Performance Impact Of Nvidia Shadowplay Instant Replay Testing

This is testing I have done over the last few days on the impact of Nvidia Shadowplay Instant Replay Recording on gaming preformance. These tests were run on my main gaming PC (Specs Link https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cvjypg) with no applications running other than the benchmarking software. The benchmarking software was restarted after every run of testing.

All testing was run using Nvidia WHQL Driver 384.76, and Geforce Experience Version 3.7.0.81  

The setting for Nvidia Shadowplay Instant Replay that were used:

Resolution: 1080p

Frame Rate: 60 FPS

Bit rate: 30 Mbps

Replay Length: 5 Min.

Link to testing Data and Analysis: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnPE2UQhg2sqiR3E0pVshAQTh3hq

If you have any input on how I can improve my spreadsheet or suggestions for other tests I should run, all input is welcome.

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

So you only lose about 1fps?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Bustapalapeno said:

Pretty cool! It would be neet if you tested @Shimejii's claim of manual recording with shadowplay as well. 

I use it all the time for my gaming youtube channel. You see a large dip in performance when you start and end the video with manual, with the inbetween being about the same if not slightly less (or in games like ARK 10-15 FPS less). 

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The biggest dip in FPS for Instant replay is when you actually hit Save. Otherwise it does not affect performance that much. If you do manual recording then you will see a much bigger difference

Alright. I don't know that, I may re do all of these tests while recording with the same settings instead.

Thanks for the Idea 

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

On 7/24/2017 at 2:46 PM, Shimejii said:

I use it all the time for my gaming youtube channel. You see a large dip in performance when you start and end the video with manual, with the inbetween being about the same if not slightly less (or in games like ARK 10-15 FPS less). 

@Bustapalapeno @Shimejii @Zando Bob

I started testing the performance impact of recording and figured out what was going on. Basically the fps while recording is exactly the same as in the data I have above. You do see an FPS dip when you hit the Start and Stop button if the save location is on the same drive as the game you are playing is running off of. 

As long as you change your temp file location and save location to a drive that is different from the one you are playing your games off of, you will see the exact same performance as I have in the spread sheet. 

22 minutes ago, LeviBW said:

@Bustapalapeno @Shimejii @Zando Bob

I started testing the performance impact of recording and figured out what was going on. Basically the fps while recording is exactly the same as in the data I have above. You do see an FPS dip when you hit the Start and Stop button if the save location is on the same drive as the game you are playing is running off of. 

As long as you change your temp file location and save location to a drive that is different from the one you are playing your games off of, you will see the exact same performance as I have in the spread sheet. 

Mine are, i have 3 SSD's, 500 GB M.2 for boot drive and games, 250 GB SSD for Recording footage, and a 750 GB ssd for temp files. I still see performance dips when starting and ending clips, but the inbetween like i said should be near the same if not a bit less depending on the system and other variables.

Yes during recording I don't really see much of a dip....just when I hit record. I only use manual settings.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Mine are, i have 3 SSD's, 500 GB M.2 for boot drive and games, 250 GB SSD for Recording footage, and a 750 GB ssd for temp files. I still see performance dips when starting and ending clips, but the inbetween like i said should be near the same if not a bit less depending on the system and other variables.

That's interesting, In my testing I have the game running on my 2TB ssd and then then both the temp folder and save folder are on my 500GB samsung 960 evo and I saw 0 fps dip when starting and stopping the recordings in that configuration

That's pretty cool. I've just had some stability issues and other gameplay failures related to shadowplay being enabled (I honestly don't remember anymore, but I do remmeber looking them up and people being like "turn off shadowplay" and then everything working again.)

Otherwise I'd totally be using it myself.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The first two seconds of my capture (make my games drop a few fps and then it quickly recovers)

The capture itself does not have this initial slowdown and my games only lose 1-2fps when using 1080p-1440p but when I am actually playing at 1600p-2160p then record, I can lose up to 10% of ingame performance on average. (I just make sure I have enough performance before this)

(Recording to Raid0 SSD) (In-GameRes/60FPS@100Mbps)

*Also never had any of these 'issues' that plague people..

GFE/Shadowplay has always worked whenever I needed it... but I know thats not the case for everyone.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

The first two seconds of my capture (make my games drop a few fps and then it quickly recovers)

The capture itself does not have this initial slowdown and my games only lose 1-2fps when using 1080p-1440p but when I am actually playing at 1600p-2160p then record, I can lose up to 10% of ingame performance on average. (I just make sure I have enough performance before this)

(Recording to Raid0 SSD) (In-GameRes/60FPS@100Mbps)

*Also never had any of these 'issues' that plague people..

GFE/Shadowplay has always worked whenever I needed it... but I know thats not the case for everyone.

Yeah seems like SLI+multimonitor+shadowplay+high refresh rate is the litany of asking for trouble.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS