PlayStation more compelling, one X is good but most Xbox games will make it to PC. 

yes, but the price will most likely go down for the ps4 pro once the xbox is out, right? And the xbox is only a few months away, so OP can probably wait with their current ps4

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

He's saying that I should wait for the Xbox One X release cause it'll make the PS4 Pro come down in price. He wasn't saying I should buy the Xbox One X.

7 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

If you don't play a ton of exclusives but want (closer to) real 4K gaming wait for the One X

That's the thing. I LOVE PlayStation's exclusives. There aren't too many Xbox exclusives I wanna play outside of Halo and Crackdown. PlayStation has several I love. I already own an Xbox One, but I don't plan to get the Xbox One X. There's no reason for me to. I use my PS4 far more than my Xbox. And anything that isn't an exclusive, I play on PC, so there's that. Besides, with Microsoft releasing "Play Anywhere" titles, I can play a lot of Microsoft exclusives on PC. I played through the entirety of Gears of War 4 on PC. It was great!

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I really wish they had put the power into higher fps rather than more resolution.  How many people can actually tell the difference between true 1080p and higher at the screensize and distance combo they have setup?  I would bet it's pretty few.  Or better yet, give people the option to pick if they want more res or more fps.

is 4k in a tv really even necessary in the first place? For a device most people will watch at least 6 or 7 feet from, it seems like a marketing gimmick IMO. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

yes, but the price will most likely go down for the ps4 pro once the xbox is out, right? And the xbox is only a few months away, so OP can probably wait with their current ps4

7 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

He's saying that I should wait for the Xbox One X release cause it'll make the PS4 Pro come down in price. He wasn't saying I should buy the Xbox One X.

sony most likely won't drop the price, also you can pick up a ps4 pro on sale or on discount for 400$ with ps vr or games. 

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

is 4k in a tv really even necessary in the first place? For a device most people will watch at least 6 or 7 feet from, it seems like a marketing gimmick IMO. 

not a gimmick, i can tell the difference when playing native 4k content. 

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

IMO

not really up to opinion, yes you can if you used one. 

14 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

So I already own a PS4, and in hindsight, I wish I would've saved up a few more dollars to get the Pro, but I didn't think I'd need it cause I thought it was a console purely for people with 4K displays, but after actually doing some research into it, people say it runs games better, and some games have been updated from 900p to 1080p and 30FPS to 60FPS. Also shorter load times! I'm very tempted to sell my current PS4 and put the funds towards a PS4 Pro. But would it be a smart decision on my part?

I have my PS4 hooked up to a 1440p display if that changes anything.

What 30 fps on PS4 is 60 fps on PS4 Pro? I only see 30 fps games that can be run at 40-45 fps on PS4 Pro.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What 30 fps on PS4 is 60 fps on PS4 Pro? I only see 30 fps games that can be run at 40-45 fps on PS4 Pro.

It's just what I had heard. I haven't experienced it myself. Maybe it's not a full 30FPS more, but going from 30 to 45 is still a good improvement.

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

On the flip side, people think high frame rates are a gimmick and the content drops into the uncanny valley.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I agree but the cpu is crap in the pro. I'm hoping we get a PS5 with a Ryzen cpu that can handle 60 fps gaming, but I'm not seeing 60 fps as being very likely then either since by 2019 or 2020 when you might have 7nm Ryzen that go into a console games will be targeting 4k, and I strongly doubt we'll get a 4k60 gpu in a $400 console.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I agree but the cpu is crap in the pro. I'm hoping we get a PS5 with a Ryzen cpu that can handle 60 fps gaming, but I'm not seeing 60 fps as being very likely then either sine by 2019 or 2020 games will be targeting 4k and I strongly doubt we'll get a 4k60 gpu in a $400 console.

yup, if they use ryzen it will be impressive, easily can do 60 fps, even 120fps if devs optimize for it. 

9 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

It's just what I had heard. I haven't experienced it myself. Maybe it's not a full 30FPS more, but going from 30 to 45 is still a good improvement.

If you prefer uncapped framerates then the PS4 Pro is probably a no-brainer. Personally I don't so I went with a Slim. Plus I'm cheap and playing on a 1080p screen. xD

I just looked it up and Gamestop's offer sucks on PS4 500GB. They offer $120 for an OG PS4 500GB and $125 for a Slim PS4 500GB.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you prefer uncapped framerates then the PS4 Pro is probably a no-brainer. Personally I don't so I went with a Slim. Plus I'm cheap and playing on a 1080p screen. xD

I just looked it up and Gamestop's offer sucks on PS4 500GB. They offer $120 for an OG PS4 500GB and $125 for a Slim PS4 500GB.

Yeah, it's not great. Looks like no matter what I do, I'm gonna at least be paying $250-$300 to upgrade. I may wait for my next paycheck, but I really feel like it's a decent investment. While I'm primarily a PC gamer, I've loved PlayStation since the PS1, and I'll be playing it for a while.

3 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Yeah, it's not great. Looks like no matter what I do, I'm gonna at least be paying $250-$300 to upgrade. I may wait for my next paycheck, but I really feel like it's a decent investment. While I'm primarily a PC gamer, I've loved PlayStation since the PS1, and I'll playing it for a while.

PS4 was my first Playstation, and I loved it so much after getting it last December I bought a PS3 too a couple months later. But yeah, anything multiplat I'm getting on PC.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

PS4 was my first Playstation, and I loved it so much after getting it last December I bought a PS3 too a couple months later.

The PS3 is actually the one PlayStation console I have not owned. I went with the 360 in that generation. I'm currently in the market for a PS3 though, mainly to play Demon's Souls. The one place where PlayStation is lacking is backwards compatibility. Xbox is doing great with its backwards compatibility. I shouldn't have to buy a PS3 to play Demon's Souls, but it looks like I may have to.

19 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

The PS3 is actually the one PlayStation console I have not owned. I went with that 360 in the generation. I'm currently in the market for a PS3 though, mainly to play Demon's Souls. The one place where PlayStation is lacking is backwards compatibility. Xbox is doing great with its backwards compatibility. I shouldn't have to buy a PS3 to play Demon's Souls, but it looks like I may have to.

LOL, same here with the 360 and finally buying the PS3 years later for Demon's Souls. I was a strictly PC gamer from the mid 1990s to the mid 2000s, but badly wanted a PS3 and even took a job doing game testing at a game publisher in 2006 mostly to see the PS3 before anyone else. And when we started working on PS3s about 3 months before launch it felt like a dog. I literally bought a 360 a day or two after we first started testing on the PS3 (the game we were working on was world's better on 360 at the time). But I was pretty blown away by the 360 too, it wasn't just disappointment at the PS3.

But yeah, I finally bought my PS3 in January strictly to play Demon's Souls. And then I found out how many amazing exclusives the system has that I missed out on as a 360 gamer, so I have probably bought 35 PS3 games in the last six months, lots of them for $3 or less per game. The only expensive games I bought were Demon's Souls for $20 and Dragon's Crown for $20, both from Gamestop. I'll probably drop another $35 to get Nier for PS3 too even though I know it's nowhere near as good as NieR Automata.

EWW CONSOLE PLEB 

but what ive seen on the PS4 pro it's really good and it can do 4k also 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500