Screen goes dark after few seconds into boot

Ruben360

Hey everyone

I have an Asus R9 270X. As mentioned in the title the screen goes black after a few seconds after it boots. Here's everything I know:

1. It's probably a GPU problem

I've tried different monitors and gfx cards and the problem only occurs when I'm using the R9 270X.

2. The screen doesn't go black when I boot into safe mode

Obviously that's not a fix but maybe it helps...

3. Updating drivers doesn't help

I've done it several times but no change

Is the gfx card dead? If yes, why does it work in safe mode?

If anyone could help me that would be awesome!

I havent been playing for 2 months now, hopefully we can get this fixed :)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Ruben

Have you tried to DDU all drivers and reinstall the AMD drivers from scratch?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Ruben360 said:

3. Updating drivers doesn't help

I've done it several times but no change

Have you tried to use DDU to uninstall all graphics drivers and then install a previous version of driver.

If it works fine in Safe mode, something tells me that it's a driver issue causing the black screen :) 

Alright how do I 'ddu' all the drivers?

Thanks for the quick resposes :)

19 minutes ago, Ruben360 said:

Alright how do I 'ddu' all the drivers?

Thanks for the quick resposes :)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Right I've run it and and the drivers are gone. Screen doesn't go black. Downloaded the newest driver, installed it and screen went black again mid install. What now?

25 minutes ago, Ruben360 said:

Right I've run it and and the drivers are gone. Screen doesn't go black. Downloaded the newest driver, installed it and screen went black again mid install. What now?

Did the screen ever come back after a couple minutes?

I've had the screen go black for a minute or so sometimes when updating drivers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did the screen ever come back after a couple minutes?

I've had the screen go black for a minute or so sometimes when updating drivers.

It went black and stayed like that for 20mins until I turned it off :/

Just now, Ruben360 said:

It went black and stayed like that for 20mins until I turned it off :/

Dang

It sounds like something is messed up with the drivers and communication to the card. Have you tried a different slot on the board? Where are you getting the drivers from?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes I have tried a different slot, no change. I'm getting my drivers from the AMD website. I'll try to find a really old driver (probs launch driver) to see if anything changes.

16 hours ago, Lurick said:

Dang

It sounds like something is messed up with the drivers and communication to the card. Have you tried a different slot on the board? Where are you getting the drivers from?

Tried the old driver (15.11) and screen still goes black right after I've installed it. I'm running out of ideas... What now?

EDIT: I was just browsing the web with drivers uninstalled (not on safe mode) and the screen went black once again

I remember taking the cooler off to replace the thermal paste a few months ago. Could the problem have been caused by maybe too little new thermal paste, or maybe a missing thermal pad somewhere?

Edited by Ruben360

1 hour ago, Ruben360 said:

Tried the old driver (15.11) and screen still goes black right after I've installed it. I'm running out of ideas... What now?

EDIT: I was just browsing the web with drivers uninstalled (not on safe mode) and the screen went black once again

I remember taking the cooler off to replace the thermal paste a few months ago. Could the problem have been caused by maybe too little new thermal paste, or maybe a missing thermal pad somewhere?

I would download GPU-Z and monitor the temperature of the card for a few minutes. If there is anything abnormal then that might be the cause.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

I would download GPU-Z and monitor the temperature of the card for a few minutes. If there is anything abnormal then that might be the cause.

I tried it. The thing is that GPU-Z doesn't detect the card unless it has drivers and I can't install the drivers because the screen goes dark. UGHH I FEEL SO STUCK!!! Do you know any other place I could also get help from?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ruben360 said:

I tried it. The thing is that GPU-Z doesn't detect the card unless it has drivers and I can't install the drivers because the screen goes dark. UGHH I FEEL SO STUCK!!! Do you know any other place I could also get help from?

Thanks

Hmmm, at this point I'm almost tempted to say the card is going bad.

You could try to reapply the thermal paste and maybe order some thermal pads just incase one got lost since the last time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Is this some sort of miraculous coincidence or a sign of something worse?

I have the same card as Ruben except from a different maker, PowerColor Red Devil Radeon R9 270X... and I just got the exact same problem one week after Ruben.  I run windows 10 for a few minutes, then screen maybe flickers once then turns black.  I've been using Crimson Relive Edition drivers for a few days so I wonder if Ruben has also been using these drivers too b/c maybe the drivers screwed these cards up.

Misc info:
Safe mode works, only tested like 20min.

Taking the GPU out of my PC and using onboard graphics works. It's what I'm doing right now.

Before I figured out the GPU was at fault I tried reseating all cables, returning CPU to stock settings - I do not OC anything else, different PSU, different power and video cables, different power outlets, different monitors, used direct driver uninstaller then amd's driver remover.

I do not have a different GPU to test.

I hope this thread gets to the top of search engines because I would love to know if other r9 270x users start popping up with black screening cards in the near future.