Am i suppose to plug my fans into my psu?

Hey, recently i have been trying to figure out how to build my computer and ive noticed something. How am i suppose to turn on my water pump? If i click my power supply on my water pump does nothing if it is plugged into one of the fan headers in my motherboard so is there some kind of way to plug my waterpump into my power supply? or is it becuase my motherboard is dead (it is dead ive checked) but is that the reason why? or something else to why my water pump isnt turning on? is there a switch on the pump or somethin?

If you plug them into the PSU directly in all likelihood they will run at 100% power all the time, and will not be controllable.  You should be plugging them into the fan headers on your motherboard, or a dedicated fan controller.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

For the water pump, make sure you haven't plugged it into the CPU fan header. This header is for air coolers where the fans change speed depending on your CPU temps, but a pump should receive a consistent level of power. Plug the pump into a non-CPU labelled fan header, and check the fan profile for that header in your BIOS when you can. Or you can just plug it into the PSU with an adaptor.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18 hours ago, TrigrH said:

To fill a custom loop you want to adapter (molex/sata) the water pump to the PSU then jump start the PSU.

For normal operation use the pump header (i think).

thanks so i use one of the sata cables for the psu and connect my pump using a molex to sata adapter? Theres also a fan 3 pin for my water pump there where do i plug this in? my motherboard?

4 hours ago, chowderblue said:

thanks so i use one of the sata cables for the psu and connect my pump using a molex to sata adapter? Theres also a fan 3 pin for my water pump there where do i plug this in? my motherboard?

its best to link the exact item we are talking about here so we can help you out.

Most modern boards have a header for a pump. For example, my ASUS 970 pro gaming has a header labeled "W_PUMP". If you do not have a designated header for water pumps you can do two things, you can get a molex adapter, or plug it in to a very easy to remember fan header and set it to %100 using whatever utility you have. Just beware if you have an auto-tuning utility you want to override it in either BIOS or the utility because once you update the utility chances are it will adjust the speed to what it thinks is suitable for a fan because it does not know that it is a pump.

On 7/27/2017 at 4:20 AM, CaptainSav916 said:

Most modern boards have a header for a pump. For example, my ASUS 970 pro gaming has a header labeled "W_PUMP". If you do not have a designated header for water pumps you can do two things, you can get a molex adapter, or plug it in to a very easy to remember fan header and set it to %100 using whatever utility you have. Just beware if you have an auto-tuning utility you want to override it in either BIOS or the utility because once you update the utility chances are it will adjust the speed to what it thinks is suitable for a fan because it does not know that it is a pump.

im using the extreme 4 x99 motherboard. i just got a molex to sata adapter online but iy turns out the cable from my psu is a female sata and so is the molex to sata. so now what.

and i have a evga supernova 850 gold + power supply. no fucking clue how to turn my computer on. the pump is not working and im assuming its because its connected to the motherboard and not the powersupply. so thats why i asked how to plug my waterpump into my power supply. 

On 7/25/2017 at 9:38 PM, Dargenfire said:

For the water pump, make sure you haven't plugged it into the CPU fan header. This header is for air coolers where the fans change speed depending on your CPU temps, but a pump should receive a consistent level of power. Plug the pump into a non-CPU labelled fan header, and check the fan profile for that header in your BIOS when you can. Or you can just plug it into the PSU with an adaptor.

thanks

On 7/25/2017 at 10:38 PM, TrigrH said:

To fill a custom loop you want to adapter (molex/sata) the water pump to the PSU then jump start the PSU.

For normal operation use the pump header (i think).

i got the 4 pin molex to sata but i dont know where to plug it in. i have bought a 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie instead tonplug my pump into my pau. is this correct and or the right way to do it?