What DAC For Under $150? (And What's an ODAC?)

Max_Settings
3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Like I just said I read that DACs don't really improve all that much once you pass around $150. Because audio can only be cleaned up so well.

They do. It's just that you need more resolving gear and amp to hear the improvements. You get measurable better jitter performance.

Just now, SSL said:

That's how I know what I'm talking about, unlike people on reddit and youtube who have no actual experience with audio gear.

You seem determined do buy a DAC, and of course you must do what you feel is best. I'm just saying that low-end DACs in my experience do not make much difference. Your dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

If they don't make much difference then why don't you sell the ones you have since they are so worthless?

Just now, seduce_me said:

They do. It's just that you need more resolving gear and amp to hear the improvements. You get measurable better jitter performance.

If you read my post you would of seen that I bought an AMP

Just now, Max_Settings said:

If they don't make much difference then why don't you sell the ones you have since they are so worthless?

Haven't got around to it. In any case, it's not relevant, or your business.

Just now, SSL said:

Haven't got around to it. In any case, it's not relevant, or your business.

I don't see how that's not relevant. That seems a bit hypocritical. Telling me that cheap DAC and AMPs suck while at the same time having multiple cheap DACs and AMPs that you say are no good. I have done a ton of research into audiophile stuff and spent hundreds of hours watching videos from reputable audiophile Youtubers and everyone says that DACs, especially sub $200 ones are absolutely worth it.

I don't see how that's not relevant. That seems a bit hypocritical. Telling me that cheap DAC and AMPs suck while at the same time having multiple cheap DACs and AMPs that you say are no good. I have done a ton of research into audiophile stuff and spent hundreds of hours watching videos from reputable audiophile Youtubers and everyone says that DACs, especially sub $200 ones are absolutely worth it.

>reputable audiophile youtubers

>aune x7s

>zeos

>reputable

>reputable audiophile youtubers

>aune x7s

>zeos

>reputable

What? I will admit I have watched some of Zeos' videos but that's not all. And tell me what's wrong with the X7S?

I don't have multiple cheap DACs and amps (not "AMP"). I have a Fiio E10 which is too much of a cheap POS to bother selling. And I have the Modi, which I do not use at the moment. Selling stuff is a pain and I do not need the money, so I'm keeping it along with the Magni.

At the end of the day, it sounds like you may be over-researching this. Like I said, you can do what you like, but if you just want decent sound for the HD 650, skip the DAC for now.

Skip the DAC until you are ready to splurge on a gumby or Yggy. Unless you have a desire to waste $150.

1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

Skip the DAC until you are ready to splurge on a gumby or Yggy. Unless you have a desire to waste $150.

Dude, please tell me you didn't spend $2600 on a DAC

$2299

Now tell me that is worth the money over a $150 DAC

Now tell me that is worth the money over a $150 DAC

It is worth the money over a $150 DAC. There, happy?

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Hey @Dackzy can we get your opinion on this?

@Dackzy is busy these days and won't tell you anything different.

1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

It is worth the money over a $150 DAC. There, happy?

BS, go get your self a Modi and a switch and get some people, sit them down and see if they can tell the difference. Then come back and we'll talk

1 minute ago, SSL said:

@Dackzy is busy these days and won't tell you anything different.

Eh, we'll see if he responds

BS, go get your self a Modi and a switch and get some people, sit them down and see if they can tell the difference. Then come back and we'll talk

How is this relevant to this topic? I've tried many DACs from $100 - $10000, and a cheap DAC only makes an audible improvement if your onboard is complete crap.

59 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Eh, we'll see if he responds

if he does,  he will say the same or similar.

1 hour ago, seduce_me said:

a bimby would probably be worth it too.

but that's still $600

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

A yggy is 100% worth the money, the detail that it brings out vs basically anything else is just insane, but it is a lot of money to spend on a DAC. I would definitely buy one of I could afford one.

The cheap DACs aren't worth it if your onboard is good, yes you are maybe going to see a small improvement, this depends on your hearing which can be "flawless", but still not able to pick up the improvement.

You could go looking for old Theta DACs and research them, some models will give you schiit Gumby performance for maybe 500$, but they are old. My own DAC from blind AB testing is slightly below Gumby.

A company called Soekris are on their way with some new R2R DAC and amp combo's plus a stand alone R2R DAC, I think the standalone DAC is about 450€, which is very cheap for a R2R DAC, but we don't know if it is any good. I am keeping an eye on their combo's, since I might get one of them, but only if the DAC part can match a Gumby.

anyways back to work.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.