Worth $50 for geek squad installation?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

There, saved you $50 :3

Note depending on your case, you may already have an SSD mounting point. Even then, you don't really need to mount it to the case.

Hello, I am going to buy a 850 Evo 1tb SSD and want to know if getting it 'professionally' installed with geek squad would be worth it. (No data transfer). It would cost around $50 for them to install it, but the ssd is currently $80 off. I am not familiar with installing drives, so I am thinking of just going the safe route and spending the money to install.

Do you think this would be worth it? I would still be saving $30 off the original price of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. That's a HUGE waste of money for them to open your computer, put in the drive, two cables, four screws and put it back together. You can easily do it yourself. You've just got to have the cables and know how to open your computer.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

desktop or laptop? If laptop then maybe. If desktop then NO. its super easy on both but i would understand if you dont want to do it on a laptop. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Why the fuck would you pay someone $50 to undo a few screws, put in a few screws, and connect 2 cables.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Why the fuck would you pay someone $50 to undo a few screws, put in a few screws, and connect 2 cables.

Good point

Just now, Mohenjo said:

desktop or laptop? If laptop then maybe. If desktop then NO. its super easy on both but i would understand if you dont want to do it on a laptop. 

It is a prebuilt, don't insult me.

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

No. That's a HUGE waste of money for them to open your computer, put in the drive, two cables, four screws and put it back together. You can easily do it yourself. You've just got to have the cables and know how to open your computer.

Ok yeah I will just put it in myself.

I will give  you my paypal information if you want to just throw 50$ away.. I am always open to free donations!!!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

There, saved you $50 :3

Note depending on your case, you may already have an SSD mounting point. Even then, you don't really need to mount it to the case.

I have a prebuilt with a slot dedicated to it already. Thanks for the assistance to tell me how retarded I am :wink:. I have warranty on it anyways

Another pretty scummy thing is the cost went from $40, to $140, to $50. gotta love the price changes in one day.

10 minutes ago, Saddy said:

Another pretty scummy thing is the cost went from $40, to $140, to $50. gotta love the price changes in one day.

well, it is best buy

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

If that $50 is just to install the drive and plug it in? Not worth it for a tech enthusiast who is capable of doing it themselves.

If that $50 also includes installing Windows and drivers + Windows Update, etc? That may well be worth it to some people. While it's not terribly difficult these days compared to how hard it used to be in, say, the Windows 98 days, it's still difficult enough that a total tech noob who has a good income and not a lot of free time? They may find it useful.

Personally I wouldn't pay that price... But then again, I used to work for Staples EasyTech (Staples version of Geek Squad), and I'm an IT Professional in a small-medium Enterprise environment. So I know exactly what I'm doing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

People should stop asking why people would pay $50 to install an SSD and instead ask the more important question; How do I get people to pay me $50 to install an SSD? :o

If you ask a mechanic "Would you pay someone $500 to replace your brakes?", he'd laugh in your face.

But Grandma isn't gonna be replacing her brakes by herself. Nor will most people.

Users on this forum tend to forget that we're by far, the vast tiny majority of computer users. Most people don't even know what an SSD is, let alone what to plug it into, or how to install Windows, etc.

People like that, keep people like me well employed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)