GTX 970: Still worth it?

Viper101
Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

I would get a single card for now and spend more money on upgrading the rest of your system.

FX has pretty poor IPC and its not going to help you with things like rendering 

This I have known tbh. 

Would it be worth going with a new CPU/Mobo/RAM before the GPU upgrades?

Or maybe just begin saving money like a mother trucker and buy basically a whole new system?

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

Also if you do go with an sli/cf setup that psu is not going to cut it 

Oh trust me, I knew that... 

This is my first PC build, the only thing I "upgraded" was the GPU. 

I started out with a sapphire R7 260X, which... just didn't cut it for most of the games I played. 

Still a good card though. 

22 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's worth it. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it ;)

$200 for a 970? wut. nonono. they are like $130 here and i wouldent pay a penny more

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Viper101 said:

Oh trust me, I knew that... 

This is my first PC build, the only thing I "upgraded" was the GPU. 

I started out with a sapphire R7 260X, which... just didn't cut it for most of the games I played. 

Still a good card though. 

The 960 has to be showing its age as well right?

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

The 960 has to be showing its age as well right?

Oh yeah. 

I mean, I can play BF4, Fallout 4, World of Warships, Civ V, and other games that are about that age extremely well. 

But stuff like Battlefront (1 and 2, EA), Battlefield 1, and more recent games struggle tremendously. 

I would advise waiting for a new architecture and in the mean time get like a ryzen 5 1600 and some b350 mobo 

2 minutes ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

I would advise waiting for a new architecture and in the mean time get like a ryzen 5 1600 and some b350 mobo 

Alrighty then. At least ryzen is in stock right now....

Plus some RAM. 

What speed does ryzen like?

Also, I guess the answer to this question is: No, a 970 isn't all that worth anymore. 

Thats a shame imo, I loved the 970s when they were released, just couldn't afford one :*(

The faster the better 

No slower than ddr4 3000

the prices on ryzen are really good right now too 

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

The faster the better 

No slower than ddr4 3000

the prices on ryzen are really good right now too 

Alright.

Here we go. 

I am not planning on overclocking, so that should save me some money with the Mobo, right?

I would overclock its free performance and will improve the gaming and editing speed of the chip

also B350 is fine for overclocking

5 minutes ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

I would overclock its free performance and will improve the gaming and editing speed of the chip

also B350 is fine for overclocking

Any recommended manufacturers? MSI or ASUS? Gigabyte? AsRock?

I had a bad experience with an AsRock board (DOA), and have an ASUS board in my rig atm.

I have an asrock board and its great 

I might go with an x370 if i were you if you want sli in the future as b350 does not officially support it 

thats only a 1500x also like i said you should go x370 if you want future sli

55 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

At the moment? About 250. 

In the future? Maybe 300. 

It all depends on whether or not I can land a job for the school year. 

Try and find a deal on a 980 or 980 Ti on Craigslist. I got my 980 Ti for $300 just before the mining craze, they're at about $350 now. I you're a good bargainer, you could ports whittle someone down to $300. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

As I have said, price is my major concern right now. 

So what I am going to do is just build this PC from the ground up. 

It'll take a little while longer, but I will have all the components I need. Then I can just drop them into the case rather than salivate over the components as they come in. 

This will allow me to go with the X370 solution, rather than the B350. 

Thank you all so much for your assistance on this subject!

Oh Maxwell cards are awesome for gamers, they just suck to the miners due to not being as efficient as Pascal/Polaris.

Don't be afraid to get one, way back I had to chose between a brand new 1070 or a Maxwell TITAN X 6 months used, went with the X and god damn terrific choice, the card manages stock 1080 potential for gaming when overclocked and it's CUDA Acceleration plus 12GB of VRAM are excellent and superior to the 1080 even. That was great for my brother who works with video editing and such, we got a 1080ti for me and he kept it.

A 970 delivers the same user experience of a 1060, being realistic with a few downs here and maybe even a few ups here.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)